WnSoft Forums

Linking Images Across Slides

A major disadvantage of PTE is the fact that images can only be animated within the lifetime of a single slide. I would like to see a mechanism which allows to keep an image across the lifetime of several slides and an appropriate way to program animations.

A typical example: You want to show a constantly zooming background across the whole show, but you do not want to program the show within a single slide.

Regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

Whilst accepting that this would be a useful enhancement for some situations, it is quite easy to set up a spreadsheet to do the calculations to ensure smooth animation of an object across several slides. My Rubik's Cube sequence couldn't have been built without using Excel to do the calculations for me. And I know that the late JPD used Excel spreadsheets extensively to create his effects (as, I believe, does his protogé, Jean-Cyprien.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Working with a spreadsheet is not a solution, if at all, it is a workaround. Think of an object with a smooth animation that lives across 20 slides. Then change the display time of just one slide: How many parameters do you have to change, in order to keep the smooth animation? What do you propose in cases where the animation is not linear? Do you think that there are many users who would like to program shows in the way of JPD or Jean-Cyprien? If PTE is to be regarded as a professional tool for AV shows, then we should not take spreadsheets into consideration.

Regards,

Xaver

I think that you are possibly making it sound more complicated than it really is?

To take your example of 20 slides with a zoom of 100% all it needs is 20 slides - no transition effect.

"First" slide goes from 0% linear zoom to 5% linear zoom.

Second slide goes from 5% linear zoom to 10% linear zoom.

There appears to be no useful purpose in using anything other than linear (for the background image) because then it would not be a smooth zoom.

As my grandson keeps telling me, it is not rocket science.

If Igor can accomodate you without spending a huge amount of time on it - great.

If not the facility already exists to do what you want - I have used this method numerous times. Peter's method would make it easy if the number of slides and the zoom percentage means that you have decimal figures to cope with.

DG

Dave,

Let me tell you that you did not hit the point. Thank you for your calculations, but as a mathematician with a long research and teaching history, I actually do not need this help that much. If you had some experience with Wings Platinum or any other track based AV tool, you would better understand what I am thinking of. There are lots of situations where overlapping parallelism is of favour. But as long as PTE only offers a single track of slides these situations will be difficult if not impossible to handle. My proposal does not provide a complete solution, but it could be a step into the right direction.

Regards,

Xaver

Dave -

I tried your zoom method with no transitions but the zoom wasn't smooth. There was a slight pause at the end of each slide as it went to the next one.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I just tried it again with a newly created image to make sure that I hadn't missed anything.

Image size - 3240x2160 (3:2) - 1.5Mb file size.

Show options:

1620x1080 screen size.

20 slides - 10 seconds each - no transition.

Add first image (fit to slide) - set zero keypoint to 100% zoom - set keypoint at 10,000 to 105% zoom.

Copy and paste slide. Reverse keypoints. First keypoint in second slide is now 105% zoom.

Set keypoint at 10,000 (in second slide) to 110% zoom.

Etc.

Absolutely NO hesitation, no pause, no stutter - SMOOOOOOOTH zoom.

Computer details - Dual core 3Gx3G - 2Gb RAM - nVidia 7600 GS with 512Mb RAM. (Old technology!).

Further details on request?

DG

I'll try that -I did it a little different - probably the cause of the pause from slide to slide.

Greg

Thanks, Xaver. We're discussing this question already for a long time. The main difficulty how to integrate it to PicturesToExe to keep as possible more unified interface with current user interface. Probably we'll implement it in nearest versions. This feature in my TODO list.

... We're discussing this question already for a long time. The main difficulty how to integrate it to PicturesToExe to keep as possible more unified interface with current user interface. Probably we'll implement it in nearest versions. This feature in my TODO list.

That's fine, and I am glad to see that there is an understanding for architectural design questions in the right place :)

Regards,

Xaver

Dave -

Your link image zoom method worked fine - smooth.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi xahu34 and Peter,

Sorry for not answering this question before. I had to change my videocard. It didn’t want to work anymore!

I agree with you : it's not easy today to do what you want.

But  

- I F  there is not too much views ( but even with different durations and different effects of different duration – but not all effects),

- and  I F the view you want to animate across those different views has not too much keypoints, it is not really too difficult to do it - even with non linear speeds - without any difficult calculation : just to change the time of some keypoints, and just with subtractions.

See my example. A cube moving across 6 views with different speeds of rotation for 3 Frames (Cadre1 Cadre5 and cadre CubeA4 ). 6 keypoint’times to change for 6 views.

Of course, it’ll be much better if Igor have a look to do it easier !

SeveralViews.pt.zip

Hi Jean-Cyprien,

It really is a fine trick to place keypoints outside of slides, and spanning animations across several slides. On the other hand, if you extend an animation of an object across ten slides, you have to insert this object ten times and you have to adjust the keypoints ten times. The method works well. Nevertheless, it can only be regarded as a workaround. My friends using Wings will show a smile :)

Best regards,

Xaver