WnSoft Forums

Font-not working [SOLVED]

goddi

Greetings,

I recently created a show with text that used the 'Italianate' font. Works fine on my PC (Win10). Last night, I tried to play it on a friends laptop. The text showed up with some crazy lettering that was unreadable, some other font. I thought that this problem of fonts was resolved some time ago. I thought it  had to do with 'rasterizing' fonts, and we did not have to do it anymore.

Can someone  explain what happened? I was not able to do any screenprint or testing with that laptop when this happened.

Gary

You say you created a show - was it in exe format or video format? I'm assuming an exe format.  Fonts are converted to vector lines by PTE in an exe file but the font must reside on the computer doing the conversion. If you used the ziped PTE archive to create the exe on a computer which didn't have the font installed then another font would be substituted. 

For example, let's say you created the exe file on your computer which had the italianate font then also created a "File" "Create Backup In Zip" file which you then transferred to another computer which had PTE resident but didn't have the italianate font resident. Then if you subsequently re-created the exe file and played it on any computer, the font would be substituted for something on that computer by Windows. 

Best regards,

Lin

4 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

You say you created a show - was it in exe format or video format? I'm assuming an exe format.  Fonts are converted to vector lines by PTE in an exe file but the font must reside on the computer doing the conversion. If you used the ziped PTE archive to create the exe on a computer which didn't have the font installed then another font would be substituted. 

For example, let's say you created the exe file on your computer which had the italianate font then also created a "File" "Create Backup In Zip" file which you then transferred to another computer which had PTE resident but didn't have the italianate font resident. Then if you subsequently re-created the exe file and played it on any computer, the font would be substituted for something on that computer by Windows. 

Best regards,

Lin

Greetings Lin... I created the exe on my PC and played the exe on this other person's laptop. The Italianate font did not show up. Just some crazy lettering that made no sense.

Gary

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Not sure that I agree with this.

I just created an EXE on my Laptop which uses the Yananeska Personal Use Font.

It is definitely NOT resident on my desktop machine but nevertheless when the EXE was transfered the identical Font shows up - it is not a substitute - it is the real thing.

Or have I misunderstood what you said?

It might be a good idea if Gary posted the font or sent it to Igor for appraisal?

DG

Hi Dave,

Yes, perhaps I didn't make it clear. Once the exe is created on a system which has the font resident, the vector representation font is chiseled in stone. The text using the font which was on your laptop was translated by the exe file to vector lines.

However, if you use the zip feature to backup the PTE file and all associated files, the "font" is not part of that backup. So if you then use that zipped archive to create the same executable file on a system which doesn't have the font resident, PTE has no way of creating the vector file because it creates it on the fly AFAIK. 

Best regards,

Lin

Greetings All,

I just had an idea to try the exe on my wife's  PC. To my surprise, the  problem occurred. Here is what it looks like, the correct and the incorrect results. Any ideas???

Gary

PTE font-incorrect.jpg

PTE Font-Correct.jpg

Does the same exe file work on your computer which has the font installed? Not a copy of the exe, but the identical exe? I.e., copy the exe to a flash drive (thumb drive) and try it on all the computers.

Lin

3 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Does the same exe file work on your computer which has the font installed? Not a copy of the exe, but the identical exe? I.e., copy the exe to a flash drive (thumb drive) and try it on all the computers.

Lin

Lin... Ok.This is strange. The font plays fine on my PC and on my laptop. However, it does not play correctly on my wife's PC or on my older PC. What is more strange, in the 2 computers that the font plays incorrectly, I use the same font in the title slide and it plays fine. It seems to play incorrectly in this text block that has a list of cities. A black rectangle, which initially covers the list of cities, moves down keyframe by keyframe revealing each city in the text block, which shows the incorrect font.

Does this make any sense???

Gary

Added Later: Just checked to see if the font is installed in my other PC that does not show the font correctly, and it is not installed.

Font in Keyframes.jpg

Hi Dave,

Yes, perhaps I didn't make it clear. Once the exe is created on a system which has the font resident, the vector representation font is chiseled in stone. The text using the font which was on your laptop was translated by the exe file to vector lines.

However, if you use the zip feature to backup the PTE file and all associated files, the "font" is not part of that backup. So if you then use that zipped archive to create the same executable file on a system which doesn't have the font resident, PTE has no way of creating the vector file because it creates it on the fly AFAIK. 

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I created a zip file of this show. I unzipped it and played it on the PC where it did not play correctly (and did not have the Italianate font installed yet). The font of the text was some other font, as you stated would happen. I then installed the Italianate font on this PC and played the original exe and then the show displayed the text in the Italianate font. How can the exe now 'find' the Italianate font if it was not 'chiseled in stone' when it was originally created?

Gary

Hi Gary,

Actually, what I was trying to determine was whether you simply moved the original exe file to a different computer (in such case it should work whether or not the Italianate font was resident) or whether you had made a backup in zip and "created" the new exe on the computer which did not have the Italianate font resident. (In such case it should not work correctly). 

Best to let Igor sort it out and determine whether or not the vector images of the font are being properly created in version 9.

Best regards,

Lin 

2 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Gary,

Actually, what I was trying to determine was whether you simply moved the original exe file to a different computer (in such case it should work whether or not the Italianate font was resident) or whether you had made a backup in zip and "created" the new exe on the computer which did not have the Italianate font resident. (In such case it should not work correctly). 

Best to let Igor sort it out and determine whether or not the vector images of the font are being properly created in version 9.

Best regards,

Lin 

Greetings Lin,

Yes, that is exactly what I did when I tested the exe on the 4 different computers. I played the exe from my thumbdrive on each PC. Two showed the correct font and two did not.

What is inconsistent is that on the two PCs that did not show the correct font in the list of cities in the text block, the font did show correctly in the initial title slide.

And, if the font did not show correctly in the list of cities in the text block of the exe (where font is not resident), why would the font then show up correctly after I installed the Italianate font? I didn't think the exe would be looking for the font outside of the exe.

Gary

Gary,

Please send me:

1. Your EXE file.

2. Source project files in a ZIP.

Also let me know version of Windows on a PC where the EXE file with this font looks incorrectly.

In theory, once EXE file is created all text objects are converted to vector data and should be shown correctly on any PC or Mac.

I tested your font file on my PC with Windows 10 - text objects look correctly.

49 minutes ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

Please send me:

1. Your EXE file.

2. Source project files in a ZIP.

Also let me know version of Windows on a PC where the EXE file with this font looks incorrectly.

In theory, once EXE file is created all text objects are converted to vector data and should be shown correctly on any PC or Mac.

I tested your font file on my PC with Windows 10 - text objects look correctly.

Greetings Igor, Just sent to you via PM.

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

Thanks, I've received your files.

It seems that a problem occur on a computer where you created this original EXE file. PTE incorrectly converted this text object to vector data with this font. 

If I install this font on my Windows 10 and I open your project, everything is OK. Created EXE file looks rightly.

Please run PTE on a computer when you created this EXE (with wrong text font). Open this project and open the Objects and animation editor for Slide 3. Do you see correct or wrong view of a text object? Send me a screenshot please.

27 minutes ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

Thanks, I've received your files.

It seems that a problem occur on a computer where you created this original EXE file. PTE incorrectly converted this text object to vector data with this font. 

Please run PTE on a computer when you created this EXE (with wrong text font). Open this project and open the Objects and animation editor for Slide 3. Do you see correct or wrong view of a text object? Send me a screenshot please.

Greetings Igor,

I played your exe of my show on the PC where I created the project and the font is correct.

However, when I play your exe of my show on my other PC, it still does not show the correct font. It shows the same incorrect font that I showed above in previous posting.

The screenshot of the text object is the same as also shown in the above previous posting, showing the correct Italinate font. If I misunderstand your request, let me know.

The problem does not occur on the PC where I created the project or on my laptop that has nothing to do with creating the project. It plays fine on that laptop.

Also, your exe also does not show the correct font on my wife's PC, as before with my exe. What is strange is that the font works on the first title slide's text but not in the list of cities on the last slide text block.

Gary

Gary,

1. Do I understand you rightly, that my EXE file looks wrong on your another PC?

2. Can you install PTE on this PC and open this project in the O&A editor? Does Italianate font look correctly?

3. Please run the following 2 test EXE shows:

http://files.wnsoft.com/test/test-georgia.exe
Here I change your font to Georgia

http://files.wnsoft.com/test/test-italinate.exe
Here I used your original font Italianate.

How these EXE files will look on your another PC?

5 minutes ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

1. Do I understand you rightly, that my EXE file looks wrong on your another PC?

2. Can you install PTE on this PC and open this project in the O&A editor? Does Italianate font look correctly?

3. Please run the following 2 test EXE shows:

http://files.wnsoft.com/test/test-georgia.exe
Here I change your font to Georgia

http://files.wnsoft.com/test/test-italinate.exe
Here I used your original font Italianate.

How these EXE files will look on your another PC?

Ok, Good. I did try these two exe's on my other PC. The Italinate font did not show. It was replaced with some other font.

Ok...no more testing. Thanks. Let me know what was going on.

Thanks... Gary

On 09.05.2017 at 3:25 PM, goddi said:

Greetings,

I recently created a show with text that used the 'Italianate' font. Works fine on my PC (Win10). Last night, I tried to play it on a friends laptop. The text showed up with some crazy lettering that was unreadable, some other font. I thought that this problem of fonts was resolved some time ago. I thought it  had to do with 'rasterizing' fonts, and we did not have to do it anymore.

Can someone  explain what happened? I was not able to do any screenprint or testing with that laptop when this happened.

Gary

Gary,

We fixed this problem. Please try v9.0.10 Beta:

http://files.wnsoft.com/test/picturestoexe-setup.exe

• Igor changed the title to Font-not working [SOLVED]