WnSoft Forums

Audio in PTE 6.5

JEB

Hi,

This is an area that I have never been too confident with so I thought that now was the time that I should make the effort to understand it more clearly. I have put together a document that was intended to be two pages but has developed into twenty.

I hope it may be of help to others and I certainly hope that there are not too many errors. I would very much appreciate anybody who spots an error to bring it to my attention and I will endeavour to put it right.

One particular area of doubt is crossover. I have carried out some basic research with Audacity which suggests to me that I am correct in what I say, but I still have a little niggle of doubt!

I am indebted to Peter Appleton who manfully agreed to proof read for me. He did much more than that, pointing out at least a couple of howlers that I have been able to address. I should also give credit to Lin's video tutorial which I would strongly recommend all to watch.

This is the link

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uvnx8e46dx7lsu9/Audio in PTE 060810.pdf

Regards

John Barnett

One particular area of doubt is crossover. I have carried out some basic research with Audacity which suggests to me that I am correct in what I say, but I still have a little niggle of doubt!

John,

You and me both !!!

regards,

Peter

Jeb

Providing it's a normal PDF file you can upload it direct to your post like a picture, no need for Mediafire.

Regards Yachtsman1.

I understand there is a limit of 2 MB on the Forum, this is 3.5 MB.

John

Thanks for that John it will be most helpfull.

All ready printed.

All the best

RayC

Ray,

Don't rely too heavily on this as I'm no expert. This simply started out as an exercise to try to understand the topic a bit more clearly and it sort of grew!

I am hoping that some of our more talented members will confirm one way or another its accuracy.

John

Hi John,

An excellent explanation of audio in version 6.5. Thank you for the hard work.

May I just mention that if you place a second or subsequent sound on a track that already has a sound placed on it, the 'offset' time refers to the gap between the end of one sound and the start of the next sound rather than the offset from the start of the project, which only applies to the first sound on a track.

Putting extra, offset, sounds on a different track, as shown in the tutorial, makes it much easier to handle the offset. As you can't use the crossfade effect in this situation, you may have to engineer your own crossfades simply by setting fadein and fadeout times for each sound.

Of course, if you are simply adding another sound immediately after an existing one on the same track, crossfade becomes very useful.

Its a bit late in the evening for me, so I hope this is understandable. <_<

Cheers,

David P

Hi John,

An excellent explanation of audio in version 6.5. Thank you for the hard work.

May I just mention that if you place a second or subsequent sound on a track that already has a sound placed on it, the 'offset' time refers to the gap between the end of one sound and the start of the next sound rather than the offset from the start of the project, which only applies to the first sound on a track.

Putting extra, offset, sounds on a different track, as shown in the tutorial, makes it much easier to handle the offset. As you can't use the crossfade effect in this situation, you may have to engineer your own crossfades simply by setting fadein and fadeout times for each sound.

Of course, if you are simply adding another sound immediately after an existing one on the same track, crossfade becomes very useful.

Its a bit late in the evening for me, so I hope this is understandable. <_<

Cheers,

David P

David,

It's even later in the evening for me, so I'll leave that one till tomorrow but it looks like I have an additional bit of data to add once I've thought it through!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Just what I was seaching for! Pages 8 & 9 'Crossfading' and 10 'Audio Clip Properties' will be invaluable. I have to teach this, so first I need to understand it...

Many Thanks!

PhotoFlora

Hi,

This is an area that I have never been too confident with so I thought that now was the time that I should make the effort to understand it more clearly. I have put together a document that was intended to be two pages but has developed into twenty.

I hope it may be of help to others and I certainly hope that there are not too many errors. I would very much appreciate anybody who spots an error to bring it to my attention and I will endeavour to put it right.

I am indebted to Peter Appleton who manfully agreed to proof read for me. He did much more than that, pointing out at least a couple of howlers that I have been able to address. I should also give credit to Lin's video tutorial which I would strongly recommend all to watch.

This is the link

Regards

John Barnett

John, further to my earlier message, now I've had a good look, I would like to quote you fairly extensively, and 'borrow' some of your illustrations, to make up a presentation for my group of A-V enthusiasts. It wil be a PowerPoint presentation, and it will only be used for teaching a couple of relatively small classes here in Worcester. I'll credit you of course!

Look forward to your reply,

Best wishes,

Andrew Gagg

(Leader, Worcester U3A A-V and Photo groups)

Hi,

This is the link

Regards

John Barnett

John, further to my earlier message, now I've had a good look, I would like to quote you fairly extensively, and 'borrow' some of your illustrations, to make up a presentation for my group of A-V enthusiasts. It wil be a PowerPoint presentation, and it will only be used for teaching a couple of relatively small classes here in Worcester. I'll credit you of course!

Look forward to your reply,

Best wishes,

Andrew Gagg

(Leader, Worcester U3A A-V and Photo groups)

Andrew,

I'm flattered!

Certainly, use what you wish.

This started out as an exercise with exactly the same objective as you have. I will be expected to explain this to members of my group shortly and I recognized that I was not very confident so ended up with this document. Credit should also be given to Peter Appleton who proof read and raised a number of aspects which I subsequently included.

Hope its useful.

John

Sacrilege!!

How dare you!!

Using Powerpoint to demonstrate the finer points of PTE is decidedly non-PC.

Take the plunge and use PTE - your audience would appreciate it.

There is NOTHING that you can do in Powerpoint that you can't do (better) in PTE.;)

DG

Horses For Courses Dave! I get a lot of mileage from both these nags - PowerPoint is a great lecturer's medium (I do a fair bit), and PTE is the best thing since sliced bread - for making Audio-Visuals...

:)

Andrew

PS: I don't use a 'PC' for my lecturing, I use a lap-top... Heh, heh!

A.

Sacrilege!!

How dare you!!

Using Powerpoint to demonstrate the finer points of PTE is decidedly non-PC.

Take the plunge and use PTE - your audience would appreciate it.

There is NOTHING that you can do in Powerpoint that you can't do (better) in PTE.;)

DG

Credits to you both then, John, and thanks again - it was a most useful task to take on!

Andrew

Andrew,

I'm flattered!

Certainly, use what you wish.

This started out as an exercise with exactly the same objective as you have. I will be expected to explain this to members of my group shortly and I recognized that I was not very confident so ended up with this document. Credit should also be given to Peter Appleton who proof read and raised a number of aspects which I subsequently included.

Hope its useful.

John

This might be going off-topic.

I suppose it's what I've always been comfortable with. I see PP as having been written as a lecturer's medium, which stops and starts at will, and PTE (and others we won't name) as a vehicle for 'all-singing, all-dancing' presentations in real time.

I know that PTE can be set up to stop and start as one would for a talk, and also that I can achieve PTE-like effects with PowerPoint (with a struggle), but they seem to approach the problem from opposite ends, if you take my meaning - one's naturally 'real-time' and the other controlled by the speaker's pace.

That's my thoughts, anyway.

Best...

Andrew

Andrew,

I get the joke - but there are "PC" laptops and MAC Laptops (and that can also be taken both ways!!).

Seriously, I have found that PTE can be used much more creatively for presentations than PP.

DG