WnSoft Forums

How many are interested in adding small, short video clips?

I'm curious. There have been numerous people asking about adding video clips to their PTE shows and I wonder if I could get some feeling for the number of people who would want to add short video clips to a show now?

What if you could add small video clips, adjust the position of these clips on the screen, size the video dynamically, run other slides behind the video and animate other objects on the same screen while the video was running? Would that be something of interest?

If so, respond here and let's discuss it...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Ken,

I thought about putting it here, but it's really not about the future - rather about what we can actually already do! I sent you and email explaining.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

i relocated the thread

ken

Hi Lin - so many have expressed interest in adding video clips. We have just been waiting patiently until Igor adds it to the program. I for one think that that is one of the main things that are missing, and would really appreciate have the possibility of adding the items you mention - yguy

I'm curious. There have been numerous people asking about adding video clips to their PTE shows and I wonder if I could get some feeling for the number of people who would want to add short video clips to a show now?

What if you could add small video clips, adjust the position of these clips on the screen, size the video dynamically, run other slides behind the video and animate other objects on the same screen while the video was running? Would that be something of interest?

If so, respond here and let's discuss it...

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin

Yes please...I do like to add some video footage into my slide show Av's and can at this time

only do that by using Adobe Elelments.

Pro show Gold have just offered this facillity which is good, but firstly I would have to buy the software

and it does not allow any editing of the video. :angry:

This latter thing is not essential as I can still do that in Adobe, but better if I could tweak the length of the clip inside

pictures to exe.

Bob Robertson...rochdale uk

Hi Yguy, Bob,

O.K., here's what I have. I created a template which you can use to include up to 640 frames of video in your PTE show. You can position the video dynamically - that is you can move the clip anywhere on your screen at any time. You can dynamically size the video clip so you can make it larger or smaller. You can even place the video clip inside a mask and thereby limit the portion of the clip seen by the viewer. This can also be done dynamically. That's the "upside" of the template.

What I can't do is include the sound directly with the video clip. However, you can usually extract the sound and include it as an MP3 file to run simultaneously. So let me explain how this is accomplished and what you need in order to make it work.

First you need a video decompiler. These are "not" expensive and some are probably even available free. I use one called OSS Video Decompiler which sells for $20 U.S. and can be downloaded for a trial run here:

http://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-softsel...affiliate=77565

What you do is load your AVI, etc., file and run the decompiler to convert the individual frames to PNG files. You can convert AVI, MPTE, MPG, ASF or WMV format ot BMP, GIF, TIF, EMF, WMP, PCX, TGA, J2K, RAS and most importantly, PNG.

Once you have the video converted into individual PNG frames, then use a freeware product such as Irfanview:

http://www.irfanview.com

to select the 640 frames you want in your video clip and rename them using the formula "image ###" which will name the files image001.png, image002.png, etc.

Then simply overwrite the files I have included in the template by copying your new files into the folder with the provided PTE template and you have a video nested inside a frame. The frame can be then used to size and position the video clip when and where and how you wish. You can also simply copy the frame and files (just click on the frame - scroll to the last PNG file and hold down the shift key while you click on the last file) by selecting them. Then delete them, add a mask, click on the mask container and "Paste" the files and you have the frame and files inside the mask. You can then use the mask to select only the part of the video clip you wish to see and even size the image inside the mask via the Frame. Move the Mask Container wherever on the screen, etc.

Six hundred forty frames is about 21 seconds of video at 30 frames per second. The template can be expanded to have a longer video - but learn how to use it before getting too carried away.

What is the rest of the "down side?" Doing your video clip this way is memory intensive so any text you might add or other animations may require you to save your work very frequently, exit PTE and reopen to free memory up.

Does this work? Actually it works very well. You can slow your frames or speed them up by simply changing the default time because everything is actually rendered under a single slide with 640 objects each keyframed with its own timing which mirrors very smooth video.

Let me know if you would like to see a sample video file and I'll post one. Remember, video is quite space intensive because unlike executable PZR effects, the frames are not created on the fly but rather created and stored then played back sequentially. The sample file then will be around a 75 meg zipped executable download.

Here's a link to the template and more information:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....showtopic=10095

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Regarding your new template, I must say: a highly sophisticated work. I reminds me (to some extent) to the approach of JPD who once demonstrated a zoom in a frame in front of a zooming background. Today, having masks at hand, JPD's example is easy to realize. So I hope not to be regarded as being unfair, if I say that your construction is to be seen as a workaround, not as a solution. The solution has to be provided by WnSoft: Insertion of video objects.

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Xaver,

Of course, not unfair at all - it's definitely a workaround for video, but it allows the user to do some things not otherwise currently possible until video objects are implemented in PTE.

It also allows creations of some types of custom animations not possible at all with video clips such as creating the axis rotation of celestial objects which are in orbit around the sun, etc. Even when video objects become available in PTE, simulations of celestial bodies in orbit would otherwise be beyond the reach of those who are not professional film makers with nearly unlimited budgets. However, by "borrowing" professional video clips of objects such as Earth in rotation then decompiling them, converting to PNG and removing the background via Photoshop batch actions and replacing these backgrounds with transparency, one can then create celestial simulations complete with axis rotation while in orbit.

Obviously, this is not something everyone or even most would aspire to create, but for those who have the time and interest it offers a means of creating such a simulation using a relatively inexpensive tool

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Jean,

That's possible with this method, but it would take loads of memory to run a full screen video of any quality behind your images by doing it this way. Probably it wouldn't be very efficient at all because not many systems have enough resources to play a seriously good and large video with frames as animated objects.

This method is really designed to run small video clips rather than use the video as a backdrop with images on top. For example, let's say you could get the actual file size down to about 1.7 meg (remember, jpgs or png files are the same size in memory regardless of compression levels set) then for a 10 second clip you would have about 353 megabytes of contribution to the slide plus whatever else you had running on top. This would make your slideshow huge in terms of executable size.

Actually, this is going to be a very "BIG" problem even when drop-in clips are allowed if we are to have high resolution video. This will mean that file sharing over the web will be a very difficult issue unless one might be so fortunate as to have unlimited funds and their own T3 line.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi "Y",

Thanks! It's fun playing with the possibilities. I've posted some more information about possibly modifying the template to allow up to about 5 minutes of video. It will be lots of work but if enough people are interested I will do it. Read the part in red here on my last post in the thread and let me know...

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....showtopic=10095

Best regards,

Lin

Hi John,

It's different strokes for different folks. There are many users who are asking for video in their slideshows. There are also those who would like greater control over audio so it's not an "either/or" situation but rather the developers serving requests for both.

I can't personally do anything to change the present audio features, but I can offer and discuss a work-around for those interested in including video, so this thread is about video and not about audio.

The best way for an answer to your question or to initiate a discussion about it would be to start a thread about audio or to post this comment in one of the several threads which have already been posted or we get totally off track....

Best regards,

Lin

Good morning Lin,

You are quite correct.

I'm just impulsive by nature and also keen for the audio issue not to be overlooked so the devil in me took over!

For the record I'm not actually against video and could see myself using it were it available.

But................

Regards

John

• 1 month later...

Yes, I'm really interested. I would just be adding short clips to enhance a show where I already have suitable photos eg at an agricultural show where a photo of a sheep could be followed by a short video clip. I don't want any awkward 'workarounds' just something as simple to use as Pictures To Exe would be fine!

When the Canon 5D Mk2 was launched and I saw the HD video capabilities I sat up and took note. My thoughts were that if I could add video to a slide show, which was the same quality as the stills I would be very interested to see where this could lead.

Later, I had some doubts about video and DSLR cameras. As you know, if you change lenses often enough and no matter how carefull you are dust will settle on the chip. Now this has never been a concern to me with stills because it is so easy to deal with, but how would we deal with that ugly spot or hair on the amount of frames we need for HD video.

Has anyone with a 5D Mk2 experienced this yet?

Hi Lin

I used to use Proshow Developer, which does have the video capability, but I thought that the quality would not be up to PTE, has this all changed? I assume that it is always good to have this facility, however, I seem to be more into still photography. With the use of animation, I seems to have dropped video footage.

Hi Mike,

Producer and Gold use the common practice of CPU rather than GPU (Video Card - hardware rendering) so when attempting to pan higher resolution images the movement is usually jerky and is greatly affected by whatever else the CPU might be doing. Also, in order to render images they do so at lower resolutions then uprez to get to final display resolutions which softens the image. The bottom line is that their "engine" simply is not up to the demands of the combination of high resolution and superb image quality like PTE.

So, in answer to your question, nothing has changed. When PTE allows video clip drop-in, the quality of the video will be as good as the original. If it is produced from a camera which supports 1080p (1920x1080) then that's the quality which it will be displayed at. The other, in my opinion, great advantage of PTE is that the video will be treated like any other "object" so that all the great features which we have to manipulate objects will be available to manipulate the video clip. In my opinion, this will be far superior to the way it's implemented by the competition.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

I used to use Proshow Developer, which does have the video capability, but I thought that the quality would not be up to PTE, has this all changed? I assume that it is always good to have this facility, however, I seem to be more into still photography. With the use of animation, I seems to have dropped video footage.

Hi Barry,

Although I haven't used the 5D Mk II myself yet, beginning with the 40D Canon greatly improved the issue of dust prevention on the sensor. One almost never sees a late model Canon with sensor dust issues these days. There are special anti-dust coatings on the AA filter (which is bonded to the sensor) and dust spots on the images are mostly a thing of the past.

It "definitely" was a problem in early days and Canon was late to the party with methods of preventing this problem. Olympus solved it years ago by not only "vibrating" the sensor to literally shake dust off, but with a simple "sticky tape" dust collection process. I've never seen a single dust spot on my Olympus E3 and rarely seen anything on my 40D. On my earlier Canon equipment it was a serious issue indeed!

But in answer to your question, if there were dust spots it would require mapping software to rempve the dust frame by frame. This type software is available for video, but rarely needed today.

Best regards,

Lin

When the Canon 5D Mk2 was launched and I saw the HD video capabilities I sat up and took note. My thoughts were that if I could add video to a slide show, which was the same quality as the stills I would be very interested to see where this could lead.

Later, I had some doubts about video and DSLR cameras. As you know, if you change lenses often enough and no matter how carefull you are dust will settle on the chip. Now this has never been a concern to me with stills because it is so easy to deal with, but how would we deal with that ugly spot or hair on the amount of frames we need for HD video.

Has anyone with a 5D Mk2 experienced this yet?

Lin

As far as I am aware my Canon is equipped with auto sensor cleaning and has the filter, but I stll see plenty of dust, so theory and practice not quite coming together perhaps.

I tried the mapping too and that didn't completely eradicate dust.

I don't find it a problem on still images and was just wondering how 5d owners coped