WnSoft Forums

DVD Video Disc

dcbyrne

I think I am about to get my biggest PTE dissapointment?? I have PTE for awhile now but never used it. I have been using ProShow Producer for years. I purchased PTE tutorials from Beckham Digital to learn the program and many actions from the Dom and PanosFX. Yesterday I tried to make a slide show DVD only to find I had to upgrade to the Deluxe version ($34.00). I did that thinking this DVD would play in my DVD player conected to my HD Television. It does not work... I sent WnSoft an e-mail last night asking about this. I'm afraid of what the answer will be. The purpose for my upgrade was to watch these slide shows on my TV. When I put the disk in the player I get the following messages. (1) This disk cannot be played. (2) Playback prohibit by area limitations. I know someone on this forum has the answer so please let me know when you have the time..

Regards,

Douglas

Hi Douglas,

There should be no problem at all playing your DVD's but it sounds like you may have created a DVD with the wrong output.

Which country do you live in? I'm assuming the U.S. per your Profile. In the U.S., you need to create an NTSC DVD. In some other countries you need PAL. If you look at the Video Builder Project Options (lower left of your screen) then on the Project tab, the first block says "TV System." You choose either NTSC or PAL/Secam. If, by chance, you choose the wrong one, then the DVD probably won't play on your player.

My suggestion is to use rewritable DVD's until you work out the kinks. I believe the default is NTSC but check this before attempting to create another.

If this isn't the problem, then let us know the settings and perhaps we can find the solution for you. PTE can make perfect DVD's so hang in there it's bound to be a very simple thing.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Douglas,

There should be no problem at all playing your DVD's but it sounds like you may have created a DVD with the wrong output.

Which country do you live in? I'm assuming the U.S. per your Profile. In the U.S., you need to create an NTSC DVD. In some other countries you need PAL. If you look at the Video Builder Project Options (lower left of your screen) then on the Project tab, the first block says "TV System." You choose either NTSC or PAL/Secam. If, by chance, you choose the wrong one, then the DVD probably won't play on your player.

My suggestion is to use rewritable DVD's until you work out the kinks. I believe the default is NTSC but check this before attempting to create another.

If this isn't the problem, then let us know the settings and perhaps we can find the solution for you. PTE can make perfect DVD's so hang in there it's bound to be a very simple thing.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I should have known you would be the first to answer the call. I did not check to see if the setting were on NTSC. I live in Olympia, Washington. Thanks so much for your time. I will try again and be back with the results soon.

Thanks again,

Douglas

You hit the nail right on the head Lin. Project options had PAL/SECAM set as the default. I didn't research before starting the first DVD, sorry for any bother. What brought me to PTE in the first place was how sharp and crystal clear the images were in all the slide shows I have seen. All from you and other members of this forum. There was one show that really impresses me with the photos and how the music is so well synchronized with each slide. I watch it over and over and it never gets old to me. It's name, Animal Magic located at Beckham Digital. I upgraded in hopes of finding the same sharpness on my television through the DVD player. Have to tell you, I was not disappointed. I just wish I could add an AVI or two and keep that same show quality.

Thanks again for your help,

Douglas

Just some additional info:

On a MODERN DVD player it should not make a difference. Standard DVD players are now PAL/NTSC compatible. At least that's been the the case over here in the UK for a few years and I send PAL DVDs to the USA and recieve NTSC DVDs from the USA all the time - no problem.

In the case of commercially made DVDs they are REGION SPECIFIC which will cause a problem on any DVD player. PTE is not Region Specific.

Also, both PAL and NTSC DVDs will play on any computer in any country.

DaveG

Just some additional info:

On a MODERN DVD player it should not make a difference. Standard DVD players are now PAL/NTSC compatible. At least that's been the the case over here in the UK for a few years and I send PAL DVDs to the USA and recieve NTSC DVDs from the USA all the time - no problem.

In the case of commercially made DVDs they are REGION SPECIFIC which will cause a problem on any DVD player. PTE is not Region Specific.

DaveG

Dave,

Thats good information to know. Thanks

Douglas

(On a MODERN DVD player it should not make a difference. Standard DVD players are now PAL/NTSC compatible. At least that's been the the case over here in the UK for a few years)

Not in North America Dave. Standard store bought DVD players are NTSC only.

Limey

Limey,

The default play mode over here is PAL, but if you give it a REGION FREE NTSC DVD it will play OK.

Although US players are sold as NTSC they also play PAL. As I said I have several contacts to whom I send PAL DVDs (REGION FREE) and get no probs. Same goes for any REGION FREE DVDs that are send to me from US (or indeed anywhere).

Your user manual will probably tell you this.

If you have never tried playing a region free pal dvd then you wouldn't necessarily know.

DaveG

last 3 samsungs i bought will not play pal

1- dvd1080p9 $60 Canadian

2- dvd p380 $70 Canadian

they are very basic sets bought for usb/divx use and the dvd1080p9 to tie into my 1080p ws lcd Panasonic tv

i have some older citizen's that will handle pal -- i have made p2e shows with nero 6.6 in pal format tested them here and sent to UK and they played over there no problems

they could have had sets over there that were dual format - i dont know

see

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Con..._DVD_page1.html

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

http://www.videointerchange.com/pal_secam_conversions.htm

and this one generally will give you info to satisfy all answers

http://www.videohelp.com/

technology is moving very fast and manufacturers are cutting out the treats to sell the product -- 1080p UP sets c/w usb divx seem to be the minimum now

blu ray too expensive for average joe

the 1080p up player that is connected to my lcd tv set will upgrade divx to 1080p and it is fine for my eyes

ken

Some may not have the same experience in which case they should Google (and use) "DVD Region Killer."