WnSoft Forums

Latest 5.6 .EXE files hang my PC when viewing

michohio

All .EXE files which I have created recently with 5.6 hang my computer if I don't turn off my recently-installed firewall. This happens when I try to view them. Turn off the firewall, and I can view them fine.

All of my older .EXE files created with older versions of P2E...back to 2002 run fine with my firewall on.

What is being done recently which makes the .EXE files hang my computer?

Note: I found that 5.6 will not run with my firewall (PC Tools Firewall Plus). So I have turned it off while using 5.6

But now I have found that even the .EXE's created with 5.6 will not run unless I turn off my PC Tools Firewall Plus

All .EXE files which I have created recently with 5.6 hang my computer if I don't turn off my recently-installed firewall. This happens when I try to view them. Turn off the firewall, and I can view them fine.

All of my older .EXE files created with older versions of P2E...back to 2002 run fine with my firewall on.

What is being done recently which makes the .EXE files hang my computer?

Note: I found that 5.6 will not run with my firewall (PC Tools Firewall Plus). So I have turned it off while using 5.6

But now I have found that even the .EXE's created with 5.6 will not run unless I turn off my PC Tools Firewall Plus

The probability is that the firewall is the culprit here, not PTE. As the PCTools 'wall appears to be free, perhaps you could try another well-known and tested free firewall, ZoneAlarm, from http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-gb/home.htm?lid=en-gb

ZA has several versions, from a very good free version up to a sophisticated Extreme Security for about GBP 43.

I use the Extreme Security version, and I am very satisfied with its performance. It does not interfere with any of my numerous applications, including all versions of PTE.

I note you don't mention your operating system; ZA Free works with all OS's, but Extreme Security and lesser implementations do not work with OS's older than XP. If you have Vista and PCTools version 5, then there are issues with that combo. Recommendation is to use PCTools version 4 with Vista. Searching Google for "PCTools firewall problems" returns several hits which you might find interesting.

Colin

chrisp..

I will agree with Colin..it is not PTE doing it..it must be those free firewall programs that you are installing

on your PC!

I noticed that you made a similar request in the past about another firewall program was not allowing you to

preview your files! (http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10211)

Take the advice given from Colin and try a reputable program and see if that is it and remember you

should never run but one instance of a firewall and anti-virus program at a time!

Bart

Chrisp,

Today the 27th July you wrote (extraced quote):-

....."All of a sudden, I cannot pull in any projects or pictures without hanging my computer.

....."I could not find posts on this hang-up so I hope someone can help".....

With respects, many people replied to your Post of 12th July (as I did) a copy of which is below:-

Copy Post #5 to Chrisp 12th July 09:-

Chrisp,

I have said this many times before on this Forum and it can be supported by the Microsoft Corp.

XP2 and XP3 have excellent "Intergrated Firewalls" built into the Operating Systems which from time to

time are 'auto-updated' by the Microsoft Corporation without reference to the PC Owner.

Microsoft DO NOT advise the installation of a 2nd.Firewall on any XP whilst the original still exists on that

PC and under Anti-Monopoly Law's the Company is precluded from preventing you installing a 2nd Firewall.

The Anti-Virus Industry know about this 'loophole' and exploits it to supply/purvey their own Products and

unfortunately most PC Owners fall into this trap with detrimental effects to their Computer.

The Computer Industry is well aware of the problems of 2 concurrent Firewalls and have advised the Public

over and over against this practice, however there are some PC owners who seem to know better than the

Computer Industry. Ask yourself: Who's better to provide an effective XP-Firewall ~ Microsoft of a 3rd Party ??

Now you have the facts and its your choice...

Brian (Conflow

I just tried to install PC Tools Firewall Plus Free but it just freezes up my Windows XP SP3 itself (even without PicturesToExe). Finally I had to use System Recover to get work my computer back. So I was not able to check up how PicturesToExe's slideshow work with this firewall.

However I'll contact to developers of PC Tools Firewall Plus software to describe them this problem.

Igor,

As you know from time to time we have to repair Customers PC's. In the past few years we have

these problems with many 3rd.Party Firewalls particularily those who do not have an accredited

Microsoft Certificate.

In all problem cases we found the XP2 and XP3 Firewalls "switched-on" when attempting to use a

3rd Party Firewall. When the Xp2 & Xp3 Firewall is "turned-off" then the 3rd.Party Firewall works.

With 'Vista' it is nearly impossible to 'turn-off' its System-Firewall ~ its a different design to the XP

as you well know ~ and it continues to run in the background no matter what the PC owner does.

Running 2 Firewalls together is not recommended by Microsoft (this you know) and it only causes

problems for the PTE Program and other Programs. In many cases it causes Processor 'looping' which

then crashes the whole system. Its our experience that this eventually causes Kernel damage leading

to a complete re-install of the Operating-System and in most cases 'System-Restore' does not work.

Hope this helps...

Brian (Conflow)

Igor,

With the type of intensive development work you do ~ what PC-Tools Firewall is doing to

your PC does not surprise me at all.

I have never criticised good Programs which have small-faults ~ but "PC-Tools Firewall" has

long ongoing issues which are not yet resolved and worse still they are Computer specific to

certain types of PC set-up's ~ in particular to those running Xp2 and Xp3. This should not be !

Below is the 'Version-History' of PC-Tools Firewall issued by Snapfiles/Webattack.Com and it

clearly identifies some of the issues which would be of prime interest to yourself.

I won't go any further with this thread, but I hope this can be of help to you..

Brian.(Conflow)

post-1416-1248967705_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

RESOLVED. Not related to other Firewalls.

PC Tools responded back immediately. They asked that I try turning off Enhanced Security Verification. IT WORKED and all P2E operation and playing of EXE's works as it did before.

Here is their response when I asked what it would do to my overall security on the Firewall by disabling this one function.....

From PC Tools:

I am glad to hear that disabling Enhanced Security Verification has resolved this issue. With ESV disabled, the only noticeable change in functionality of PC Tools Firewall Plus would be an increase in the number of prompts to allow/block applications and processes.

Otherwise, there is no compromise in the level of security provided.

We've received the reply from PC Tools.

I find the suggested solution unacceptable. In my opinion the problem not in PicturesToExe, and other firewalls and antivirus software don't have same as PC Tools software issues.

Probably this situation can be resolved if users of PicturesToExe will send reports to PC Tools and they will adapt their software at last?

<...>

thank you for contacting PC Tools.

Our Develepment Team have tested the current version of PC Tools Firewall Plus with PicturesToExe, and were unable to replicate this issue. We will continue to monitor the number of reported cases of this issue.

Currently the only method available to allow PicturesToExe (along with files created using this application) to correctly run would be to disable the Enhanced Security Verification (ESV) option for PC Tools Firewall Plus.

The primary reason that this method is required is due to the nature of PicturesToExe's operation, creating a new, unique executable file for each slideshow created.

Please request that affected customers contact us directly for information regarding a resolution.

If you require further assistance please reply to this email.

Kind Regards,

Mathew Tanner

Technical Support Representative

PC Tools Customer Support Services

Quote from PC Tools: "The primary reason that this method is required is due to the nature of PicturesToExe's operation, creating a new, unique executable file for each slideshow created."

What nonsense. EVERY exe file is a unique file, else it would be a copy of another (unique) file!

A fine example of the adage 'if you can't blind them with science, baffle them with bulls**t'.

There are plenty of other firewalls that do not have this problem.

Colin