WnSoft Forums

[3D Transformation] Rotation about the Z axis

fh1805

Unless I am totally missing something very obvious, the 3D transformation feature of PTE v6 allows simple control of rotation about the X axis (Angle X on the 3D Parameters pop-up window), simple control of rotation about the Y axis (Angle Y on the 3D Parameters pop-up window) but no equally simple control over rotation about the Z axis. The 3D Parameter value Pan Z simply moves the subject along the Z axis (a useful feature in its own right but not doing anything to control Z Axis rotation).

Taking as an example a 3D Cube: I now know how to create it in PTE and how to transform it so that I see it as an apparent 3D object, showing parts of three faces (let's say these are front, right and top). Each of these faces has an axis running through its centre. Angle X controls rotation about one of the axes, Angle Y controls rotation about another of them - but what controls rotation about the third axis?

regards,

Peter

I have just been able to answer my own questions. The Animation tab, Rotate field controls the Z Axis rotation.

I think it would be a simplification of the user interface if an extra field was added to the 3D Parameters window: Angle Z. The values keyed in here would be passed (under the covers) to the Rotate field on the Animation tab. In this way, rotation control of a 3D object is all in the one window.

regards,

Peter

I have just been able to answer my own questions. The Animation tab, Rotate field controls the Z Axis rotation.

I think it would be a simplification of the user interface if an extra field was added to the 3D Parameters window: Angle Z. The values keyed in here would be passed (under the covers) to the Rotate field on the Animation tab. In this way, rotation control of a 3D object is all in the one window.

regards,

Peter

I suppose that Igor's team choosed this way for backward compatibility.

Moreover, by mirroring the "rotate" parameter with a new "Rotate Z" parameter

may create user confusion.

I agree with you that the current configuration is not the best one, but

I think it's the best considering that most users won't deal with 3D parameters.

Greetings! Umberto