WnSoft Forums

A new cube challenge

potwnc

I'm sure most members know what the Rubik's cube is. I think it would be a great demo for PTE to be able to have the PTE version of it!

Can it be done? That's the challenge!

I enjoy a challenge as much as anyone, possibly more, but this one may be too much even for me!

The major problem that I foresee is that each cube can be, at some stage, part of every surface. This suggests to me that each phase of rotation will have to have its own set of cubes laid out on frames that are specific to just that phase of rotation. Once this concept is grasped, the animation becomes simpler because only one face is rotating relative to all the others and what we have is one third of the cube rotating against the other two thirds.

The fact that I'm thinking the problem through indicates that this challenge has captured my imagination. I could be tempted...

regards,

Peter

OK, so I've wasted the whole morning playing around with this challenge but it's been fun - if, so far, frustrating.

I can build the three layers of the cube (currently with no colour on the top and bottom faces). I can rotate each layer separately about the Y axis in either direction. But if I try and contra-rotate two layers at once it appears as though the chosen Y axis is positioned at one edge of the layer rather than through the middle. It's probably all about how I've tried to construct things.

In the words of Fagin from the musical "Oliver!" - "I think I'd better think it out again!"

regards,

Peter

Da dah!! :)

I might be jumping the gun, but I think I might just have solved all the major problems. The cube moves in very slow motion at present: but that is to allow me to check for any visual anomalies. And only one face rotates: but rotating the others will not involve anything new - or so I currently believe and fervently hope!

regards,

Peter

Rubikv5.zip

Peter...

Amazing. Nice work. But...what about adding Text to one of the cubes??? I am still stuck on this 'Text' issue. I have a million questions, but let me ask maybe one question at a time.

I tried to add Text to the top row of the top row of cubes. I added the Text to each of the 3 cubes. The Text was added as a 'child' of the Top-Left, the Top-Center and the Top-Right cubes in the first row.

I also added the same Text objects as 'childs' of 'Face1'.

As the cube rotates, the Text objects are not 'glued' to the cube. Both rows of Text start to slip down toward the second row of cubes.

Question: How would you add Text so that the Text does not move from the initial position where they are put onto the cube?

Thanks... Gary

=========================

Da dah!! :)

I might be jumping the gun, but I think I might just have solved all the major problems. The cube moves in very slow motion at present: but that is to allow me to check for any visual anomalies. And only one face rotates: but rotating the others will not involve anything new - or so I currently believe and fervently hope!

regards,

Peter

Rubikv5.zip

post-1794-125631200099_thumb.jpg

post-1794-125631206041_thumb.jpg

Gary,

I've added text to three of the small cube faces (one blue, one yellow and one red).

Study the Objects list.

To help you understand better, the big cube is made up of three layers. The objects called Face1, Face 2 and Face3 are just frames that control the entire contents of that particular layer. Each layer is made up of nine small cubes. Each cube is made up of the same six coloured squares.

regards,

Peter

Rubikv5-with-Text.zip

Peter,

Thanks for the file. I played with it and I see where you added the Texts. I was adding it in the wrong place. It is not obvious, but in time, maybe the proper placement of Text will become obvious.

I noticed the 'R' is backwards and the 'Y' might be upsidedown. This got me thinking and I went back to the 'little book' where I had some of the Text that was upside down and/or backwards. I figured out that I could use the 3D Parameter to rotate the Text for them to show up correctly. Lightbulb moment!

Now, the next question:

In the 'little book' show, I have put in some Text in several of the pages. When I Preview the show, the Text on both the left and the right pages do not show up until the right page starts to move on to the next pages. Again, with the next set of pages, no Text show up until the right page starts to move on to the next set of pages.

Question: Why does the Text not show up immediately on the pages as the pages open?

Thanks... Gary

================================

Gary,

I've added text to three of the small cube faces (one blue, one yellow and one red).

Study the Objects list....

regards,

Peter

Gary,

I'm not familiar with the "little book" sequence that you refer to so I cannot give an answer that I know is correct. However, I would study the keyframe of the animations and also the transition timings and types. I suspect that the answer lies in those areas somewhere.

The upside-down Y and the reversed R are a consequence of my adding the text in a "quick and dirty" manner. What I should have done was unfolded each of those two little cubes to a flat form, added the text in its proper orientation, and then folded the cube back up. I didn't, I just chose two faces that were still visible at the end of the animation and added the text to those - without considering how the animation may have changed their orientation.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

When I am referring to the 'little book', I mean the 'Book of Images' created by bjc (in the Slideshow Created... forum). I thought you had looked at it. It uses the 3D parameters and it is very nice.

I have studied the keyframes in his show but I have not figured it out. I will try to post this question directly to bjc.

I figured the R and Y were just put in quickly. And it was a good thing because it got me to dig deeper. But I am wondering what you meant by "unfolded each of those two little cubes to a flat form". Do you mean you can literally do that in O&A from the completed cube?

Gary

=============

Gary,

I'm not familiar with the "little book" sequence that you refer to so I cannot give an answer that I know is correct. However, I would study the keyframe of the animations and also the transition timings and types. I suspect that the answer lies in those areas somewhere.

The upside-down Y and the reversed R are a consequence of my adding the text in a "quick and dirty" manner. What I should have done was unfolded each of those two little cubes to a flat form, added the text in its proper orientation, and then folded the cube back up. I didn't, I just chose two faces that were still visible at the end of the animation and added the text to those - without considering how the animation may have changed their orientation.

regards,

Peter

I'm sure most members know what the Rubik's cube is. I think it would be a great demo for PTE to be able to have the PTE version of it!

LOL, may be I will give it a try.

Like Peter, I like challenges.

We are very far away from slideshows but it's fun to use PTE.

I think I have an idea to make the cube simple.

...But I am wondering what you meant by "unfolded each of those two little cubes to a flat form". Do you mean you can literally do that in O&A from the completed cube?...

Gary,

Yes. Take at look at this offering. It shows one technique that I have used to fold a cube up from six images. Study the keyframes of the individual faces during the first six seconds and the keyframes of FrameZ during the next six seconds. Make sure you have the 3D Parameters window opened. To unfold the cube I simply have to add more keyframes that will reverse the previous actions.

regards,

Peter

3D-Cube-Trialsv1.zip

Peter...

I took a look at the cube, the keyframes, etc. I am just not seeing what you are doing. I played with it, but I am apparently not seeing for forest for the trees. I don't understand what is making the cube foldfup. The 3D Parameter window will close up when I manually move the blue triangle. I do see the last keyframe making the rotation of '30'.

Thanks, anyway...Gary

Added Later... aHaa...I think I made some progress. I was able to find the second Keyframe for each side of the cube and found the '90' and -90', etc. in the 3D Parmeter box. Ok...I am gaining on this thing. Now I just have to figure out how you put together each side of the cube in the Objects list. Thanks... :D

=====================

Gary,

Yes. Take at look at this offering. It shows one technique that I have used to fold a cube up from six images. Study the keyframes of the individual faces during the first six seconds and the keyframes of FrameZ during the next six seconds. Make sure you have the 3D Parameters window opened. To unfold the cube I simply have to add more keyframes that will reverse the previous actions.

regards,

Peter

3D-Cube-Trialsv1.zip

I must say that I am very impressed that anyone would take on this challenge so soon after I posted it and I am equally impressed with what has been achieved so far! This week I will see what I can come up with and if it's worth posting I will post it.

post-2148-12564033667_thumb.jpg

Here is an animation but I didn't find a way to make it simple.

That's why the animation is on several slides.

And I kept each face identical.

There is still a lot of work to make the 6 sides of the cube not the same.

Pictures objects have to be rotated and flipped.

It would be easier if I had a rubik's cube at home but I don't.

If somebody want to continue it, he is welcome because I think I will stop it here. :)

I am quite sure somebody like JPD of Jean-Cyprien could do it.

They have math in blood.

RubiksCube_PteProject.zip

RubiksCube_EXE.zip

Peter/Dom

You two amaze me with the ease (although I know it was not "ease" so maybe I should say how quickly :rolleyes: )you put those Rubik's cube demos together.

I know I need to crank up my creativity to be able to use just some of the new functionality in PTE effectively

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

No, I hadn't forgotten this challenge. I've had a week's vacation B) but now I'm back in harness once more. :)

As an update on my progress, I'm posting here the current state of this project.

What you see in the EXE file is the third version of the third line of attack on this challenge. The previous two versions of this line of attack were simply stepping stones along the build. The previous two lines of attack proved to be, in one case, a totally wrong approach and in the other case, an excessively over-complicated approach. After stalling on attack #2 I downloaded and watched Lin's AVI tutorial on building and animation a 3D cube. His build technique for the cube was simpler than mine and so I adopted that (thanks, Lin!). With a much simpler structure of Objects, it became easier for me to keep track in my head of what was happening to each object.

I estimate that, to date, I have spent about 20 hours on R&D (which is how I think of the work that went into the two abortive attacks) plus a further 4 hours on R&D for this third attack (mostly spent solving the problems posed by the ability of each small cube to be part of three different planes of the entire cube: i.e. a small cube has to be able to change its parentage between one animation event and the next). I've also spent another 4-5 hours actually building the three variants of my current line of attack.

I'm convinced in my own mind that I now have solutions for all the technical problems; and I'm now working towards a very definite vision for a sequence.

Rubik2v3.zip

As an update on my progress, I'm posting here the current state of this project.

Peter, I am really impressed with your improvment.

As you said, the most difficult part is to change parentage but it seems you finally could do it, congratulations.

Just and advice : you should use smooth speed option for a perfect result.

And may be the cube should be recomposed only at the end of the animation (and not at the beginning).

I think Lin used an other technique to build his original 3D cube.

May be I am wrong, but I think he explained in his tuorial the technique I used for my 3D cube template.

But as he said, there are different ways to construct the cube.

You will find some of them easier to undestand, depending on how your brain conceptualizes 3D... and how attentive you were during math lessons ! :lol:

Anyway, I am waiting patiently for the final result. :)

Hi Dom,

As you said, the most difficult part is to change parentage but it seems you finally could do it, congratulations.

That had to be done outside PTE by building three different variants of the cube.

Just and advice : you should use smooth speed option for a perfect result.

Could you please explain what you mean by the "smooth speed option"? What is it and what effect will it have?

And may be the cube should be recomposed only at the end of the animation (and not at the beginning).

It will be in the final form; but I need to scramble it first in order to have a known start point and a process that I can run in reverse in order to re-compose the finished form.

I've now got a fully-functional project complete with music that goes from scrambled to re-composed but I have some more "tweaks" in mind so I'm not posting that just yet.

regards,

Peter

After almost 100 hours of detailed planning, preparation and development combined with a huge amount of learning (often by trial and error :unsure: ) and after three or four "false starts" :angry: , I've finally achieved all the Design Criteria I set for myself :)

PTE v6.0 is an awesome piece of software!

I hope you enjoy the fruits of my labours. I will welcome all and any feedback.

regards,

Peter

Cube.zip (7.7MB download, expanding to 9.0MB executable, run time 2m 23s)

Peter...

I have been in awe seeing what many of you guys are doing. And your Cube is AWESOME! Really shows what we can do with PTE, and, one day, maybe I will be able to do it!!!

Thanks for the great piece of work. :)

Gary

============================

After almost 100 hours of detailed planning, preparation and development combined with a huge amount of learning (often by trial and error :unsure: ) and after three or four "false starts" :angry: , I've finally achieved all the Design Criteria I set for myself :)

PTE v6.0 is an awesome piece of software!

I hope you enjoy the fruits of my labours. I will welcome all and any feedback.

regards,

Peter

Cube.zip (7.7MB download, expanding to 9.0MB executable, run time 2m 23s)

Peter,

Very nice piece of work. Im glad you added slide count to the display. Who would have thought all this action comprised of 12 slides total.

I suspect users are now going to want a template so they wont go thru as much time, coffee, and asprins you required. :D

Thanks for sharing.