WnSoft Forums

No sound with Video Builder 6.0 (SOLVED)

Don

I am not getting any sound when playing a DVD of a PTE 6.0 slideshow through my DVD player. Oddly, I am getting sound if I play that same DVD in my computer. The video is fine on both my computer and TV. I have searched through this site to see if this issue has already been handled, but could not find anything. I’d like some help or a link to the possible resolution if it has already been addressed.

Here are the specifics:

I tried this with both DVD-R and DVD+R DVDs. Same problem both times.

I tried to play back the DVD in both a Toshiba and a Samsung DVD player. Same problem. I checked both DVD players with a commercially produced DVD (i.e., a movie) to insure that the sound was working. It was.

The EXE file works fine in my PC.

Here are the settings I used in Video Builder:

Project Options: TV system = NTSC (I’m in US.) Menu aspect ratio 4:3. TV screen aspect ratio 16:9. Bitrate 7000. Video type Progressive (I’m showing it on a HD plasma.) Anti-flicker checked. Audio Format MPEG Audio. Bitrate 224. None of the advanced options are checked. Nothing checked on the Program tab.

Final page where “Start” button is: “Create MPEG2 Files” unchecked. “Create DVD folders” unchecked. “Create ISO image” unchecked. “Burn DVD disc” checked. Device E:TSST corp, DVD+-RW TS-H653F. Speed 22x (30470 KB/sec). “Include additional folders…” unchecked.

A while after clicking “Start” I get a response indicating that the DVD was successfully burned.

Thanks for your thoughts. Enjoy the Super Bowl first, though.

Don

Hi Don,

You wrote:-

Quote..."Final page where “Start” button is: “Create MPEG2 Files” unchecked.

Create DVD folders” unchecked. Create ISO image” unchecked. “Burn DVD disc” checked.

Device E:TSST corp, DVD+-RW TS-H653F. Speed 22x (30470 KB/sec.Etc,etc"...unquote.

It looks to me as if you had not created the 'Music-Track' for the DVD (see above) another problem is

that certain NTSC DVD-Players do not recognise the Mp2 Sound Format. Either could be the problem.

I attach a descriptive 'PDF-Document' from Gromkov.Com, (an expert in these matters) - this may help you.

Link: http://www.gromkov.com/ Look at their 'Free-Solutions & Tutorials.

Lets know how you got on...

Brian (Conflow)

DVD-Video_Audio Formats.pdf

Hi Don,

You wrote:-

Quote..."Final page where “Start” button is: “Create MPEG2 Files” unchecked.

Create DVD folders” unchecked. Create ISO image” unchecked. “Burn DVD disc” checked.

Device E:TSST corp, DVD+-RW TS-H653F. Speed 22x (30470 KB/sec.Etc,etc"...unquote.

It looks to me as if you had not created the 'Music-Track' for the DVD (see above) another problem is

that certain NTSC DVD-Players do not recognise the Mp2 Sound Format. Either could be the problem.

I attach a descriptive 'PDF-Document' from Gromkov.Com, (an expert in these matters) - this may help you.

Link: http://www.gromkov.com/ Look at their 'Free-Solutions & Tutorials.

Lets know how you got on...

Brian (Conflow)

Brian,

Thanks for the response. But, I'm not clear as to what I should do next. I assumed that I instructed Video Builder to utilize the music track with the selections that I made in Project Options. When I heard the sound faithfully produced while playing the DVD in my computer, I thought this was confirmation that the DVD had sound on it.

I realize that you are in Ireland and thus may have more experience with PAL/SECAM than NTSC.

So, I am left with three questions:

(1) Should I create the DVD again and check any of the boxes that I left unchecked (“Create MPEG2 Files,” "Create DVD folders," and/or “Create ISO image?”)

(2) Does DVD-R or DVD+R have a better chance of working for me?

(3) Does anyone with more North American DVD experience have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Don

Don,

It looks to me that you had the Create MPeg2-Files unchecked:-

You wrote: "Final page where “Start” button is: “Create MPEG2 Files” unchecked"

If so what Sound-File format did you use if any ? ~ you need to try again with that box checked.

(The 'Sounds' you heard on your PC were probably Mp3-Files or Wav's) you need to open the DVD and

check, and may I ask...did you read the 'Gromkov PDF Document' I sent you ? Below is a copy of that.

In Ireland we use PAL-Standard and we also use NTSC with visiting Engineers.

Brian (Conflow)

DVD-Video_Audio Formats.pdf

Don,

If you create a zip backup of your project (from the File menu) is the .zip file small enough to upload to a web site like MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/)? If so contact me privately via the forum. I'm in the US and I'm willing to investigate what your problem might be.

Ray

Guest Yachtsman1

I find in video builder, it is best left to its own devices. When I burn to a DVD, apart from adding a title I just allow it to go through the sequences automatically, you however will have to ensure the NSTC format is authorised.

Yachtsman1

Don,

It looks to me that you had the Create MPeg2-Files unchecked:-

You wrote: "Final page where “Start” button is: “Create MPEG2 Files” unchecked"

If so what Sound-File format did you use if any ? ~ you need to try again with that box checked.

(The 'Sounds' you heard on your PC were probably Mp3-Files or Wav's) you need to open the DVD and

check, and may I ask...did you read the 'Gromkov PDF Document' I sent you ? Below is a copy of that.

In Ireland we use PAL-Standard and we also use NTSC with visiting Engineers.

Brian (Conflow)

Brian,

I read the PDF file that you sent to me. It was generally helpful in explaining the different DVD audio formats, but didn’t provide me with specific enough info to help me with the choices that I have within Video Builder and PTE . When in Video Builder, Project Options provides two choices under “Audio options:” MPEG Audio and LPCM, with the former being the default. Like Yachtsman1 indicated in his comment that he does, I left it at the default, hoping that the program knew more than I do. In PTE my audio file was imported through Project Options as an .OGG (from Audacity.)

I will try again with the “Create MPEG2 Files” box checked. Let’s see if this is the solution.

At your suggestion, I opened the DVD using my computer. There were two folders on it: “Audio_TS” and “Video_TS.” The “Audio_TS” folder had nothing in it. The “Video_TS” folder had eight files in it. Two of them could not be opened by Windows (“VIDEO_TS.BUP” and “VTS_01_0.BUP.) Below are the results I achieved when trying to open the remaining six files:

1. VIDEO_TS.IFO: This played the introductory video and music that I chose for what I believe is the title page, i.e., where I chose the template, background, etc.

2. VIDEO_TS.VOB: This played the exact same as above the file, but used a different program on my computer to open it.

3. VTS_01_0.IFO: This played the exact same thing as #1 above.

4. VTS_01_0.VOB: This also played the exact same thing as #1 above.

5. VTS_01_1.VOB: This played the entire slide show, both video and audio.

6. VTS_01_2.VOB: This played roughly the last one minute of the slide show, both video and audio.

My next step is to try creating a DVD again with the “Create MPEG2 Files” box checked, as you suggested. Also, I’m going to take Ray up on his offer to look at my file. With Ray being in the USA, as I am, he may be best positioned to figure out what is going on.

Thanks for your suggestions. I’ll let you know what happens.

Don

Don,

If you create a zip backup of your project (from the File menu) is the .zip file small enough to upload to a web site like MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/)? If so contact me privately via the forum. I'm in the US and I'm willing to investigate what your problem might be.

Ray

Ray,

Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on this. The file for the show that I’m trying to create on a DVD is too large to send conveniently via MediaFire. So, I’ll create a short show and send it to you. It’s the concept of how to successfully burn a DVD using PTE that I’m after, not just the particular show that I’m struggling with now.

I’ll burn this short show to a DVD first and test it with my DVD player and TV to confirm that I’m having the same problem with it that I was having with the initial show that prompted my question.

I’m going to be tied up for a day or so on other matters, so it might be a little while before you hear from me. I’ll email you via the forum once I’ve posted this shorter project on MediaFire.

Thanks for your offer of help. I appreciate your efforts.

Don

Don,

No problem. Just let me know if/when you need my help. I visit the forum at least a few times a week - daily if there's a thread I'm interested in.

Ray

Don,

I am not getting any sound when playing a DVD of a PTE 6.0 slideshow through my DVD player

Have you tried a DVD test using the VB-Project Options -Audio Format setting LPCM instead of Mpeg Audio to see if your sound playback issue is resolved ?

I have heard some cases pumping the sound through some picky equipment types such as preamp and home theater can cause such sound issues.

Don,

Have you tried a DVD test using the VB-Project Options -Audio Format setting LPCM instead of Mpeg Audio to see if your sound playback issue is resolved ?

I have heard some cases pumping the sound through some picky equipment types such as preamp and home theater can cause such sound issues.

You beat me to it Nobeefstu - I had this problem a while back with a certain player and changing it to LPCM restored the sound.

Don,

nobeefstu,

Thanks! What a simple solution. At your suggestion I chose LPCM in the Video Builder Project Options and the sound works fine now.

I have been using only the EXE method for creating a slideshow prior to this attempt. While at times it can be more convenient to run a show through a DVD player on to a TV, it does remind me why I chose to purchase PTE in the first place... there is just no comparison for sharpness. Nonetheless, there are times when a DVD player is all that is available.

Thanks again for your help.

Also, thanks to all the others that provided suggestions. This forum is a great place.

Don

Don, Carol,Nobeefstu,Yachtsman,Potwhc,

Something has been bothering me concerning Dons' problem having looked at his Video-Samples and

he also wrote:-

..."MPEG Audio and LPCM, with the former being the default. Like Yachtsman1 indicated

in his comment what he does:-I left it at the default, hoping that the program knew more than I do.

In PTE my audio file was imported through Project Options as an .OGG File (from Audacity)"..

Now the MP4-Codec is a 'Digital Sampling Codec' with highly accurate Frame-timing algorithms and

somewhat similar to LPCM which is 'Linear Pulse Coded Modulation' and then DON wrote:-

..."My Audio-File was imported through Project Options as an .OGG File from Audacity"..

OGG.Vorbis (now OGG) Sound Files are PCM-Files, ie:- 'Pulse Coded Modulation' Files.

From my engineering experience there is no way you can "mix" two 'Pulse-Coded Streams' such as Don

is trying to do. On further research I found that the H264 Codec does not support OGG.Sound because

OGG is already in PCM so consequently there would be a compatibility issue between both.

This would account for 'No Sound' on his DVD-Disc because he used either MP4 or the H262 Codec to

make his Video despite the fact he could hear the Sound-Track from his Computer ~ of course he could

because his Media-Player or Audacity and many Music-Players can render and play OGG.Sound Files.

This question has to be put to Igor & the WnSoft Team ~ Can the Video-Builder support OGG.Sound Files

when using the H262-Codec ?? perhaps another Member may be able to answer that question.

Don the simple answer is to import your OGG.File back into Audacity and convert it into a WAV or MP3

File (use Mp3 its smaller) now re-import it back into your Video and re-build it.

Then lets see what happens ??

Brian (Conflow)

Don, Carol,Nobeefstu,Yachtsman,Potwhc,

Something has been bothering me concerning Dons' problem having looked at his Video-Samples and

he also wrote:-

..."MPEG Audio and LPCM, with the former being the default. Like Yachtsman1 indicated

in his comment what he does:-I left it at the default, hoping that the program knew more than I do.

In PTE my audio file was imported through Project Options as an .OGG File (from Audacity)"..

Now the MP4-Codec is a 'Digital Sampling Codec' with highly accurate Frame-timing algorithms and

somewhat similar to LPCM which is 'Linear Pulse Coded Modulation' and then DON wrote:-

..."My Audio-File was imported through Project Options as an .OGG File from Audacity"..

OGG.Vorbis (now OGG) Sound Files are PCM-Files, ie:- 'Pulse Coded Modulation' Files.

From my engineering experience there is no way you can "mix" two 'Pulse-Coded Streams' such as Don

is trying to do. On further research I found that the H264 Codec does not support OGG.Sound because

OGG is already in PCM so consequently there would be a compatibility issue between both.

This would account for 'No Sound' on his DVD-Disc because he used either MP4 or the H262 Codec to

make his Video despite the fact he could hear the Sound-Track from his Computer ~ of course he could

because his Media-Player or Audacity and many Music-Players can render and play OGG.Sound Files.

This question has to be put to Igor & the WnSoft Team ~ Can the Video-Builder support OGG.Sound Files

when using the H262-Codec ?? perhaps another Member may be able to answer that question.

Don the simple answer is to import your OGG.File back into Audacity and convert it into a WAV or MP3

File (use Mp3 its smaller) now re-import it back into your Video and re-build it.

Then lets see what happens ??

Brian (Conflow)

Brian,

The version of the slideshow that I successfully burned to a DVD (i.e., with functioning sound) used OGG. The only thing that I changed from the initial failed attempt was to select LPCM in the Video Builder Projects Options, instead of MPEG.

The only reason that I selected OGG over MP3 in the first place was that I had read this it might provide higher quality sound. On comparing the two on my computer, I really couldn't tell them apart. But my computer sound system is not great, so it may not be indicative of the experience with a home theater system. The PTE User Guide indicates that it supports both of those formats, although it does not specify whether this is for both PTE and Video Builder.

I hope this helps.

Don

Hi Don,

Many thanks for your reply ~ Looks as if my 'analysis' was correct, so there was a PCM conflict between OGG and LPCM.

May I offer you some advice as follows:-

1)

LPCM is used in all commercial DVD-Discs and is the 'Universal-Standard' for such devices, best use it always because

it will play on all DVD-Players. This means dumping your preference for OGG.Sound Files and using Mp3 or WAV Files.

2)

If you must use Mp4 and OGG.Sound Files be prepared for failures when you try to play that DVD on many Domestic-Players.

3)

The best choice in those situations is to use Mp4/H262 with Mp3 or WAV Files because Domestic-Players can easily play

that combination. (Personally I use LPCM + Mp3, less hassle).

As regards MP3 Quality ~ a load of "old" rubbish is often printed about Mp3 because many people have tunnel vision and

simply ignore the external factors,viz:-

a)

The resultant quality of any Mp3 Sound File is absolutely dependent on the quality of the Source-File.

B)

The resultant quality of the 'Audible-Rendition' depends absolutely on the quality of the Loudspeakers.

c)

People forget to 'Normalise' the Sound-File to within 89~92.db, anything above that causes distortion.

d)

Once you select VBR (variable bit rate) and keep it above 192.kb/Sec it will reproduce as recorded provided

your Loudspeakers can do the job and provided YOUR EARS CAN HEAR IT.

(Most 30 year old Ears and above cant do that).

Hope you can understand the reasons why, which I Posted earlier.

Brian (Conflow)

Hi Don,

Many thanks for your reply ~ Looks as if my 'analysis' was correct, so there was a PCM conflict between OGG and LPCM.

May I offer you some advice as follows:-

1)

LPCM is used in all commercial DVD-Discs and is the 'Universal-Standard' for such devices, best use it always because

it will play on all DVD-Players. This means dumping your preference for OGG.Sound Files and using Mp3 or WAV Files.

2)

If you must use Mp4 and OGG.Sound Files be prepared for failures when you try to play that DVD on many Domestic-Players.

3)

The best choice in those situations is to use Mp4/H262 with Mp3 or WAV Files because Domestic-Players can easily play

that combination. (Personally I use LPCM + Mp3, less hassle).

As regards MP3 Quality ~ a load of "old" rubbish is often printed about Mp3 because many people have tunnel vision and

simply ignore the external factors,viz:-

a)

The resultant quality of any Mp3 Sound File is absolutely dependent on the quality of the Source-File.

B)

The resultant quality of the 'Audible-Rendition' depends absolutely on the quality of the Loudspeakers.

c)

People forget to 'Normalise' the Sound-File to within 89~92.db, anything above that causes distortion.

d)

Once you select VBR (variable bit rate) and keep it above 192.kb/Sec it will reproduce as recorded provided

your Loudspeakers can do the job and provided YOUR EARS CAN HEAR IT.

(Most 30 year old Ears and above cant do that).

Hope you can understand the reasons why, which I Posted earlier.

Brian (Conflow)

Brian,

Thanks. Clearly, then, the route for me will be LPCM + MP3.

Don

Hi Brian,

Not in my own particular case, the sound files were mp3 (generally edited in Adobe Audition) in all instances. However, I was splitting the audio track and this was going through to my amp and 5.1 speaker system whereas the video signal was being passed to the TV.

Hi Carol,

Of course I do appreciate there are exceptions ~ in your case you have a 'Custom-Setup' ~ but the norm is usually

to play a DVD on a Domestic DVD-Player hooked straight into a TV-Set. In those circumstances if the DVD plays

properly then one can be quite confident it will do so on other Domestic set-ups. Thats an important consideration

should one wish to distribute a DVD to Family & Friends ~ that was the point I was making to Don...

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding with my previous Post.

Regards,

Brian (Conflow)

Hi Carol,

........Hope that clears up any misunderstanding with my previous Post.

Regards,

Brian (Conflow)

No problem Brian, just clarifying the matter and hopefully pointing out that even if mp3 files had been used, there are other factors which might arise to prevent audio from being heard :)

I suspect its just some equipment is just not able to handle or convert the compressed Mpeg Audio format and requires the uncompressed LPCM Audio format. Even though using the Mpeg Audio format setting may save some overall DVD disc space ... the LPCM Audio format used by the general industry seems best to use to avoid these sound compatability issues.

Another little tidbit of information that most users may not be aware of :

For those already wanting to produce a single mixed sound file of all the music and sound files contained within their PTE Show ... use VideoBuilder to create just the MPEG2 File with the Audio Option of LPCM. All of your slideshow music content is saved as a single uncompressed wave file in PCM @ 48KHz as part of the end product.

Just thought I pass on this little info that may benefit some users ... do with the sound file as you like. B)