WnSoft Forums

Default font for text objects

Hi Igor,

May I also add my thanks for your diligent attention to the wishes of your users. Can I assume that you will also be addressing the automatic naming of text objects as I have referred to in this thread and elsewhere in the past?

Regards

John

Thanks for your ideas regarding default font!

John,

Can I assume that you will also be addressing the automatic naming of text objects as I have referred to in this thread and elsewhere in the past?

Yes, we did it today. For Text, Button, Frame, Rectangle objects.

Thanks for your ideas regarding default font!

John,

Yes, we did it today. For Text, Button, Frame, Rectangle objects.

Igor,

Words almost fail me!

What more can I say than a BIG THANK YOU. :rolleyes:

John

Ken T (APLman)

Seems to me that the whole Project Options facility is about default settings. So I do not see "Defaults" or "Default Settings" as a useful name for a new tab within Project Options.

I understand your comment on this ... but I guess I see this Default Settings proposal a little differently than you.

I vision this Default Setting as it relates more to the Program and not just the Project. Right now if you create a New Project you have to enable all your Project Options that are not a PTE Program Default.

Therefore the Text Default would have to be set for each Project File. As a Program Default ... the Text Default would be a constant and only needed to be reset as required. This is not say the Project Options/Project File does not show/keep its own record of the Text Default per a project basis and overides the Program's Text Default.

I vision this Default Setting as it relates more to the Program and not just the Project. Right now if you create a New Project you have to enable all your Project Options that are not a PTE Program Default.

Therefore the Text Default would have to be set for each Project File. As a Program Default ... the Text Default would be a constant and only needed to be reset as required. This is not say the Project Options/Project File does not show/keep its own record of the Text Default per a project basis and overides the Program's Text Default.

I agree totally about the need for overall defaults ... what is often called "Preferences" in other software. However, don't we already have that functionality by way of Templates? When a Default Font is provided in Project Options, it will surely become part of any template we create? So if our overall favourite font is recorded in our default template, it will become the default font for any new project.

Please forgive me if I am wrong in any way about templates - I've only recently come to appreciate the importance of my default template, and to rely on it.

Regards

Ken T. (APLman)

Ken T. (APLman)

I agree totally about the need for overall defaults ... what is often called "Preferences" in other software. However, don't we already have that functionality by way of Templates?

Yes ... these program default settings are generally classified or refereed as Preferences, General Settings, Program Options or some name similar. Creating a Template of a Project can perform alot of the default settings or personal preferences we desire for a Project, but being realistic the Template should not be the workaround or alternate way of setting Program preferences or defaults.

When a Default Font is provided in Project Options, it will surely become part of any template we create? So if our overall favourite font is recorded in our default template, it will become the default font for any new project.

You are correct as long as a user creates and saves a Template and manages their Templates by setting this as the Default Template for new Projects ... then the File | New menu will open that particular template as default.

Currently PTE already has a set of program "Preferences" or user selectable settings labeled under the View menu. (This menu area needs some cleanup to be better user friendly in my opinion ... this is where a new window or page comes in for all these program settings to be clearly defined for better user accessibility.) Some paticular settings of interest which the user generally overlooks to explore are within the View | Advanced Options menu. These Program default settings or preferences are saved and recorded in the Apr.ini which resides in the Users Application Data directory.

Please forgive me if I am wrong in any way about templates - I've only recently come to appreciate the importance of my default template, and to rely on it.

Im a firm believer of using Templates whenever possible because its a great tool and timesaver ... but I dont believe the workaround for setting program preferences using Templates is the best method for most users.

• 1 month later...

Igor,

Done in Beta 8. Tomorrow.

We've found a good solution how to implement this feature. I hope you will love it.

The new feature works very well in my tests. Its a nice and welcomed surprise that it also saves some of the other properties ... including the color and style/type. A great time saver once users become aware of this feature and just click the Save and Use by Default within the text object Properties tab to implement the function.

The location is a good choice ... its always available to select when were adding text in the O&A. Thank You.