WnSoft Forums

Micro Four Thirds

JEB

Hi,

I have a dilemma that I would appreciate any opinions on resolving.

I am finding my SLR and associated lenses are becoming too heavy to carry over mountains and on long walks which is a regular hobby and source of material for my AV activities. I have been considering down sizing to a Micro Four Thirds, probably the Lumix G2, or even a bridge camera but I am concerned about image quality. Any views?

John

Hi,

I have a dilemma that I would appreciate any opinions on resolving.

I am finding my SLR and associated lenses are becoming too heavy to carry over mountains and on long walks which is a regular hobby and source of material for my AV activities. I have been considering down sizing to a Micro Four Thirds, probably the Lumix G2, or even a bridge camera but I am concerned about image quality. Any views?

John

John,

I had the same dilemma, and even worse in that many city centre arcades wont allow a DSLR but will allow a digital camera without any fuss. I decided to purchase a Olympus Pen P2 camera to give me the same size sensor as their E30 DSLR. This also had the benefit of being able to use the full range of 4/3rd Lenses found on the E series camera. (With an adaptor) It also gave me HD Video (1080i only) which was also a bonus. I also like the electronic viewfinder which really helps in situations with high background light.

The results are superb, as it uses the same sensor, and picture engine of the Olympus E Series cameras. Zuiko lenses are terrific (as are panasonic) and the latest micro 4/3rd lenses have excellent performance. I still prefer my E-30 for pro work, as there are many extra functions available on the camera, but I can work perfectly well with the Pen with no loss of quality.

If you decided to go to a bridge camera, (I have a lumix creative camera)you will still get good performance, but the pictures do suffer from the smaller sensor.

By the way, I have yet to be targeted by the "tripod police" for using the Pen camera.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you for your reply. A bridge camera has gone off the radar. Were I to be considering retaining my SLR then perhaps a bridge may have been an option given the cost. However, I am really trying to take the decision to replace the D40 with the best light weight alternative at minimal cost still with one eye on quality and price. I am still tempted with the Pen but am concerned about the "add-on" viewfinder. Not its quality which, I'm sure will be every bit as good as the Lumix G2 but it looks a bit vulnerable for scrambling about mountains etc. So at the moment I'm favouring the G2. Your input has been much appreciated and very helpful.

Thank you

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

Just thought I should update you. I went for the G2. Took it, together with the three lenses I purchased, on a 13 mile hill walk yesterday and hardly new I had it, it was so light. Wore it round my neck all day without any discomfort. Even when it rained it was small enough to lie below my anorak without any problem. First results are encouraging. Still quite a few things to learn however. One of the nice points is the 16:9 aspect ratio. I have been moving in this direction for PTE recently to match my PC screen and TV.

Thanks for your encouragement.

John

Hi Jeff,

Just thought I should update you. I went for the G2. Took it, together with the three lenses I purchased, on a 13 mile hill walk yesterday and hardly new I had it, it was so light. Wore it round my neck all day without any discomfort. Even when it rained it was small enough to lie below my anorak without any problem. First results are encouraging. Still quite a few things to learn however. One of the nice points is the 16:9 aspect ratio. I have been moving in this direction for PTE recently to match my PC screen and TV.

Thanks for your encouragement.

John

John,

I am glad to hear that things worked out with the m4/3rds system. I was also out with mine over the weekend and came back with some excellent shots around the main market in Milton Keynes. Doesn't sound as exciting as your expedition. Enjoy your new found freedom. I tend to crop all my shots to 16:9 and 4:3 as I almost exclusively use HD Widescreen TV or a 15" Photoframe. However, I nearly always take the shot in 4:3 as this gives the best options for later decisions, this is because the 16:9 mode crops for you meaning

1. You are using leass of the sensor area.

2. You can't go back if it's done in the camera.

I know you won't regret your decision as the lenses from Olympus and Panasonic are excellent.

Regards

Jeff