WnSoft Forums

Internet

Powelly

Steve,

The size of PTE EXE files (and/or AVI files) usually prohibit sending as e-mail attachments. If small enough to get past your e-mail restrictions then they would have to be ZIPPED.

People here would normally use "MediaFire" or "You Send It" etc.

I prefer the latter.

DG

Steve,

It doesn't matter whether your sequence is an EXE file or a video format such as AVI, the file size is going to be several megabytes. Remember, each minute of music (at 128bit MP3 encoding) is going to require 1MB of filesize; and if it is video format then there will be 25 images per second - that really jacks up the file size compared to the EXE file. And most ISPs set a limit on the size of each attachment as well as the total size of a message including all its attachments. I'm based in the UK and use Virgin Media as my ISP. It's a long time since I last checked but I think their limit is something like 2MB per attachment and 20MB in total. In anycase these limits are usually set to match the speed of your connection.

As DaveG has said, you will do better using a file hosting service such as MediaFire or YouSendIt or similar. Most of the players in this market sector offer a free service option as well as their subscription services. You upload your file and they supply you with a URL for it that you can then e-mail to whoever you want to be able to download the file. So you are in control of who has access to the file.

regards,

Peter

I often use the free version of Yousendit, and would recommend it. However, it does have a 100Mb limit, which can still be restricting with some video formats. A further useful alternative is the on line storage services such as adrive.com (10GB free storage) and www.humyo.com (a massive 50Gb free storage.) However, transfering a DVD size file is still going to take you a whack of time. I suggest set the upload running and go and get a coffeeI mean go on holiday!

The benefit of these sites is that you can place the files into an "invited area" and get the person to download them direct. This doesn't compromise your security at all. Plus it's a great way of getting a free off site back up for your important files.