WnSoft Forums

Registration Keys

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

The difficuly new users have in registering their purchase was supposed to have been resolved last year, but from the recent posts seen on the forum, the situation appears to be worsening. Surely it's not rocket science to ensure a first hit registration & stop the complaints once & for all?

Yachtsman1

If only it were that easy. I am amazed at the troubles people can get themselves into when making a simple on line purchase. Then you can add a sprinkling of those unresolvable computer glitches that just seem to get in the way of a simple process. They are few, but they happen and you just cannot get to the bottom of why they happened.

You just need a rapid response to be able to react to the problems. It doesn't matter what causes them, you have to assist customers to get your product running.

Perfectly addressed emails also do go astray, why? I don't have a clue

Yachtsman1,

You must remember that the only problems we see are those that do not get as rapid a resolution as the user would like. We never see those that go through with no problems. Nor do we see those where the problem is resolved quickly by e-mail or by trouble ticket. Igor, Alena and I have been communicating about this subject regularly over the past few weeks. Fewer than one percent of all orders encounter problems of any kind. And we then see the "tip of that iceberg".

I know that Ken Cox and I both keep a close eye on these reports of registration key problems. And I also know that Alena also now keeps a close on these problems. Personally, I doubt if the problem is a simple one to resolve totally (and Barry Beckham's long experience of e-trading seems to confirm that these things do happen and cannot always be traced to a specific cause). There are simply too many points in the transaction flow where the systems could be getting it wrong:

• the RegNow service could be sending order acknowledgements but not recording the order (unlikely in a well-designed application)
  • the RegNow service could be failing to pass along every order to Wnsoft (possible but probably unlikely)
  • orders in transit between RegNow and Wnsoft could be going missing (possible - especially if there is no "positive acknowledgement of receipt" included within the application)
  • orders received by Wnsoft from RegNow could be failing to be processed (possible)
  • e-mails sent from Wnsoft could be going to incorrect e-mail addresses (possible - and very likely if the user is requested to enter their e-mail address once only. And even if they enter it twice, if they "cut and paste" and the original is wrong, then Wnsoft will be sending to an incorrect or invalid e-mail address)

It would require significant effort to trace where the breakdowns are occuring (and I anticipate that they will be occuring in more than one part of the transaction flow).

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

At the moment I am buying between 5 & 10 items per week online, the only problems I experience are when the item arrives not as described, perhaps 1 in a 100 deals. E trading must be the biggest growth area in the world, PTE is getting it wrong somewhere & the forum gets to know about it & shouldn't be, it does not give them a good reputation.

Yachtsman1.

...it does not give them a good reputation.

Yachtsman1.

The very point I have been stressing to Igor! Every instance of a registration key problem is bad publicity for PTE. But none of us can tell Igor how to run his business; we can only offer him our thoughts and our ideas.

regards,

Peter

I bring my apologies for this problem. We're solving this situation right now. Peter is right that there are many points where a failure may occurs during delivery.

1) We're exploring every case now to understand where a problem occurs.

2) In two weeks we plan to run a second duplicating registration server to send a copy of license key from our different email address.

3) We will use short product keys since version 7.0 or 7.5

4) When we run new short product keys we will move main key server to RegNow for instant delivery of a license key by email.

• e-mails sent from Wnsoft could be going to incorrect e-mail addresses (possible - and very likely if the user is requested to enter their e-mail address once only. And even if they enter it twice, if they "cut and paste" and the original is wrong, then Wnsoft will be sending to an incorrect or invalid e-mail address)

It is easy - and common practice now - to prevent the user from copying their e-mail address from the first field and pasting it into the second "confirm your e-mail address" field. WnSoft should insist that RegNow design the order form to do this.

It is also common practice now to ask new customers of an e-commerce web site to set up a user id and password before they place their order. So if I am user: ray with password: ray and I don't receive my registration key by e-mail I can go back to the e-commerce web site where I ordered, log in as ray:ray and view my registration key on their web site. Surely RegNow can do that?

Another idea may be to change the main forum description from "News about PicturesToExe - professional slideshow software, support, discussions" to "News about PicturesToExe - professional slideshow software, discussions" and create a new forum only for technical support?

... It is also common practice now to ask new customers of an e-commerce web site to set up a user id and password ...

Isn't it an advantage that you do not need id and password for RegNow. I myself hate e-commerce web sites which I only use once in my life, but which force me to make a registration :angry:

Regards,

Xaver

I myself hate e-commerce web sites which I only use once in my life, but which force me to make a registration :angry:

Regards,

Xaver

You are so right!!! I have 2 pages single spaced on BOTH sides of various online registrations I've been forced

to make over the years.

I now gravitate to sites that accept pay pal or google checkout so I don't have to register yet another site.

Some that accept these still insist on me registering.... :angry: