WnSoft Forums

Delay with PicturesToExe for Mac

Igor

I know that you're impatiently waiting Mac version of PicturesToExe. I'm sorry that we can't release it in time. My mistake in too early announcement of PicturesToExe for Mac. The work in progress but I really don't know how much time it will take. Maybe one or two years. If you need to switch to Mac, please use Bootcamp to load Windows or install PC emulator on MacOSX to use PicturesToExe. Or please choose another AV software. It will be honest to say that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Igor, Thanks so much for the information and honesty. I an sure this is a huge undertaking for you all and I understand. I will have to decide whether to buy Windows 7 and use Bootcamp in order to run PTE or us different software. You sure have a fine product and will always recommend it to PC users. Thanks Bill

• 5 months later...

Hi folks,

I just wanted to let you know that one of the many reasons I have not gone for a 'mac', over the years, was this wonderful program PTE. But as a result of an extensive burglary

I decided that I had enough with Win7 and bought a iMac. I was happy to use my win7 laptop for PTE, coping files back across usb drives. But I found a much, much better solution.

If you have a iMac may I suggest:

1. It comes with 4GB RAM, don't do a store upgrade for extra memory. Go to crucial.com and get an extra 8GB for £50/$60. It is very easy to install and you end up with 12GB

2. Install VMware Fusion 3. You will need your original Win7 CD.

3. Once up and running Win7 will do its updates, mine found 89, and later updated to Win7 service pack 1, and so on...

4. The VMware version of Win7 is held in a virtual machine, but if minimised it will still update while you or at work on the iMac.

5. Install PTE to Win7, but you will find that when you try to run it, you will get an error message asking for Direct X.

6. Go back to VMware and install 'VMtools'

7. PTE will now work!

I now have the best of both worlds. Win7 comes up, as a result of it being held in virtual machine, in just seconds.

VMware allows for folders to be shared, so I can add my pictures/images/rawfile folders to be seen and edited in either win7 or on the iMac.

Be aware that while you may not need an Internet Security Suite on the iMac it is still a good idea. Many such suites are free. But if you have a virtual Win7 approach on your mac then a windows security suite is strongly recommended.

While I am clearly new to all this mac lion/win7 get together; if I can help, I will. I do not want this thread to become a Win7_V_Mac debate. I am merely offering this info for folk who have jumped ship and are looking to run PTE on a mac. All feedback is most welcome!

• 2 months later...

Just to add a footnote about using PtoE on a Mac and the potential pitfalls.

I bought Windows 7 and Parallels so that i could use PtoE on my Mac, loaded both programmes and then entered purgatory. It has completely messed up my Mac which is a MacPro with 10GB of RAM. Both PtoE and Audacity were so unstable that I can not use them, and I now have terrible problems with slow Photoshop, locking up and inability to shut down, whereby I have to force it to shut down. This was a machine that was completely trouble free before I loaded the programmes.

The trouble is that I do not have enough knowledge to uninstall the two programmes, I couldn't see them when i went into Drive Utilities to get rid that way, and stupidly I used the original disc to get rid of Parallels, so now when I put the Windows disc in to use the UNINSTALL facility, the MAC does not recognise it and keeps ejecting the disc.

I would like to uninstall Windows and try it using with Bootcamp. I can see Windows 7 within Applications (Parallels) but do not know how best to uninstall?

Dave, why don't you use System restore, and go back to before you installed Parallels?

Good luck, robertg

Just to add a footnote about using PtoE on a Mac and the potential pitfalls.

I bought Windows 7 and Parallels so that i could use PtoE on my Mac, loaded both programmes and then entered purgatory. It has completely messed up my Mac which is a MacPro with 10GB of RAM. Both PtoE and Audacity were so unstable that I can not use them, and I now have terrible problems with slow Photoshop, locking up and inability to shut down, whereby I have to force it to shut down. This was a machine that was completely trouble free before I loaded the programmes.

The trouble is that I do not have enough knowledge to uninstall the two programmes, I couldn't see them when i went into Drive Utilities to get rid that way, and stupidly I used the original disc to get rid of Parallels, so now when I put the Windows disc in to use the UNINSTALL facility, the MAC does not recognise it and keeps ejecting the disc.

I would like to uninstall Windows and try it using with Bootcamp. I can see Windows 7 within Applications (Parallels) but do not know how best to uninstall?

Didn't know there was a SYSTEM RESTORE facility on a MAC.

I have Uninstalled both programmes now by using CleanMyMac software which has an uninstall facility when you send a programme to trash.

But thanks for your reply Robertg.

Dave, sorry for such stupid advice, I only think in Windows, Macs never enter my mind, plus, I guess I don't read too well.

Everyone,the next time I have a senior moment, and give advice, please go on to the next thread.

Apologies all around,Robertg

Didn't know there was a SYSTEM RESTORE facility on a MAC.

I have Uninstalled both programmes now by using CleanMyMac software which has an uninstall facility when you send a programme to trash.

But thanks for your reply Robertg.

• 4 months later...

On the first anniversary of Igor starting this topic I wondered if he is in a position to give us an update on the progress of the Mac version of PTE.

Over the last 12 - 15 months I have been gradually converting from PC's to Macs, the only piece of software that I haven't found a Mac version for or a Mac equivalent is PTE. I currently still have a desktop PC which I kept for PTE. I also run PTE on my Macs using VMWare Fusion but as I found recently when my PC lost all of its sound there are limits on memory usage both processor and graphics with this solution.

I know it is a bit "Are we there yet?" but it is better to have a rough idea of when it will be available.

Tony Falla :)

I am rather disappointed that having asked a week ago what the latest position is with regard to PTE on a Mac there has been no response.

One conclusion that I could draw is that it is because this work has been abandoned, I hope not but if it has I would like to know .

TONY

FROM IGOR

at start of thread

Maybe one or two years. If you need to switch to Mac, please use Bootcamp to load Windows or install PC emulator on MacOSX to use PicturesToExe. Or please choose another AV software. It will be honest to say that. If you need to switch to Mac, please use Bootcamp to load Windows or install PC emulator on MacOSX to use PicturesToExe. Or please choose another AV software. It will be honest to say that."

he qualified it by saying

Maybe one or two years.

like we used to tell our kids - MAYBE!

ken

ken

My concern is that I am aware we were told a year ago that the best estimate was one to two years, but since then we have not heard what progress has been made and if the estimate can be refined to this year, next year, the year after, five years time or possibly never.

I know that they are working on refining the Windows version of PTE and as I have said I have kept a PC purely to do PTE. In addition I have Windows installed on my Mac under Fusion and although there are limitations it does not stop me from developing PTE projects. I would however like to get rid of my PC's altogether but would like to know the possible timescale of this. If it is going to be in the next year or two then I can live with that, but if it is going to be a lot longer then as Ken says perhaps I should be looking at alternative AV software.

:lol: I am almost ashamed to admit that I sit here smiling at these types of threads. :rolleyes: I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it

I can't help thinking about all those smug Mac users who have approached me at demos over the years to tell me how beautiful and wonderful their Mac is and that unlike Windows "It just works"

Then they moan like hell because they can't get the same software as windows.

Last time I said something like this, many Mac users threw their dummies out of their pram when it was suggested they should run two systems or bootcamp. Well, if you don't like that idea, find something else.

After all there must be some wonderful slide show software for Macs. isn't there?:D :D

Barry

I am sorry Barry but I take exception to your remarks, I did not give any reason for transferring to Mac's all I was doing was was enquiring about the progress or otherwise of the Mac version of PTE. I am not aware that I suggested a Mac is better than a PC or otherwise.

Over the last 12 months I have been transferring to Macs and gradually running down my PC's and as and when buying replacement software. Where available I prefer to buy the Mac version of the PC software as it is easier than having to learn new software. I have, in some instances, had to buy an equivalent software but was aware of this when I started to convert.

I am not whining as I am aware that there is limited availability of AV software for a Mac I am therefore trying to establish when or if a Mac version of PTE will be available. Originally the Forum was told that a Mac version would be available late 2010, this never materialised, we then had the statement from Igor that appears at the start of this post. I realise and respect that Igor and his team at WNSoft have to make commercial decisions as to their priorities for development of PTE, but it would be helpful if I had an update on the availability or otherwise of PTE to Macs.

Please respect my decision to convert to Macs without making snide remarks

Tony Falla :angry:

I am sorry Barry but I take exception to your remarks, I did not give any reason for transferring to Mac's all I was doing was was enquiring about the progress or otherwise of the Mac version of PTE. I am not aware that I suggested a Mac is better than a PC or otherwise.

Sorry Tony, I wasn't saying that you were, but I do a lot of demos and "Why don't you use a Mac, they just work" has been whispered in my ear so many times I could not help but have a smile. :lol: Some Mac users are insufferably smug, but perhaps you don't meet them as I do. I am sure we had some here who took huge offense when it was suggested they run a dual system. I seem to recal the Mac users saying they would rather be shot than soil their perfect PC with Windows, or words to that effect. :rolleyes: Can't blame me for having a smile surely

Over the last 12 months I have been transferring to Macs and gradually running down my PC's and as and when buying replacement software. Where available I prefer to buy the Mac version of the PC software as it is easier than having to learn new software. I have, in some instances, had to buy an equivalent software but was aware of this when I started to convert.

I am not whining as I am aware that there is limited availability of AV software for a Mac I am therefore trying to establish when or if a Mac version of PTE will be available. Originally the Forum was told that a Mac version would be available late 2010, this never materialised, we then had the statement from Igor that appears at the start of this post. I realise and respect that Igor and his team at WNSoft have to make commercial decisions as to their priorities for development of PTE, but it would be helpful if I had an update on the availability or otherwise of PTE to Macs.

Well, how can wnsoft give an accurate idea of if and when. They gave their best guess, but when they got into it, they obviously discovered its a bigger job than they thought. We have all been there at some time havn't we? I am know nothing of software development apart from what I see here with the PC version, but I can see potential issues that may slow this down considerably. There has to be a commercial decision that the development of a Mac version would be right. Igor has said their team has to be expanded to do that and it may be 2 years away. That is a huge investment and the worry must always be, are there enough mac users that will buy PTE to justify the cost. Ipad and such has boosted the company so I suppose the guess would be yes. I assume that another problem is that at the same time they are trying to develop PTE for a Mac, improvements in PTE for PC has to continue. That must make a Mac version harder to develop. Then there is beta testing, there are fewer macs in the world so it's reasonable to assume that this may be an issue for the company too.

Please respect my decision to convert to Macs without making snide remarks

My appologies I wasn't aiming my remarks at you personally, thats why I put smilies onto my comment. To let you know it was a fun remark, not such a serious one :lol: :lol: , but we do see Mac users even on this forum almost demanding a version for them. So, forgive me for having a laugh.

First a big thanks to those who post their presentations here for we the Mac users to view! Barry, I always enjoy visiting your site too and looking at your fabulous presentations. Great job. Here is what I am doing to build presentations for my clients. First I too am a former PC/PTE user and was extremely delighted but since have been using Fotomagico Pro (Mac only software). The final output is also fabulous and honestly just like PTE when viewed on a HD TV from a laptop by HDMI cable. Where Fotomagico lacks is much better control of audio and having various animated layers within the software. I did though figure a work-around to add a second layer and animate it which helps considerably. The audio I must build and edit in Mac's Garageband and do a lot with Photoshop such as making a PNG file before using photos in the program. I have heard that Fotomagico is working on a new version because many have requested better audio control within Fotomagico Pro and most importantly being able to have multiple layering with animation. For you PC users you have a fantastic piece of Software by Wnsoft and I highly commend Igor and his fine team. Whether PC or Mac isn't it incredible the tools we have at our disposal these days!

Thanks for that information Bill, it is nice to know that there is a a piece of AV Software for the Mac that can be recommended. I will explore further as I see that the Home version can be bought fairly cheaply from the App Store.

Obviously having sent a few years learning PTE it would be better if a Mac version of that was to appear before I give up PC's entirely.

Hello Tony, Thanks for your comments and may I suggest you check here: http://boinx.com/fotomagico/homevspro/ and look which features you loose with the home version. I never used it knowing some of the features I wanted were missing on it compared to the Pro Version. Hope this helps. Bill

• 5 weeks later...

Since switching to MAC I have been using FotoMagico and I am happy with it bar one point. It cannot produce a .exe file of the show. Why is this essential to me. I am a member of a Photo Club which has an annual Charity Colour Show of Audio Visual presentations that has raised thousands of pounds for local charities. The only format we accept is an.exe file so that the show can be run as a smooth professional operation. So to produce a suitable file I have to go back to my PC and make it on there. From this experience I can say, for my part, that both pieces of software are excellent but using the PC does seem laborious by comparison to the MAC. However, there is no software that runs on a MAC that will produce a .exe output which is why I am desperately waiting for PicToExe to be available for MAC. Boinx, producers of Fotomagico say there is no intention to bring out a version which will produce a .exe file.

So can I ask the excellent people at WnSoft whether they have any better idea of when the MAC version might be available.

Finally in response to bbdigital's question of 25 Feb "After all there must be some wonderful slide show software for Macs. isn't there?" I would say yes there is but it doesn't do all that I want but then again neither does PicturesToExe.

• 4 weeks later...

:lol: I am almost ashamed to admit that I sit here smiling at these types of threads. :rolleyes: I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it

I can't help thinking about all those smug Mac users who have approached me at demos over the years to tell me how beautiful and wonderful their Mac is and that unlike Windows "It just works"

Then they moan like hell because they can't get the same software as windows.

Last time I said something like this, many Mac users threw their dummies out of their pram when it was suggested they should run two systems or bootcamp. Well, if you don't like that idea, find something else.

After all there must be some wonderful slide show software for Macs. isn't there?:D :D

I suffered Windows Pc's for over 22 years then saw the light when in 2008 I went to Apple. Why did I leave it so long? It would have enhanced my career no end! Slideshows, well yes I use Keynote and Final Cut. I only hope when the hackers finally destroy M/s, there will be an Apple left on the ground!

• 2 weeks later...

Tom

Many thanks for your suggestion but I was already aware of this route. What I have to produce for my club's shows are .exe files and only .exe files so your suggestion wont, I regret, move me forward. It looks like it is back to working on my old Windows laptop to produce the .exe file as I don't want to use Bootcamp or anything similar on my MAC.

Regards

Ray