WnSoft Forums

Aspect ratio

Ray Groome

I have attempted to use Beta 7.1 using a video clip from Adobe Premier Pro CS4 (which is new to me). The clip was exported as MPEG2 with dimensions 1440 by 1080 and looks fine when viewed in Explorer, but in PTE the aspect ratio has changed to a square format, distorting the clip. I doubt if this is a bug, I guess I am doing something wrong! Any clues, please?

Ray Groome

Ray Groome,

1440x1080 is a 4:3 ratio ... which is pretty much a square unless Im missing something. Maybe you need to test more with your export sizes in your new Adobe Premier Pro CS4 to achieve the right results you require for PTE

Ray Groome,

1440x1080 is a 4:3 ratio ... which is pretty much a square unless Im missing something. Maybe you need to test more with your export sizes in your new Adobe Premier Pro CS4 to achieve the right results you require for PTE

Thanks, I tried exporting at 720 by 576 and it solved the problem!

Ray Groome

Ray,

It's definitely the bug. Please upload a short sample video file.

I catched similar bug with my second camera Sony NEX-5. I records video at 1440x1080, although it's 16:9 (not 4:3). We had to correctly recognize this case in PicturesToExe. I think we can solve this new issue, too. Thanks in advance!

1440x1080 is not used much any more (on newer devices) - but when it is used to capture or render 16:9 video the embedded pixel aspect ratio must be set to 1.333:1. It should then appear natural when played back in most software players as they will stretch the horizontal pixels to compensate.

I haven't started testing PTE 7 yet as I'll be away from my main computer for a while. Igor, does the current beta read the pixel aspect ratio?

Ray

Yes, PicturesToExe reads aspect ratio from a video file. And it works in most of cases. But even 16:9 mode can be written by dozen of ways. Old legacy. Sometimes PicturesToExe doesn't recognize correctly aspect ration and we have to explore such file manually.

P.S. My new Sony NEX-5 can record video in two ways:

MP4 file as 1440x1080 (interlaced)

and MOV 1920x1080p (progressive)

Both 16:9

A bit strange for such new device.