WnSoft Forums

AVI TIPS

Ken Cox

OK, got a new problem for you guys to chew on.

I have a standard DVD intro I've been working on:

~ Roxio canned intro (from EZ Creator 6 package)

~ 6 slide P2E show with background music MP3

~ 8 slide P2E show with background music MP3

Whole thing lasts about 1:50 seconds.

All worked well UNTIL I added narration to 5 of the slides in the last show. When I burned the CD, the transition (standard fade) now turns into a strobing disco party :angry: for the duration of the effect, eventually staying on the last slide until the end of the show. Narration are MP3 files. The first main presentation (P2E file 4:52 duration, first of a planned 6) currently runs fine but now I'm a-feared to add the narration to it.

Any guesses?!?!?!?!?!?!

James

angst-filled in Alaska

Celeron 500mHz

Win98 SE

512mb RAM

HP dvd300i burner firmware v1.25

Roxio EZ-creator 6 platinum w/ full updates

PTE beta 4

temp dir on a 40gig USB external drive (37gig free)

I have decided to join this thread on Ken's advice as I seem to be the only one not able to create a SVCD using PTE and UleadFactory2. Specifically my problem is as follows. Firstly I have upgraded my PTE software to the latest Beta version to provide the AVI facility. However the AVI file produced has a file extension of [*Pte ] whereas the trial version of Ulead MovieFactory2 software can only recognise files with an ext *.iso;*ixa. I cannot therefore get my slideshow to load into Ulead MovieFactory2 in order to create a SVCD disc. Has anyone else had a similar problem and managed to find a solution?

MalcolmG

MalcolmG,

What Ulead Video Factory needs from you is the PTE produced .AVI file. I don't have Video Factory on this machine, so my description here may not be exact.

In PTE main screen select AVI then choose VCD or SVCD or DVD. On same screen select Create AVI

PTE very quickly produces an .avi file. Is that what you have been doing? Make sure you leave PTE and that file open

Then in Video Factory you simply import the AVI file. You will see that Video Factrory 2 has either an Import function or it is under File that you can browse to PTE's .AVI file and bring it thusly into Video Factory. From there it shoud be clear to follow instructions to make movie or create or burn disc or something you will recognize.

Let us know how you do.

well dont say ya can't teach an old dog new tricks

using roxio ezcd creator classic i put 7 - mpeg 1 layer2 mpg's along with a p2e exe on a cdrw

no auto run cause i dont need it

put it in a dvd player capable of reading svcd [mpeg 1 layer2] files and it worked perfect

i will be duplicating this entry in the tips thread

must have been the double shot of B12 the gave me this morn B)

just continued some testing and the Koss player will not recognize the disk with mixed components

exe or a mpg created for a vcd

the cCitizen player will recognize the svcd, exe and vcd mpg and will play them --- other than the exe

ken

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed 2 revised shows

timing sizes etc,

11:05 12/30/03

Autos 90% screen adjustment -- adj comments position

interlace and sharpness on - selected dvd

exe size 24.47 mb -- avi = 128.311 mb

time to encode with tmpgenc interlace on and all default settings 55.25 mins svcd = 250.816 mb

vcd encode 47.4 mins mpg final size 125.97 mb

--------

Calendar -- adj comments position -- interlace, sharpness and dvd selected

exe size 21.3 mb -- avi = 102.4 mb

time to encode with tmpgenc interlace on and all default settings 47.45 mins svcd = 209.9 mb

vcd encode 39 mins mpg final size 105.4 mb

have to change text colour in some cases on auto show but overall positioning is fine

these 2 shows are worst case conditions -- they are scanned from paper reproductions, but they show just fine on 13"23"& 29" tv's

still have to burn the vcd's but 2 of my players will play svcd stand alone mpg-2's so have not tested on 33" tv as yet.

Dec 31 03

made a 500 mb vcd and tested on 33" fine

ken

• 2 weeks later...

from

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...E=02&f=4&t=1408

Eric

after reading your description

TMPGEnc shows shimmering in specular highlights

i tried the following using the same exe --

create an avi with the sharpen and dvd boxes checked

then encode a vcd then a svcd using the default settings of tmpgenc -- 2 properly named mpg's

then using nero 5.5 and its default settings created a vcd

i used the vcd mpg first then the svcd -- nero re encodes the svcd and then makes the combined vcd disc.

i was having pulsations on the screen in the sky areas of the frames

the pulsations are still there in the first section, but are gone in the second [re encoded svcd] section

stats

winxp home PIII 1.3 ghz 512 ram 1 gig min max page file[swp]

exe = 9.65mb

avi= 118.997mb

vcd=116.825 mb-- 28 mins to encode

svcd = 142.961 mb -- 33 mins to encode

for experimetal purposes i then decided to make a "make believe dvd "-- burned the file to a cd-r to get some idea of time and file size --have no dvd burner

used the same 118.997 mb avi and imported into ezcd 6 platinum

the final dvd file size was 413 mb and 42 mins to encode

wmp 9 will play it on the computor but none of my dvd players will play it:(

will try it with a smaller file a different brand of disk.

no luck with different brand of cd

ken

For Ken

I have since re-encoded the same avi file using tmpgenc and this time there was almost no shimmering/flickering - just a very slight sign of it on extreme specular highlights on water, but very acceptable and probably no worse than some TV Broadcasts.

I am still surprised at your encoding times with Nero as I am still finding Nero 6 to be about 2 hr 40 min as against tmpgenc taking about 43 mins. I contacted Nero about this and all they suggested was that I close down all running applications and programmes whilst encoding apart from Explorer and one other which I cannot remember (their email is on my wife's laptop and it's not accessible at the moment). I have yet to try this but I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference.

I notice your mention of your swap file size - that's something I shall have to check - maybe I need to increase the size of that.

Eric, you must remember that i encode with TPMGEnc, then do the rest with Nero -- so TPMGEnc has done the bulk of the work

18:50 1/08/04

using Ulead movie factory 2 with all default settings

and stayed with the same exe as above

exe = 9.65mb

pev = 72.645 = encode time +- 27 mins

vcd = 62.9 mb

but am not happy with the show -- there are no screen pulsations but there are quite a lot of edge jagginess evident [but i do like the gui of the product-- like having a good retriever dog -- great pet but cant retrieve]

so i would say, my best results have been to make a svcd mpg with tmpgenc, then make the vcd with Nero and let it reencode the files to make the vcd -- with this method you make the svcd mpg's once and can make up other disk's with different combinations of shows on the disc.

btw

the pev goes away the same as the avi/vid made by PTE

ken

Hi, here my results to create a DVD:

1. PTE/DVD-Video Disc/interlaced/no mark for MF/no mark for sharpen

2. TEMPEGenc PAL 4:3 line 625/VBR 2 pass (min. 0 highest 8000)

3. Full Screen keep aspect ration

4. Motion search precision: Highest

5. Field Order B

6. Filter: sharpen 127

I have test it with all other settings. I didn´t see any difference (in TMPEGenc) with CQ 50/75/100, CBR 8000, VBR manually.

Also the motion search precision fast - high - higest should be not important for a slide-show.

So if you have time, you can take the settings above.

I have test the same like above with PTE/non-interlaced and PTE/interlaced for Movie Factory/Sharpness filter.

On my plasma-tv the show looks better with sharpness filter. The DVD-Player-Output is scart/rgb or component.

S-Video looks unsharp.

For me, there was no difference between interlaced / non interlaced.

Screen Options:

I have maken the background colour blue. So I could see the cutting of the slides.

99 % of screen, the images will be cut at the right and the left side.

98 % the same.

97 % there was only a small 1 cm frame around each image.

After changing the background colout to black, the whole slide-show looks great on DVD.

Greetings, Tripstrilles

• 2 weeks later...
Well, lets get this thread going

my intial entry from

Posted: Nov 24 2003, 04:44 PM

i used ver 4.2 beta 2

and

made a multi show -- 3 shows - with roxio's dvd builder

used one show that i had previously made with my pictures [100 dpi]using the beta 1

the exe was 4,248 kb

the avi was 25,394 kb

the other 2 shows were from pictures from the web -- one set was a series of puppies and the other was made with weekly winners of pcworld's photo contest -PC World's Digital Focus Newsletter-http://www.pcworld.com/howto/locations/0,loc,81,tk,dfx,00.asp

both sets were 72 dpi - i elected to use someone else's picts to rule out any bias on my part -- - my own pictures have been adjusted -- in the case of the puppies i wanted to see the hair detail and the mix of pictures from the magazine were all winners

puppies details

exe was 1,143 kb

avi was 25,394 kb

pc world details

exe was 10,815 kb

avi was 53,889

estimated vcd size was 101 mb -- there is +-3 mb of overhead making the menu etc

encode time was 48 mins and 50 sec.

burned at default speed 32x - actual speed varies

total time encode to burn complete 49 mins 25 secs.

final size on the cd-r disk 90.6 mb.

the show was played on a 6 mos old plain Toshiba dvd player sent to a plain 1 yr old Toshiba 29" tv

the fine details of the puppy's hair,ears etc was perfect and the PCWorld show was just as good - my picts were -- well they were of my grandkids so what else can i say:))

my system details

PIII 1.3 ghz 512 meg ram -- 700 mb fixed swp file

winxp home edition

dvd builder portion of roxio ezcd platinum 6

be well rested before you start

make sure you have good size text and i would suggest not placing it on the slides -- use the object editor and put it there or as others have said many times make a slide up in a graphics program and put your text on the slide and then insert it in the sequence

verify the operation of every step in the bulding of the avi before starting the final process

a lot of work, but was worth it -- good things dont come quick and easy

ckfox asked the following

File Names?

I'm with everyone else. This is a fabulous upgrade. The DVD's look great!

One question:

My file names didn't show up in the TV format. Is there a way to make them appear?

Thanks again,

Ken Fox

and i replied

do you mean the individual slide names

if so

my comments from above posting

make sure you have good size text and i would suggest not placing it on the slides -- use the object editor and put it there or as others have said many times make a slide up in a graphics program and put your text on the slide and then insert it in the sequence

and same is mentioned in other recent threads

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...t=ST&f=2&t=1321

LisaNeal asked

Ken:

I saw your post above where you said there were fine details in the images of your vcd at 72 dpi. What were the other specifications of the files that you used?

I've tried converting to 72 dpi and I'm not seeing the detail in my images that I would like.

I'm using this for portrait viewing sessions and need as much detail as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

and i replied

Lisa

the picts from pcworld range any where from 30 to 375 kb and must not be larger than 640/480

see

PC World's Digital Focus Newsletter-http://www.pcworld.com/howto/locations/0,loc,81,tk,dfx,00.asp

and have a look at the archives and you can and save the picts and experiment

the puppies were 11 to 58 kb at 720/540 -- the picts are part of a series -- picts are taken real close up with a wide angle lens to accentuate their noses -- sort of a fish eye effect

another site to visit is

http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/Gallery.htm

he has picts of bugs that are sharp at 72 dpi -- i had good success puting some of his shots in a proshow vcd

dont know what else i can tell you

the puppy file is 14 slides 13 animal slides and an intro slide [the text on intro slide does not convert nice]zipped they are are 452 kb -- small enough to email if you want to play with them

email me at

pbyk@sympatico.ca

ken

so this was my intial experience's from beta 1 and 2.

Roxio 6 has so far satisfied me as well as  people i have  demo'd the final product for on large screen TV's.

I will have to totally rethink my approach when making new shows -- and it will start at the initial scanning of my prints -- the scans will be making larger pictures and i will quite likely be making 2 different formatted shows --one intended for the computer one for vcd/tv -- time will tell.

A time saver i have been using when making the AVI -- i have created a a folder on one of my drives called AVI TEST folder --- when i save the p2e produced ___vid.avi, i direct the save to that folder. when i Import to Roxio DVD builder, it goes back to the last folder it worked out of so looks at AVI TEST folder  for the avi files to import - -if you are making a multiple avi show it saves looking for the files.

Ken

<_< Ken, I was wondering. You are using Roxoo and so am I.

I can only figure out how to do only one presentation at a time and I would like to add more like you. When I use pte to do the usual stuff makeing the avi etc you are not supposed to click finish until you are finished. But when you are finished how does one save that avi presentation to use it again and my most important question is how do you make additional presenations on dvd or rather making a svcd.

I am using Roxio 6

Harry

I haven't tried it but I have assumed that you open PTE a second time and so on without "finishing" the others.

I haven't progressed with this SVCD feature of PTE because although my "output" has played back OK on my DVD player it has not done so on any of my immediate family's equipment.

Ron [uK]

Harry,

I have not used Roxio dvd creator for a bit ---especially the multiple menu/track type of show as one of my players cannot access the extra tracks -- the p2e/tmpgenc/nero process has given me the best results and all my players can access the various tracks if i make a menu driven show

As Ron says none of his family can play svcd shows -- i have also found this to be a problem -- if i go looking for someplace to test "home grown" show, i take a vcd and a svcd -- the salesmen invariably do not know what i am talking about when i say svcd -- they dont even know vcd -- all they know is hollywood type dvd's -- and some people who have 3 yrs or older dvd players cannot play cd-r vcd's -- we are into area of experimentation and it is going to take quite a while for "all people" to have dvd players -- believe it or not all households do not have computers --and those that do might be able to play games and get their email and browse the web -- beyond that the majority are lost

so i will try to explain the process -- the basic process is explained by Igor's first entry in this section

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...t=ST&f=4&t=1408

you just open the particular p2e shows and create avi's - to save you hunting avi's/vid to import -- i would set up a folder to save the avi's to - you leave them all open and import them into easy cd dvd creator in the order you wish them to be -if you put them all on the same line they will be treated as one show - but if they are on different lines they will be on separate tracks . the svcd process is the same as the vcd process -- only the final product is different.

when the roxio process has burned the disk then you finsh the open p2e's and the temp avi/vid files disappear

i will email you screenshots of typical folder configurations of vcd and svcd --- i will not email you the screen shots of the contents -- the meat of the shows are in the folder labelled mpegav -- the video files in that folder have a dat extension - if need be - they can be opened with windows media player 9 by using the r mouse open with command

ken

• 1 year later...