WnSoft Forums

Creating Video from Exe Files

Tomuk

Hi! All,

I've done a search and can't find an answer to my question so I've come here.....

My question is this...Does anybody know of any software out there that will convert Pte Exe.files to Video that Pte will accept into a project?

I have quite a collection of my sequences that I would like to creatively include into future projects but first They must be converted.

I would be most grateful for any help and suggestions.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

In all probability, there is no software available to do that. Your best bet would be to have the PTE file then create your own MP4 from that. I'm assuming though that since you ask, you no longer have the PTE files for these available. There are lots of software packages to convert video to exe, but none that I'm aware of to reverse this.

It is "possible" to use screen capture software to capture the EXE and save it as video, but these are far from "good" quality and probably wouldn't be a very satisfactory solution.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mary,

You can't do that unless you have the PTE files. The executable can't help you publish, that's done via Video Builder which reads the PTE code embedded in the xxxxx.pte file.

Best regards,

Lin

Can't you just use PTE and use the Video Builder piece to "publish" it to HDVideo or video for iPad or iPhone? I think there are some postings here referencing this technique but I don't have links at the moment.

There is a POSSIBLE lo-tech approach that might work.

My laptop has an s-video output.

My HDD DVD Recorder has an s-video input.

Theoretically I could connect the two and record the output from my laptop and convert it to DVD.

I haven't tried it - I don't know what the resulting quality would be. For all of my other inputs to the HDD Recorder there is no loss when recording at maximum quality so I would expect that a good result is possible.

DG

Hi Tom,

In all probability, there is no software available to do that. Your best bet would be to have the PTE file then create your own MP4 from that. I'm assuming though that since you ask, you no longer have the PTE files for these available. There are lots of software packages to convert video to exe, but none that I'm aware of to reverse this.

It is "possible" to use screen capture software to capture the EXE and save it as video, but these are far from "good" quality and probably wouldn't be a very satisfactory solution.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi! Lin,

You would think that somebody with my experience with using Pte would know better, I saved a lot of my project folders onto an external hard drive,then lost the hard drive (physically lost), lifted from my car while visiting a camera club. All I was left with was the Exe.files saved on disc.

I still have all the images from each of the shows of course but it means I have to reconstruct each sequence from scratch, but they won't be the same will they?

A hard lesson has been learned.

I think I already knew the answer you have given, I was just living in hope.

Tom.

There is a POSSIBLE lo-tech approach that might work.

My laptop has an s-video output.

My HDD DVD Recorder has an s-video input.

Theoretically I could connect the two and record the output from my laptop and convert it to DVD.

I haven't tried it - I don't know what the resulting quality would be. For all of my other inputs to the HDD Recorder there is no loss when recording at maximum quality so I would expect that a good result is possible.

DG

Hi! Dave,

If I required any form of video your suggestion is an excellent one,but I require a format that Pte will accept as a slide or object and at the time of writing, Pte doesn't support DVD into projects.( Igor are you reading).

My laptop and Sony dvd recorder both support Hdmi so the quality would be first class and Hdmi will carry the sound.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

I have had exactly the same requirement recently. I tried a number of the free screen capture programs, most of which failed to successfully capture PTE exe files. However, I finally had success with some free software from Koyote called 'Free Screen to Video' http://www.koyotesoft.com/video-software/free-screen-to-video.html

I set the computer screen resolution to 1024 x 768 (the resolution of the original sequences) set the software to capture as WMV files and to capture the whole screen. Getting the audio volume was a bit hit and miss, but I got there in the end. It's not the most sophisticated software in the world, but it gave me a pretty good quality video which would then go quite comfortably into PTE v7 or into Sony Vegas video editing software.

regards, Howard

Tom,

You have just given me one H**L of a good reason to update my HDD RECORDER!

Since getting SKY HD+ I haven't had a lot of call to use my HDD recorder but I'm still transferring VHS to DVD (long term project) and will get a lot of use from it.

A Freeview equipped model would be another string to my kettle.

DG

Hi! All,

I've done a search and can't find an answer to my question so I've come here.....

My question is this...Does anybody know of any software out there that will convert Pte Exe.files to Video that Pte will accept into a project?

I have quite a collection of my sequences that I would like to creatively include into future projects but first They must be converted.

I would be most grateful for any help and suggestions.

Tom.

===================

Tom,

I have another idea that 'might' work. Try doing a screen capture while playing the exe.

There is a program called Debut Video Capture Software by NCH. Here is the link:

http://www.nchsoftwa...ture/index.html

I apparently have a 'free' version; not sure how I got it. But, until Oct. 15, it is for sale for $39.95, but you also can download the trial for 14 days use.

I tried it on an exe file. With the free version, I could only save the screen capture as an AVI. The paid version gives you more flexibility. When I viewed the screen captured video, it did lose some quality when made full screen. However, it looked OK when I reduced the viewing size. The program is a bit strange to start the process. It took me a while to figure it out. You have to start the 'recording' process; then start the exe file. The final video will show your keyboard and mouse strokes in the initial beginning of the video file because it records that stuff too. You just have to edit that out. But....it might be a possible solution to your question. There are also some setting that might increase the final quality of the screen capture, but I am not sure what to do in that respect.

Gary

Thanks Guys,

Your replies have given me a lot to think about.

when you mentioned screen recording software I realised I had the solution on my main machine, it's "Camtasia Studio", I've tried it briefly but as with all software it requires the usual learning curve, results for first attempts are very encouraging.

I'll report back later.

Tom.