WnSoft Forums

'Keep full slide duration'-question

goddi

Greetings,

I have been following the discussion about this topic but, I must admit, I don't think I have understood all of its nuances. However, now that Igor has defined its use and new location, I now must ask this question: Does it really 'keep' the full slide duration (such as locking in the full slide duration) or does it only 'show' the full slide duration? If not, the name should be changed to 'Show full slide duration'. Maybe this is why I have not been able to fully comprehend this function...? I don't see this function actually keeping or holding the full slide duration when changes in slide positions are made.

Also, since checking the "Keep full slide duration" box is capable of only showing the change in the slides' durations when you are in the 'Slide List as Thumbnails' view, shouldn't it only appear when you are in the 'Slide List as Thumbnails' view?

Thanks... Gary

It KEEPS the full duration if you move a slide from position A to position B.

It is applicable to both Slide and Timeline views.

A full slide duration includes TWO transitions and the Time between them.

If you set up a transition time of 2 sec and duration of 8 - in the time line you will see 2>4>2 for each new slide.

The last transition in slide one is the first transition in slide two.

DG

It KEEPS the full duration if you move a slide from position A to position B.

It is applicable to both Slide and Timeline views.

A full slide duration includes TWO transitions and the Time between them.

If you set up a transition time of 2 sec and duration of 8 - in the time line you will see 2>4>2 for each new slide.

The last transition in slide one is the first transition in slide two.

DG

====================

Greetings,

I get what you have described above. However, when I activate the 'Keep full slide duration', and in the Timeline, then move a slide from its current position to a new position down the line, the slide that is moved does not keep its duration. It looks like the position of where that slide was, actually keeps the duration. The duration does not stick with the moved slide. Is this what I have not been understanding???

Gary

give an example?

dg

======================

Dave,

Well, I am not sure what is going on anymore. :blink:

I just tried to create an example and now, and, I don't know why, but the duration DOES move with the image. BUT, it keeps its duration whether the 'Keep full slide duration' is checked or not checked. And, it keeps the image's duration only in the Slide view (Slide List as Thumbnails), but NOT in the Timeline.

So I am as confused as ever. If it keeps the slide's duration with or without the 'Keep full slide duration' being checked, then it should be renamed as 'Show full slide duration' because it only seems to toggle between the two methods of calculating the duration.

And why does it not work in the Timeline view???

I just don't get it....:(

Gary

Having thought a bit more about the logic of this new timing I think (& no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong! :) ) Maybe it should have a different name & work in a different way.

People keep talking about having 2 transitions linked to a slide, the incoming & the outgoing.

So if a slide is set to effect 2 & duration 7 you get 2/7/2 on the timeline. Ok so far. (This should of course read 'Slide View' not 'Timeline' Sorry if that has caused anyone any confusion)

If you then change the 2nd transition to be 3 you get 2/8/3 Again ok so far.

Now if you move this slide to a new position, perhaps what you really want (& what does actually make some sense) is to keep the durations - plural.

So what you want to move is the complete 2/8/3 ie. keeping both the incoming & outgoing transition durations with the slide.

So for 3 slides - initial times of 2/7 2/7 2/7 (which is actual screen times of 2/3 2/3 2/5)

You amend slide 3 to have 3sec effect so you get 2/7 2/8 3/7 (actual times of 2/3 2/3 3/4

You then move slide 2 to to position 1

So perhaps what you really want is 2/8 3/7 2/7 (actual times of 2/3 3/2 2/5)

thus preserving the incoming & outgoing transition times & on screen duration of the original slide 2.

Instead what we are getting now is 2/8 2/7 3/7 (actual times of 2/4 2/2 3/4)

So the outgoing transition & on screen time are NOT being preserved with a slide when it is moved.

Perhaps if it worked in this way & was renamed 'Keep following effect duration' It might make more sense to people.

Mind you if you also want to keep the outgoing effct Type as well...... then it really does get complicated! :unsure:

But as it is so easy to just drag the grey bars on the timeline to amend effect duration/screen times I still wonder why we are trying to get it to happen automatically?

Jill

Guest Yachtsman1

Whats wrong with following proshows method and having independent timeings for each transition and each slide!!! They have video and they dont have all this nonsense.

Wash your mouth out, you mentioned the "P" word :P However you've hit the nail on the head, this catchup is causing chaos on here & really should be carried on off forum.

Yachtsman1.

:lol: Yep Eric I shall garb myself in sackcloth and ashes. However, it now seems to me that to understand SIMPLE transition time > Slide time > Transition time - I now have to be a mathematition. I dont want to have to study algebra again at my age. I want things SIMPLE.

Please Igor and advisors....give us something we can all understand without having to resort to calculas!!!!

Andrew

Andrew,

To have PTE behave as you want it to, all you have to do is download v7.0.1, make sure that "Keep full slide duration" is unticked and away you go just like good ol' v6.5. (The tick box is down in the bottom right corner of the main window).

regards,

Peter

Let's hope this is the end of the discussion.

As a previous Post said:'But as it is so easy to just drag the grey bars on the timeline to amend effect duration/screen times I still wonder why we are trying to get it to happen automatically?'

Gary,

======================

Dave,

Well, I am not sure what is going on anymore. :blink:

I just tried to create an example and now, and, I don't know why, but the duration DOES move with the image. BUT, it keeps its duration whether the 'Keep full slide duration' is checked or not checked. And, it keeps the image's duration only in the Slide view (Slide List as Thumbnails), but NOT in the Timeline.

So I am as confused as ever. If it keeps the slide's duration with or without the 'Keep full slide duration' being checked, then it should be renamed as 'Show full slide duration' because it only seems to toggle between the two methods of calculating the duration.

I just don't get it....:(

Gary

The sorting and moving of slides is best achieved within the Slide List. Use the Timeline to finetune and manually arrange the transition points of the slides.

Please read Igor's posts on the topic ... the sorting and moving of Slides with Keep Full Slide Duration feature is intended for the Slide List mode/operation. Igor makes it a point to always reference this setting with the Slide List.

I think this to be a logical issue ... merging both manual adjustments and automatic adjustments.

Robert,

Unfortunately, I don't think we can let the discussion end. Try and visualize yourself as a potential new user of PTE, doing your research by investigating the support forum. You see the great raft of debate about the confusion that arises if you tick one little box. What does that tell you about the product? It implies that it is a very complex product that even the experts don't fully understand. What do you do? You go and buy a competitor product. The presence of this "feature" and all the confusion that it can generate, in my opinion, carries a very high risk of losing potential new customers. That is not good for the long term future of either PTE or of WnSoft. I really do believe that Igor needs to reconsider the necessity of having this feature.

regards,

Peter

Perhaps we are all losing sight of what is really important.

It doesn't matter at all what the numbers say, or how they are calculated.

It is what happens on screen that is the important thing.

And that is achieved artistically by human input.

A machine can never (well hopefully) replace that.

How you get there is up to you, just as long as the machine (program) is consistent in what it does.

Jill

Gary,

The sorting and moving of slides is best achieved within the Slide List. Use the Timeline to finetune and manually arrange the transition points of the slides.

Please read Igor's posts on the topic ... the sorting and moving of Slides with Keep Full Slide Duration feature is intended for the Slide List mode/operation. Igor makes it a point to always reference this setting with the Slide List.

http://www.picturest...dpost__p__86319

http://www.picturest...dpost__p__88233

I think this to be a logical issue ... merging both manual adjustments and automatic adjustments.

========================================

Greetings,

Thanks for the links.

I never picked up that the Keep Full Slide Duration was only for use in Slide List. I did not get this because it makes no logical sense to me at all. But the fact that, when in the Slide List, the duration is kept when a slide is moved whether the Keep Full Slide Duration is checked or not. So I don't see what this choice is supposed to do, other than adding in the next slide's transition to the previous slide's duration calculation. If it is only supposed to work in the Slide List, then Igor should have it disappear when we switch to the Timeline.

This whole issue seems to be a bag of worms. Some have added that the Keep Full Slide Duration is useful when adding video. I have added video to several shows. I add in the video and then set the duration time of the slide to the length of the video. I then add the fade-in transition to the video slide. The following slide has its own fade-in transition. Why complicate it more than this? The so-called 'outgoing transition' actually belongs to the following slide, not the slide with the video. When I move the slide with the video, all I want to move is the slide with the video and its own fade-in transition. And this should be allowed to be done in the Slide List and the Timeline. It makes no sense not to be able to do this in both views. The Keep Full Slide Duration does nothing, as far as I can see, except recalculate the duration time by just adding in the next slide's transition time...why, I don't see, except add confusion.

I must be missing something, but I don't see what. Lets keep it simple.

Gary

A word of caution.

Dragging transitions in the timeline should be avoided at present.

There is a possible anomaly which I have asked Igor for an opinion on.

Changing transitions via Customise Slide ONLY has an effect on the slide being changed.

Dragging transitions in the Timeline has an effect on the Duration of the previous slide.

I don't think that this is correct.

Awaiting message from Igor.

DG

A word of caution.

Dragging transitions in the timeline should be avoided at present.

There is a possible anomaly which I have asked Igor for an opinion on.

Changing transitions via Customise Slide ONLY has an effect on the slide being changed.

Dragging transitions in the Timeline has an effect on the Duration of the previous slide.

I don't think that this is correct.

Awaiting message from Igor.

DG

=======================

Dave,

From what you are saying, if I understand it correctly, moving a slide in the Timeline "has an effect on the Duration of the previous slide." I just don't see only that happening. See the attached images.

When I move a slide in Timeline, it just gets dropped in between 2 slides. In my example, 3 slides lost their durations that were set before the move was made. None of the slides should not lose their durations, right? I think what is needed it to be able to press the Control key, for example, and be able to move a slide and all slides will retain their durations, during the move of a slide.

Gary

post-1794-0-96855200-1318603343_thumb.gi

post-1794-0-48011800-1318603785_thumb.gi

No Gary,

It is possible to change a transition time in the timeline and this is what is having an adverse effect.

DG

==================

Dave,

Sorry, but I don't understand your posting. My point is that the duration times are not retained when a slide is moved in the Timeline.

Gary

Igor's reply:

Dave,

Yes, I programmed this behaviour specially for the timeline mode. It's a small exception to the rule.

Otherwise time point could "jump" to forward or backward after dragging of its grey bar (transition effect) to keep full duration of previous slide.

So, I repeat my caution, if you want your change in transition time to just have an effect on ONE slide use the Customise Slide or Slide View to do it.

Changing a transition Time using the time line is going to have an effect on TWO slides.

DG