WnSoft Forums

How to prepare and burn DVD-Video or SVCD disc

Igor

How to prepare and then burn DVD-Video or SVCD disc

Using PicturesToExe you are able to produce AVI video file which can be easily burned as DVD-Video disc with help of any special software (read below). Even it is possible to create SVCD disc on usual CD-R disc with high quality of image and sound (almost as DVD-Video). PicturesToExe provides fast and lossless transferring of video and audio for converting into DVD-Video format. This allows to keep excellent quality of your presentations and very smooth transition effects.

Advice: please create usual EXE files for playing of presentations on PC, and DVD-Video disc if you want to play your presentations on DVD players connected to TV.

Newest version of PicturesToExe is 4.20 beta:

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/apr_beta.zip

1) Preparing of AVI file file in PicturesToExe:

Start PicturesToExe; open your project; and then call AVI video output dialog ("AVI button in the main window of PicturesToExe").

Choose "NTSC" TV system, if you live in United States, Canada, Japan, Taiwan or South Korea. Choose "PAL/SECAM" TV system you live in Europe, Australia, Africa, or in any other country.

Select "DVD-Video disc", if you have DVD-Writer or "SVCD disc" if you have usual CD-R/RW drive.

"Interlaced for TV" option is highly recommended to get excellent quality and smoothness of transitions on TV.

You can click "Preview" button to immediately see the resulting presentation playing as video file. In this mode, please ignore that transitions may be shown not so smooth. But on burned DVD-Video disc all transition effects will play excellent as in usual EXE file. Also we recommend to make sure that text fonts are enough large to be readable on the screen of TV.

Now click the "Create AVI file" button and PicturesToExe will produce video file within 10-30 seconds. Important note: Please don't click "Finish" button until you didn't fully burn the DVD-Video disc.

2) Converting and burning AVI video file into DVD-Video disc:

PicturesToExe can not burn DVD-Video, so you need to make use of any special software which can convert produced AVI video file into DVD-Video format and burn the disc.

We recommend you to use Ulead DVD MovieFactory2 http://www.ulead.com/store/dmf/runme.htm which can do it. Also you will able to make simple DVD menu. (In this program, please don't forget to choose NTSC or PAL/SECAM in the Preferences window. To call this window, press F6 key).

Please click the "Finish" button in PicturesToExe when the disc will be fully written. (Temporary AVI video file will be automatically deleted, because it is intended only for converting into DVD-Video format.)

-------------------------------------------

Note: Advanced users can use "Create custom AVI video file" option for various purposes. This allows to produce AVI video file with necessary audio and video codecs (MPEG4, MJPEG, etc).

Could you please take this a step further with instructions on exactly what to do in Ulead DVD MovieFactory2. When I open the program, how will I find the temporary .AVI file created by P2E? I know this is basic, but I have just downloaded the trial and am not sure how to proceed once I have completed the steps in P2E.

Thanks in advance.

A simple way and useful for many similar situations, is to just use your FIND command found under your Windows start button. Just ask FIND to find the *.avi files that have been modified in the last day. Once you find the location, then use the file browser (Import) in Video Factory. Good luck.

When you click "Create AVI" button in PicturesToExe, the program will ask you filename and path where you would like to save this AVI file. Then start Ulead DVD MovieFactory2 and select this AVI file where you saved it.

Please use "Preview" button (which created video file in temp folder) only to see resulting presentation not for adding into DVD burning software!

Regrettably it doesn't work as simply as that! At least not in the trial version of Ulead DVD MovieFactory2 that I have which does not recognise the AVI file with the extension [*Pte] created by PTE. In fact my version would appear to recognise only files created with file extensions *.iso; *.ixa - whatever they are! In consequence I cannot load the AVI file into MovieFactory2.

Any Ideas anyone?

MalcolmG

MalcolmG, there's still confusion hovering over your attempts. Lets see if this can help clear it up. I am also using only the 30 day trial version of Ulead Video Factory 2.

( IF you are trying to use .pte or .iso or .ixa, - they are all NOT part of what you are trying to accomplish.)

Here we go:

Use PTE version 4.20 Beta #4

On PTE main screen, choose AVI and on next screen, Create AVI , here you choose where to save the file you will soon use in Video Factory.

Now, leaving PTE and the created file open, start your Video Factory program and do this in Video Factory:b

Start project

click Next

Add video - this is where you guide the program to the avi file you created by PTE. The created file you need

add here will show up as .avi or .ptev - either way, Video Factory will recognize it as a file it can

work with for you.

Next

Next

Next

Record to disc

Output

Unless I have made a mistake, those are all actual keystrokes you can make to burn your SVCD or DVD.

Please let us know when you make the "glorious" breakthrough and it works for you.

Since my prior message, it has become more suspicious that MalcolmG and I are looking at different screens of info, even though we are both talking about Ulead Video Factory 2. Maybe Michel or anyone else who is working with Ulead Video Factory 2 can tell us what you see vs. the ongoing descriptions from MalcolmG and myself. Our latest thought is perhaps there are regional versions of the software? Or maybe a different interface for XP vs. Win98?

• 2 weeks later...

Isabel

Installing the beta in the 4.14 directory will over-write the existing files.

However, if you want to keep 4.14, copy the entire directory to a new one, and then install the beta in it, and you will be able to use both versions.

You can also create a new "shortcut" icon for the new version, rename it "PTE Beta-x" (or something similar), and you will have it available, along with the old 4.14 version, whenever you want to use the new one instead.

I am very confused. I'm attempting to save a presentation to CD but I cannot find the AVI button on the screen where I choose my project. Am I in the correct place? If I choose create as...from the file menu there is no choice for type AVI only EXE and SCR

I'm sorry for all the questions but as I said in my first post...I'm a beginner with no experience in Graphic Programs and can use all the help I could get!! H E L P!!!

Cathy

Cathy:

I assume you want to make a presentation that will play on your DVD player?

It sounds like this instruction from Igor that you need help with:

Start PicturesToExe; open your project; and then call AVI video output dialog ("AVI button in the main window of PicturesToExe").

The button you want to click is the "Video" button at the bottom of the PTE screen. Then click "DVD-Video Disc" and "interlaced" and "For Ulead DVD Movie Factory" if you are using the Ulead program.

When you click "Create AVI" PTE will create a temporary AVI file from your slideshow.

We recommend you to use Ulead DVD MovieFactory2 http://www.ulead.com/store/dmf/runme.htm which can do it.

To complete that step you will need the moviefactory (or similar) program and a DVD burner (to make a DVD) or CD burner (to make an SVCD).

You can read more about creating DVDs or SVCDs on http://www.dvdhelp.com.

Dana

I think I may be right in saying that the "Video" button was named "AVI" in the original Beta, hence maybe the confusion.

Ron [uK]

Although I am still at a loss as to why my trial version of Ulead Movie Factory will not work with Pictures to Exe I am pleased to report that my recently acquired Roxio Easy Creator 6 does, so, at long last, I am able to burn my slide shows to cd. A cautionary note however for other users having the same problem as me - if you use any software other than Ulead you will need to untick the Ulead box in the PTE AVI custom window otherwise the slideshow will be automatically saved with a file extension *pte instead of the required *avi

MalcolmG

I do not see a Video button or an AVI button. Am I in the correct screen?

The screen I'm in after selecting my slideshow has 3 buttons on the lower right CREATE, PREVIEW and PROJECT OPTIONS

To the right is my slide list. Below that is "SHOW IMAGE, COMMENT, SOUND..below that is

"P" (not sure what that is) CUSTOMIZE SLIDE, OBJECT EDITOR

And below those buttons are

ADD, REMOVE SLIDE, CLEAR LIST

Where am I????

I do not see a Video button or an AVI button.  Am I in the correct screen?

The screen I'm in after selecting my slideshow has 3 buttons on the lower right CREATE, PREVIEW and PROJECT OPTIONS

To the right is my slide list.  Below that is "SHOW IMAGE, COMMENT, SOUND..below that is

"P" (not sure what that is) CUSTOMIZE SLIDE, OBJECT EDITOR

And below those buttons are

ADD, REMOVE SLIDE, CLEAR LIST

Where am I????

Catlem...

Are you using the latest beta which is 4.20 beta 5?

Here is a scrrenshot for you to see!!

Screenshot

Hope this helps and also checkout my tutorial..it is fairly useful

Bart

Bart,

THANK YOU!! :D

I had version 4.14...I downloaded 4.20 and saw the video button....for awhile I thought I was going nuts!!!

I made a CD with Nero...very rough....but just wanted to see how far I can go...Now it's time to read the instructions.

Where can I find your tutorial?

Now it's time to learn to do it the correct way!

My son tells me I could use Windows Movie Maker instead of PTE. Is this true?

Thanks again for all the help

Cathy

Cathy:

You can use Windows Movie Maker 2.0 to import the AVI file created by PTE, and then create your movie from there. So you would use Movie maker to create your CD from the PTE AVI file.

I can't tell if Windows Movie maker creates a VCD or SVCD, or some other variant, but they do use a format called HighMAT that may or may not be supported by your DVD player. So you should do a test first. And remember that for distribution of your slideshows (if you plan to share them w/friends/family) VCD is more compatible across various DVD players but not universal and relatively low quality, SVCD is less compatible across various DVD players but has much better quality.

You could also create your slideshow from scratch w/in Movie maker (e.g., import pictures into Movie Maker and arrange them on the timeline, add effects, etc., but i wouldn't recommend it - much more tedious than using PTE.

Dana

I completed all of the steps to make a SVCD and everything seemed to go normally but at the end, after a couple of hours of Ulead “burn” time, I ended up with the following error message: “Failed to convert video file Error: 800411c21.” Anybody experience this - and solve it?

John Rees

I have made several avi files using the "custom" function. I made these using a panasonic codec. The resulting file for my main project came out at just over 4 GB. Studio 8 and click to DVD (sony software) cannot open it. I tried making several other files of the same project using less pictures and the small files opened fine. Is there a maximum avi file size that pte can make? There were no error or other messages when the large file was created. Has anyone else had problems making large files in the custom function? I'm fairly new at this, so any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I have been playing around with Beta #5 and Nero 6 (Nero VisionExpress 2) which makes a very good SVCD from my PTE AVI file. The picture quality on my TV (PAL Analogue 4:3 format) at normal viewing distance equals the quality of the slides on my monitor.

I have two problems with using Nero - format of slides and speed of encoding.

The encoding takes around two and a half hours for a six minute show with sound as against about an hour with TMPGEnc, but the quality is better. TMPGEnc shows shimmering in specular highlights whereas Nero is very stable. What a pity Nero is so slow (but it might be my PentiumIII 800 Mhz PC, due to be replaced shortly).

The format poses problems as well. I used 768pxls x 512pxls for the images and an Mp3 background music track for my first effort which nicely filled the TV screen with the fit to screen box checked in project options and synchronise slideshow to music checked - this worked fine. Nero VisionExpress 2 was set to 4:3 format. My DVD player was set to 4:3 format as was the TV.

I then cropped all the images to 768pxls x 432 pxls and repeated the process, this time setting Nero VE2 to the 16:9 format (Nero's templates of background images for titles are of this pixel dimension and fill the 16:9 part of my TV when both it and the DVD player are set to 16:9). I was rather surprised to find that the show didn't fill the screen this time and needed the DVD player to be set to about 120% zoom.

I am completely mystified with this as to me it defies logic. Can anyone tell me whether it is likely to be an incompatibilty between PTE and Nero or whether it is to do with my assumptions on image pixel dimensions.

The procedure I have been using with Nero is to encode the AVI file from PTE first and save it as an Mpeg2 file, then open this later with Nero to burn an SVCD creating a title at that stage (I do get a short spell of "transcoding" before writing to disc which may be the title section being "fitted" to the show!!!

Any ideas or suggestions anyone? (in layman's terms please, if possible!!!)

Eric

after reading your description

TMPGEnc shows shimmering in specular highlights

i tried the following using the same exe --

create an avi with the sharpen and dvd boxes checked

then encode a vcd then a svcd using the default settings of tmpgenc -- 2 properly named mpg's

then using nero 5.5 and its default settings created a vcd

i used the vcd mpg first then the svcd -- nero re encodes the svcd and then makes the combined vcd disc.

i was having pulsations on the screen in the sky areas of the frames

the pulsations are still there in the first section, but are gone in the second [re encoded svcd] section

stats

winxp home PIII 1.3 ghz 512 ram 1 gig min max page file[swp]

exe = 9.65mb

avi= 118.997mb

vcd=116.825 mb-- 28 mins to encode

svcd = 142.961 mb -- 33 mins to encode

for experimetal purposes i then decided to make a "make believe dvd "-- burned the file to a cd-r to get some idea of time and file size --have no dvd burner

used the same 118.997 mb avi and imported into ezcd 6 platinum

the final dvd file size was 413 mb and 42 mins to encode

wmp 9 will play it on the computor but none of my dvd players will play it:(

will try it with a smaller file a different brand of disk.

no luck with different brand of cd

this info will be entered into my tips thread

ken

Using PicturesToExe you are able to produce AVI video file which can be easily burned as DVD-Video disc with help of any special software (read below). Even it is possible to create SVCD disc on usual CD-R disc with high quality of image and sound (almost as DVD-Video). PicturesToExe provides fast and lossless transferring of video and audio for converting into DVD-Video format. This allows to keep excellent quality of your presentations and very smooth transition effects.

Advice: please create usual EXE files for playing of presentations on PC, and DVD-Video disc if you want to play your presentations on DVD players connected to TV.

Choose "NTSC" TV system, if you live in United States, Canada, Japan, Taiwan or South Korea. Choose "PAL/SECAM" TV system you live in Europe, Australia, Africa, or in any other country.

Select "DVD-Video disc", if you have DVD-Writer or "SVCD disc" if you have usual CD-R/RW drive.

"Interlaced for TV" option is highly recommended to get excellent quality and smoothness of transitions on TV.

You can click "Preview" button to immediately see the resulting presentation playing as video file. In this mode, please ignore that transitions may be shown not so smooth. But on burned DVD-Video disc all transition effects will play excellent as in usual EXE file. Also we recommend to make sure that text fonts are enough large to be readable on the screen of TV.

Now click the "Create AVI file" button and PicturesToExe will produce video file within 10-30 seconds. Important note: Please don't click "Finish" button until you didn't fully burn the DVD-Video disc.

PicturesToExe can not burn DVD-Video, so you need to make use of any special software which can convert produced AVI video file into DVD-Video format and burn the disc.

We recommend you to use Ulead DVD MovieFactory2 http://www.ulead.com/store/dmf/runme.htm which can do it. Also you will able to make simple DVD menu. (In this program, please don't forget to choose NTSC or PAL/SECAM in the Preferences window. To call this window, press F6 key).

Please click the "Finish" button in PicturesToExe when the disc will be fully written. (Temporary AVI video file will be automatically deleted, because it is intended only for converting into DVD-Video format.)

Note: Advanced users can use "Create custom AVI video file" option for various purposes. This allows to produce AVI video file with necessary audio and video codecs (MPEG4, MJPEG, etc).

Many thanks will look at Ulead prog. I am using Magix photo's to Cd & DVD at present no success

Photoman :rolleyes:

Many thanks will look at Ulead prog. I am using Magix photo's to Cd & DVD at present no success

Photoman :rolleyes:

Subject: "Interlaced for TV" option

Hi Igor,

I currently use TPE to generate custom AVI files (16:9 1024x576 for 720:576 PAL 16:9 display) and get good results. The encoder is TMPGenc and burning prog VCDEasy.

While doing some tests, I noticed that either the TPE interlaced option was selected or no, TMPGenc recognize an interlaced "video source" with both settings.

No differences at TV display.

What do you think about ?