WnSoft Forums

Patching PTE to see 4GB of memory

potwnc

Has anyone tried this tool on the PTE executable? Can anyone from WnSoft say whether this tool will work with PTE?

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Potwnc,

I have been 'scratching' my Head wondering how the little "4GB-Patch" actually works for XP-Memory expansion on

a 64-Bit PC-Platform. (Although its named as "4GB-Patch" it only provides a claimed 2.GB of additional memory.

In a 32-Bit PC-System the theorethical possible logic states are 2³² = 4.294 Giga-states which is 'analogous' to

4.29 GigaByte of Memory. But because XP uses 64.Bit Data-Width this reduces the available Memory to 2.14 Gb of

'Usable-memory' but in practice that availability is lower than 2.Gb by the amount of Physical-RAM Memory used by

the XP-Operating-System ~ thats some 350.Mb without other demands.

Effectively we only have access to some 1.65.Gb(Max) of User-RAM and less than 3.6.Gb of Virtual-Memory which is

created on the HD and thats simply because its a 32.Bit System capable of addressing 4.Gb of Memory (thats its limit).

The only way I can see an XP getting access to a 64.Bit-MemorySystem of a Win-7 PC is somehow by virtue of making

its 64.Bit Data-Width address a "pre-programmed" 2.Gb-Partition on the Win 64-Bit Hard Drive thus creating 2.Gb of

Virtual Memory and as 'virtual-memory' is quite slow it would require a Triple/Quad-Processor PC to run a PTE-Exe in

those circumstances. Another way is to create a 'Virtual-Drive' on the 64.Bit HD-Drive but this again is another form of

'partition' and will have the same speed limitations in running a PTE.Exe given that only 1.65.Gb of User-RAM is actually

available due to the 32.Bit addressing routine.....I wonder am I missing something here ??

I Note from the 'Next-Core' documentation that it makes a 'Copy' of the XP-File (PTE.Exe) and works on that rather than

the original and I wonder why this is so ?? ~ or indeed is this an exact Copy ~ or is it a 'pre-processes' Copy for working

in the 64.Bit Virtual-Memory environment. (See attachment)

The "4GB-Patch Utility" seems to be quite simple ~ no harm in trying it ~ provided it comes with its own Uninstaller ??

If not ~ forget it because an un-used Partition or Virtual-Drive can cause serious 'havoc' with its Host-Operating System

should it become corrupted in any way. (Been there got the T-Shirt)

The above explaination is simplified for easy understanding of the basics involved....I hope its of some help to you.

Brian.(Conflow)

It's a very interesting idea.

However we don't recommend use this utility for executable slideshows for the following reasons:

1. It's difficult to reach 2GB memory limit in a slideshow. PicturesToExe keeps in the memory only 3 slides and unload old used slides.

2. Small number of installed 64-bit Windows on PCs of users. If you plan to exceed 2Gb limit and patched EXE file works on your 64-bit PC with Windows 7 x64, it will not work correctly on 32-bit version of Windows.

3. Strange problem with antiviruses. Avira antivirus said that patched EXE file has a virus and but no problem with the original EXE file. Although the only difference is 4 bytes in the EXE file.

Probably this utility is good for 3D games. Maybe even it can be used to patch the main program of PicturesToExe.exe because the editor can utilize more memory than a slideshow.

But definitely it's only for personal use.