orizaba

Big problem!

PTE 7.0.7

Windows XP SP3 100% updated

Processor Intel Core i5-750 2,67 GHz

3,24 GB RAM

ATI RADEON HD5770 1GB

HDD (2 TB) 100% clean and 100% defragmented

Preparing a project (now with 13 minutes from start), actualy working on slide 39.

Project is 16x9, movies are HD 1920x1080, slides (JPEG) are about 3 MB each, lots of PNG files (1920x1080), etc..

Without explanation, when playing either from timeline, O&A or fullscreen, PTE started to crash when reaching slide 36. Never happened during hundreds of plays before.

Error: OUT OF MEMORY.

Slide 36 is 57,740 sec, and is very complex: lots of graphics, lots of movies (all converted in PTE converter), lots of pictures, lots of animations and fadings, etc..

What is the meaning of OUT OF MEMORY?

Mainly because I didn't add nothing recently to slide 36. As I said I am already working on slide 39.

Is it a restriction of PTE?

Is it a problem with some of my memory elements which may have "crashed"?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Please check up memory usage for PicturesToExe in Task Manager. It seems that the program utilizes more than 2GB memory. How many large PNG images (1920x1080) on every slide?

Can you send me source files on this project?

Thanks Igor.

I checked PTE in Task Manager, playing from start in the timeline:

1 - Stabilized, after opened ..... CPU=00 Mem Usage= 316124 K

2 - Average till slide #30 ......... CPU=30 Mem Usage= 500000 K

3 - Slide #31 ......................... CPU=37 Mem Usage= 918240 K

4 - Slide #33 ......................... CPU=39 Mem Usage= 1121504 K

5 - Slide #35 ......................... CPU=35 Mem Usage= 1422536 K

6 - Slide #36 ......................... CPU=85 Mem Usage= 1503960 K

7 - Slide #37 ......................... CPU=50 Mem Usage= 1364928 K

Etc..

While playing from timeline for this test, first thing in the morning (cool computer), PTE didn't crash!

Immediatly after, I opened Slide 36 in O&A.

At once, CPU=44 Mem Usage= 1924608 K and CRASHED!

As you said, may be Memory Usage overpassed 2G when O&A opened (not even playing, because crashed at once).

How many big PNG files? Lots... But I need them because of transparency.

Anyhow: why did PTE played ok from timeline, and only crashed in O&A?

Is this 2G maximum a limitation of PTE or a limitation of Windows XP?

How can I send you a file with my Slide #36 only, as it is now?

Thanks,

Jose

Jose,

Please can you send me this project in ZIP archive? I'll check up for possible problems in PTE. Also probably I will find a way to optimize it.

You can use Mediafire, Dropbox, or Google SkyDrive to upload a file.

About memory usage. PicturesToExe several times loads a project:

1. One copy for Slide list.

2. Another copy for mini-player.

3. One more copy for O&A editor.

Jose,

Please can you send me this project in ZIP archive? I'll check up for possible problems in PTE. Also probably I will find a way to optimize it.

Hi, Igor and Peter,

Yes, Peter, that's exactly this. PTE reached 2GB authorized by XP 32 bit to run any program!

In this meantime I asked to my "computer advisors" and they confirmed it.

So, no solution inside XP 32 bit.

Yes, Igor, I will send you a ZIP archive as soon as possible.

I understood that you said that PTE loads about 3 copies of "samething" to run different components (slide list, mini player and O&A) and this may explain why 2GB are reached if project is a little bit more complex.

As you said, this should be optimized!!! I never imagined...

After asking my "computer advisors", as said before, I will try NOW to get around this situation:

- Keep XP as it is (installed on "C" drive)

- Create a DUAL BOOT system (XP and WINDOWS 7)

- Install WINDOWS 7 in another HDD "E", which I have available and clean.

- In WINDOWS 7 I will only install PTE 7.0.7

- In XP, all my other programs will remain installed as they are.

- In XP I will continue to edit and prepare all my slides, movies, etc., etc., using my actual editing software as it is now. When components (files) are ready to go to PTE, I will do it in WINDOWS 7, and edit them there, where there is no memory usage limitation.

- A little bit more complicated, but better than "remake" my project which will increase complexity from mow on...!

- All this because I do not want to "replace" XP by WINDOWS 7, because I would have to install from new all my software, and configure it as it is, which would take about 2 or 3 weeks... and I am trying to have my project ready for Christmas...! Impossible, such replacement!

Do you think this reasonable?

Thanks,

Jose

Jose,

Igor,

I am now uploading to GOOGLE DRIVE a Backup-Zip of my project. It is 1,1 GB.

This backup is project as actualy is running in Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

In these 2 days I installed a DUAL BOOT with Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, in which I installed PTE 7.0.7.

I must say that I am not very happy...

I only run my project once (fullscreen), and I could see some "flickerings" on more "dificult" parts, which I didn't expect to see (same as XP).

Anyhow, when slide 36 came, system didn't crash. This is positive.

My surprise was when came slide 38: fade-in transition to a single photo (JPEG with only 2,85MB) starting with a big and slow zoom-out.

PTE crashed, everything crashed, and I had to reset the computer, no way with Task Manager.

May be the reason is the photo to be 5616x3159 pixel (from RAW HD), and I need it because zoom out starts from a big close up.

Of course, I could downsize the photo to 1920x1080, but close up would be bad quality.

And I found it very strange because PTE in Windows XP does not put any problem, photo runs smooth and clean.

Why this happens in Windows 7 64-bit?

Is PTE 7.0.7 really prepared and configured to 64-bit, or only "adapted"...?

Another point: I am also uploading 2 snapshots of same slide, one running in XP, the other in WIN7.

In WIN7, spaces between words of the text got longer, and text runs out of the "paper".

Do you have any explanation for this? How will come out final MP4 file which I will make?

Please, let me know a private email address to send you the links for backup and snapshots.

Regards,

Jose

Igor,

I am now uploading to GOOGLE DRIVE a Backup-Zip of my project. It is 1,1 GB.

This backup is project as actualy is running in Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

In these 2 days I installed a DUAL BOOT with Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, in which I installed PTE 7.0.7.

I must say that I am not very happy...

I only run my project once (fullscreen), and I could see some "flickerings" on more "dificult" parts, which I didn't expect to see (same as XP).

Anyhow, when slide 36 came, system didn't crash. This is positive.

My surprise was when came slide 38: fade-in transition to a single photo (JPEG with only 2,85MB) starting with a big and slow zoom-out.

PTE crashed, everything crashed, and I had to reset the computer, no way with Task Manager.

May be the reason is the photo to be 5616x3159 pixel (from RAW HD), and I need it because zoom out starts from a big close up.

Of course, I could downsize the photo to 1920x1080, but close up would be bad quality.

And I found it very strange because PTE in Windows XP does not put any problem, photo runs smooth and clean.

Why this happens in Windows 7 64-bit?

Is PTE 7.0.7 really prepared and configured to 64-bit, or only "adapted"...?

Another point: I am also uploading 2 snapshots of same slide, one running in XP, the other in WIN7.

In WIN7, spaces between words of the text got longer, and text runs out of the "paper".

Do you have any explanation for this? How will come out final MP4 file which I will make?

Please, let me know a private email address to send you the links for backup and snapshots.

Regards,

Jose

Igor,

Problem seems more serious than I thought.

PTE 7.0.7 is crashing and crashing, always OUT OF MEMORY, and it is impossible to edit anything. 100% inoperational.

PTE is not a native 64-bit program, it only runs in 64-bit systems but with all limitations of 32-bit systems (mainly 2 GB memory possible).

That was my above question: Is PTE 7.0.7 really prepared and configured to 64-bit, or only "adapted"...? to which you didn't reply.

By the way, you didn't send neither an email address in order that I can send you the backup-zip you asked for.

In this meantime, because I intended to finish my project for Christmas, as you didn't inform me of the really situation, I spent a lot of money installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and increasing my RAM memory from 4 GB to 16 GB.

That was the "solution" I asked you if it was reasonable. As I can now conclude, it was tottaly unreasonable.

Bad support!

I thought that new version 7.5 (Beta 14, I suppose) could "solve" the situation and I installed and run it.

What a disapointment! Still a native 32-bit program!

So, my Christmas project finishes here.

I regret very much that PTE, beeing the best I could find to make super-quality slideshows, couldn't see that actual systems demand more program's performance (64-bit), and I also regret that PTE doesn't clarify that its 64-bit running possibility does not correspond to specifications of a 64-bit operating system.

Today, PTE made my day!

Regards,

Jose

Jose,

There have never been any announcements that WnSoft had introduced a 64-bit version of PTE. There is still one installation file that works for all kinds of Windows systems (XP or newer, 32 or 64 Bit). The PTE application only exports one type of executables that run on all Windows systems. How could you come to your conclusions? By the way, this is a forum for user discussions rather than a portal for the manufacturer's user support.

Regards,

Xaver

Jose,

There have never been any announcements that WnSoft had introduced a 64-bit version of PTE. There is still one installation file that works for all kinds of Windows systems (XP or newer, 32 or 64 Bit). The PTE application only exports one type of executables that run on all Windows systems. How could you come to your conclusions? By the way, this is a forum for user discussions rather than a portal for the manufacturer's user support.

Regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

How could I come to my conclusions?

I tell you: loosing my money and patience!

Because I asked Igor, yesterday, if my "solution" (installing PTE on WIN 7 64-bit) was reasonable, and had no reply at all.

Anyhow, afterall, my conclusions are correct, no?

Concerning the "portal":

Is it not? Please note that it was Igor who replied to my first post, and I am replying to him. Is it forbiden?

By the way, just one of my recent conclusions: PTE is very, very good indeed... Not for projects a little bit more complex. And this should be clearly announced in specifications.

In fact, in case we push a little bit harder... CRASH is the result.

Anyhow, I insist, I don't know better than PTE, I only regret that it is not a 64-bit program in order that more than 2GB memory can be used.

Regards,

Jose

Jose,

I apologize for my late response, but I couldn't reply earlier.

PicturesToExe is a 32-bit software and it works under 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. We have too much existing code to be able quickly rewrite it to native 64-bit version. However we plan 64-bit version in future.

Please send me a link to ZIP archive with your project files by personal message through this forum. I'll check up what we can do to optimize this project.

Thanks in advance,

Confirmation that there will be a 64-bit version of PTE in the future is music to my ears - I have been asking for this for a long time! PTE is the only component of my workflow that is not native 64-bit. And since 7.5 will support ultra HD (4k) it really needs a 64-bit implementation for any serious project.

However... Jose, I don't think your problems are because of PTE 32-bit limitations. Of course I can't be sure but I say this because I have very large PTE projects of my own (many more than 38 slides, some of them larger than 5616x3159 and 3MB and some with complex animations). I have a dual-boot PC (Windows XP Professional 64-bit and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with 8GB RAM) and I have never had a problen with these very large PTE projects.

If you would like to send me the link to your zip archive I will also look at it and see if I can help.

Without wishing to reply to any particular message in this conversation, I would like to offer my thoughts. I write as a professional software developer of fifty years experience -- even more than Igor's, I suppose.

I beg you all to be sympathetic of Igor's challenge.

No matter what the application, any program that has to deal with unpredictable amounts of data has varying requirements of memory space. Whether it is an algorithmic computation involving large multi-dimentional arrays (my particular field), a graphical process on many image files, or any other kind of manipulation of large amounts of data, there is a limit to what can be processed. It is not a simple matter to judge, once the user's requirements are known, how much memory will be needed to perform the process.

It's not usually possible to tell the user "You have too many images" or "You have too many formulas in your spreadsheet", or "You have mathematical expressions too deeply nested", or whatever, the fact remains, there is not enough memnory to accomplish what you want the computer to do.

The response that most software will give is "Not enough memnory", "Not enough resources", or something similar.

It's quite simple ... you're pushing the limits, and you need to back off a bit.

A 64-bit version of PTE would probably overcome the immediate problem. However, we can be sure that, in a 64-bit world, some users will still push the boundaries and probably eventually be disappointed.

It's best, in my view, to accept that there are limitations (which cannot be explicitly specified), and do your best to work within those limitations.

Please (Igor and others) ... Do tell me if I'm wrong.

Ken T (APLman)

Ken,

Spot on!

I, too, was a software developer and technical support guru; in my case, for 30 years. No matter how powerful the computer is, there will always be some users who "push the envelope" up to its limits. All hardware has finite resource. Once that hardware is used up - CRASH! (or, to be more precise: error!). The only short term solution then lies in the hands of the user: either reduce the requirement for all that resource, or increase the resource.

Jose's problem is that his hardware has insufficient memory for the demands he is making of it. Furthermore, even if he gave it more RAM, his operating system could not use the extra RAM. Installing Windows 7 (even at 64-bit capability) has not increased the RAM. It is likely that it has, in all probability, reduced the available RAM since I would expect that Win 7 64-bit probably needs more memory for itself than does XP SP3 32-bit. Even if Jose purchased a new PC using Win 7 64-bit and 8GB or more of RAM, I think there is a chance that he might still hit a limit. But then that limit would be in PTE. At present his limiting factor is not PTE. It is his hardware and operating system combination.

I know that's bad news for you, Jose, but I'm sorry - I think that is the truth of your situation.

regards,

Peter

Ken,

Spot on!

I, too, was a software developer and technical support guru; in my case, for 30 years. No matter how powerful the computer is, there will always be some users who "push the envelope" up to its limits. All hardware has finite resource. Once that hardware is used up - CRASH! (or, to be more precise: error!). The only short term solution then lies in the hands of the user: either reduce the requirement for all that resource, or increase the resource.

Jose's problem is that his hardware has insufficient memory for the demands he is making of it. Furthermore, even if he gave it more RAM, his operating system could not use the extra RAM. Installing Windows 7 (even at 64-bit capability) has not increased the RAM. It is likely that it has, in all probability, reduced the available RAM since I would expect that Win 7 64-bit probably needs more memory for itself than does XP SP3 32-bit. Even if Jose purchased a new PC using Win 7 64-bit and 8GB or more of RAM, I think there is a chance that he might still hit a limit. But then that limit would be in PTE. At present his limiting factor is not PTE. It is his hardware and operating system combination.

I know that's bad news for you, Jose, but I'm sorry - I think that is the truth of your situation.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

You are "almost" right!

You only missed that I created a Dual Boot (XP 32-bit and WIN7 64-bit).

Besides, I increased RAM from 4GB to 16GB.

So, as you said, "... that limit would be in PTE." Correct, the limit is in PTE because it is a native 32-bit software.

Another point: in my opinion, "push the limits" is what makes the difference! No more comments on this...

You are right: working on WIN7 64-bit, PTE shows a more bad behavor. Reason is that WIN7 64-bit eats more RAM than XP 32-bit, so PTE limits go down. I verified this.

Final thought: it is amazing that PTE still is a 32-bit native program!

I am the first to confirm that PTE is the best!

But, in my opinion, it's no worth to invent such astonishing capabilities of PTE, if it only can work in a system which offers such strong limitations, as 32-bit offers.

I only faced it now, not before, I've never worried on this.

By the way: I found a way to over ride such limits... And I am going on pushing...! May be my project will be ready for Christmas...

Reduce the requirements as a short term solution? Never!

Thanks for your thoughts and best regards,

Jose

Jose,

Try to turn on "Minimize video card usage" option in the Preferences | System tab. It will close 3D engine in mini-player and Slide list when you go to O&A editor and thus provides more available memory. When you finish work in O&A editor the program will automatically re-activate mini-player and Slide list.

Jose,

Try to turn on "Minimize video card usage" option in the Preferences | System tab. It will close 3D engine in mini-player and Slide list when you go to O&A editor and thus provides more available memory. When you finish work in O&A editor the program will automatically re-activate mini-player and Slide list.

Thanks Igor, not enough memory yet.

But never mind, as I said above I already overpassed this problem keeping my "limits" untouched and still working in my XP 32-bit.

In the meantime, let us wait for PTE native 64-bit, avoiding tricky solutions and giving PTE all its well worthy freedom.

You are keeping a Pitbul in a Caniche case...

Regards,

Jose

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another reason for a 64-bit PTE (and an example of the trend for PTE's competition). I use Sony Vegas Pro version 10 for all my final video editing/rendering/authoring to DVD and Blu-ray. Sony just released version 12 and I would like to upgrade. However (from Sony's web site): "64-bit operating systems are the best choice for high-end performance. By focusing exclusively on 64-bit operating systems, Vegas Pro 12 overcomes many of the limitations of legacy 32-bit software/hardware architecture, enabling users to enjoy superior performance and improved stability for memory-intensive projects and formats." In other words the product is no longer available as a 32-bit application.

I just confirmed that the virtual AVI output from PTE 7.5 cannot be read by Sony Vegas Pro version 10 64-bit edition. I'm quite sure the same would be true for version 12. All of which means if I upgraded to version 12 I would have to stop using PTE - not a wise move!

Here's another reason for a 64-bit PTE (and an example of the trend for PTE's competition). I use Sony Vegas Pro version 10 for all my final video editing/rendering/authoring to DVD and Blu-ray. Sony just released version 12 and I would like to upgrade. However (from Sony's web site): "64-bit operating systems are the best choice for high-end performance. By focusing exclusively on 64-bit operating systems, Vegas Pro 12 overcomes many of the limitations of legacy 32-bit software/hardware architecture, enabling users to enjoy superior performance and improved stability for memory-intensive projects and formats." In other words the product is no longer available as a 32-bit application.

I just confirmed that the virtual AVI output from PTE 7.5 cannot be read by Sony Vegas Pro version 10 64-bit edition. I'm quite sure the same would be true for version 12. All of which means if I upgraded to version 12 I would have to stop using PTE - not a wise move!

Another member, today, in another thread, found himself in the same OUT OF MEMORY situation with his PTE 7.5 on Win7 64-bit, so I understood.

Suggested solution was to split his project in smaller parts.

That's what I am doing, but each time I do it I can't avoid to claim against this 32-bit PTE version.

I think that Igor and his team, despite beeing the brilliant authors of this fantastic and unique software, still didn't really get the enormous potentialities of PTE.

Because, it's my opinion, if they would, the native 64-bit version would be already under way.

This would be a must since FULL HD video got generalized, years ago.

So, I even think that "PTE video version" could be the moment to develop it under 64-bit.

Let us wait for better news.