WnSoft Forums

creating h264 video using x264 encoder

Picsel

With Windows 7 or 8 which are 64bits systems and PTE which remains today in 32 bits architecture

I would like to know if it is better to use x264vfw encoder in 32 or 64bits versions for creating h264 videos.

Is there some limitations given by PTE or not?

Hi Dave

creating an AVI video file you can choose your encoder with the "custom video and audio codecs" option.

With another PC on which my softwares were in 32 bits including x264 encoder, that gaves me very good results. This is a new and very interesting feature provided by Igor with v75x, which is very easy to use and can gives better results than the "by default" ASP encoder (which is even not so bad).

So before installing new softwares on my Win7 Laptop I would like to know what is the better choice to do in order to avoid compatibility problems between softwares working on 32 or 64bits;

The fact that PTE is working on 32 bits could lead to use a 32 bits version for x264 encoder. I want to be sure. If there were no limitations, I would prefer to use a 64bits version which should encode faster than the 32bits one.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Creating AVIs with custom codec (e.g. x264vfw, the one that you like) can be done with earlier versions, as well. Two comments: 1. It is said that the AVI container is not well suited for H.264 encoded videos; 2. Take care if the AVI that you obtain in this way can exceed the limit of 2 GB, older versions of PTE could not do that.

I myself prefer the Xvid encoder, my TV (Samsung) likes it much more than H.264. My way to go: I create an uncompressed virtual (temporary) AVI with PTE, and transcode it with Virtual Dub to an Xvid encoded AVI. Virtual Dub can make AVIs of larger size.

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Xaver,

I noticed the same - my Samsung 40" LED Television plays animations much smoother with the Xvid encoder than with h.264.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Daniel,

Creating AVIs with custom codec (e.g. x264vfw, the one that you like) can be done with earlier versions, as well. Two comments: 1. It is said that the AVI container is not well suited for H.264 encoded videos; 2. Take care if the AVI that you obtain in this way can exceed the limit of 2 GB, older versions of PTE could not do that.

I myself prefer the Xvid encoder, my TV (Samsung) likes it much more than H.264. My way to go: I create an uncompressed virtual (temporary) AVI with PTE, and transcode it with Virtual Dub to an Xvid encoded AVI. Virtual Dub can make AVIs of larger size.

Regards,

Xaver

I also use 64-bit Windows but I only installed the 32-bit x264vfw. I've found in the past that PTE doesn't play too well with 64-bit software (except for MS WIndows itself). There's no harm in trying the 64-bit x264vfw and if it doesn't work well for you replace it with the 32-bit version. In general the 64-bit version should give faster render times for large/complex videos.

I also use 64-bit Windows but I only installed the 32-bit x264vfw. I've found in the past that PTE doesn't play too well with 64-bit software (except for MS WIndows itself). There's no harm in trying the 64-bit x264vfw and if it doesn't work well for you replace it with the 32-bit version. In general the 64-bit version should give faster render times for large/complex videos.

Hi Ray

Thanks for the advice but I can guess that inside PTE software code there is a command line which starts either x264vfw.dll in c/program files (x86) either in c/programs(x64), if I am right, that is not very difficult For PTE developers to give the right answer. I know, I can install both, x264, 32 and 64bits versions and play with that but it is not very logical. As an example, Avery Lee recommend to use Virtualdub 32bits even if the 64bits is available in order to avoid a compatibility problem with third parties plugins or codecs which remained in 32bits so I would like to know If such a recommendation can be given for using x264 with PTE.

Best regards

Daniel