WnSoft Forums

Error in video converter ? [SOLVED]

smokinggoldfish

I got confused when converting a 1440 by 1080 video. The video converter dialogue box shows the source size as 1440 x 1080 but then puts (16:9) in brackets behind it. It should read (4:3)

Or did I misunderstand something?

Screen dump attached.

smokinggoldfish

post-11492-0-59864900-1358077560_thumb.j

Guest Yachtsman1

I got confused when converting a 1440 by 1080 video. The video converter dialogue box shows the source size as 1440 x 1080 but then puts (16:9) in brackets behind it. It should read (4:3)

Or did I misunderstand something?

Screen dump attached.

smokinggoldfish

Hi Smokinggoldfish

When you set your show parameters in Project Options, what did you set the aspect ratio at? See screen shot.

Yachtsman1. I use 7.07.

post-5560-0-29104200-1358082260_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

In retrospect I misworded the question, did you start a new project, then alter the aspect ratio for the new project? This isn't done in project options, it's when you go to FILE NEW as per my screen shot in my first reply, I use 7.07 which version are you using?, the command structure could have changed in 7.5.

Yachtsman1.

Hi Yachtsman1,

in order to check that I had not changed something halfway through, I made a new project, setting the aspect ratio to 4:3 - as in your screen grab, and then went through the video convert stage again on the "raw" version of the video. I got exactly the same mismatch in the video converter dialogue box. So I don't think it is something I have done. PTE mistakenly says that my 1440 x 1080 video has an aspect ratio of 16:9! I guess it was a typo when the software was written?

smokinggoldfish

smokinggoldfish,

Please can you send me a sample video file which is 1440x1080 4:3 ?

I'm guessing what is causing this problem. Resolution 1440x1080 can be used for 4:3 and 16:9 videos. I have sample videos 1440x1080 16:9. The problem in a fact that ffmpeg library doesn't determine correctly aspect ratio of these files and we had to set manually 16:9 for 1440x1080 videos. Now cameras records at 16:9 and I didn't expect that we can have deal with 4:3 high definition video.

Can I ask you - where you create that video file? If you use video editor, can you simply set a bit larger resolution?

Hi Igor,

The file was created with a Sony DSC RX100 compact camera. In the MP4 types you can shoot at 1440 x 1080 or VGA, and I chose the higher resolution option.

The file is large 44.5 MB, so I shot another with the same settings but much shorter.The file properties state that it is 1440 by 1080, but when I play it in Windows Media Player it is clearly not 4:3. Measuring the screen image I get an aspect ratio of 1.76, which is almost exactly 16:9! But the picture has not been stretched - the round plate that I shot remains round in the playback. Windows tells me in "Properties" that the file is 1440 x 1080.

So it now appears that this file is not correctly described by the camera!

I tried to upload it but the file was rejected even though it was under 3MB. So I have put it in a dropbox folder:

My link

smokinggoldfish

smokinggoldfish,

If your orig video is a HD 1440 x 1080 ... this is technically considered a wide screen format. What format does the original video display during playback with a mediaplayer?

Hi nobeefstu,

this is all very confusing - how can 1440 x 1080 be wide screen? Unless the pixels are not square the aspect ratio should be 4:3?

But as I said below to Igor, when played back in Windows Media Player it is indeed widescreen.

smokinggoldfish

"how can 1440 x 1080 be wide screen? Unless the pixels are not square the aspect ratio should be 4:3?" This is exactly the explanation. The pixels are not square. In fact recording 16:9 HD format at 1440x1080 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.3333 is quite common and is considered one of the HD standards. Any good player will display the video correctly at 16:9.

Thanks potwnc,

So now I know that if I am to mix video and stills in a PTE sequence I should match the formats of both, rather than the pixels. In this case I should crop my stills to 1920 by 1080 to match the video of 1440 by 1080? (At least if I am to avoid black bars at the edges or missing bits of images.)

Are there other common video formats with non-square pixels?!

smokinggoldfish

"So now I know that if I am to mix video and stills in a PTE sequence I should match the formats of both, rather than the pixels. In this case I should crop my stills to 1920 by 1080 to match the video of 1440 by 1080? (At least if I am to avoid black bars at the edges or missing bits of images.)"

If you have a good video editor you could re-render the original video with square pixels if that's what you want. Otherwise yes your stills should match the aspect ratio (16:9) of the video. 1920x1080 is one example of 16:9.

"Are there other common video formats with non-square pixels?!"

Yes. For example commercial DVDs are often in 16:9 or other formats, which can only be achieved using non-square pixel aspect ratios.

Smokinggoldfish,

Please ignore my previous reply, I didn't fully understand the question.

This camera can record HD video in different formats including 1920x1080 and 1440x1080.

Although video picture is 1440x1080 (4:3) it contains 16:9 video. Real picture was distorted during video recording by this camera. Video player corrects it back to original proportions.

This video clip really has 16:9 aspect ratio and PicturesToExe shows it correctly.

P.S. Quite by accident, I also bought Sony RX100 camera the day before.

as a complementary information to ptwnc posts

In Sony's cameras

1440x1080 HD video is a 16/9 video format, also known as HDV format which uses anamorphic rectangular pixels 1,33/1 (as explained by ptwnc) and uses interlaced frames

1920x1080 HD video is obviously a 16/9 video format which is based on AVCHD, uses squarred pixels 1/1 and can be either interlaced or progressive depending on available options.

Now that Igor bought a Sony Camera I hope that, very soon, PTE will be able to support AVCHD video clips without reencoding it!

AVCHD is used by Sony, Panasonic ,...and others, that is a common standard for video HD based on H264 standard (equivalent to mpeg4 part 10)

Daniel

Guest Yachtsman1

In my experience, AVCHD is very memory hungry, in my early days of using video in PTE, I used AVCHD clips & got complaints of erratic playback. Since then I've used MP4. For users with pre W7 systems, it could cause problems. :unsure:/>

Yachtsman1

• 2 weeks later...