WnSoft Forums

Lightroom Tutorials

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks for this. I have struggled to get to grips with Lightroom. Now I might have a better chance.

Peter

===========================

I am in the same boat. I just have not found a use for LR. I tend to stick with Photoshop CS5 (for Levels and UnsharpMask) and a few other programs to rename/resize images. I like the Viveza plug-in, too, but only for its 'Structure' tool. But I went through a bunch of the tutorials that have been posted here and it made me learn a few things, so I might be getting into LR a bit more. I finally figured out how to "save" an image in LR....I mean 'Export' an image and Rename it. It is not a very intuitive program but it looks like I have to work a bit with it with much patience. So thanks to all the postings for the kick in the pants that I needed.

Gary

Dave/Gary,

Not so long ago you both asked me to intervene in a topic that you felt had been hijacked. This topic is about Lightroom Tutorials. What are you two discussing?

I haven't time to sort this out tonight. If you two haven't sorted it out by tomorrow morning, I will.

regards,

Peter

Dave/Gary,

Not so long ago you both asked me to intervene in a topic that you felt had been hijacked. This topic is about Lightroom Tutorials. What are you two discussing?

I haven't time to sort this out tonight. If you two haven't sorted it out by tomorrow morning, I will.

regards,

Peter

=========================

Peter,

Well, that is interesting. Since there was not a direct question asked in the initial posting, I did not think this was a 'hijack'. It had to do with, in my mind, software of interest that we can use. Yes, the posting had to do with tutorials for Lightroom, but I thought Dave's and my input fell into this 'topic' as alternative possibilities. Move them if you see fit, but I didn't think our postings took the topic into a different direction. And I think these Nik plugings can be used in Lightroom as external program (not plugins as in PS).

And, after reading some Forums, some of the Nik plugins do work within Lightroom.

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

IMO as the instigator of the topic, I should moderate this :rolleyes:/> IMO, it comes under the general heading Equipment & Software, if we start wearing blinkers when commenting on subjects like this, we will eventually go back to using square wheels. Now if the subject was changed to which black pudding is best, that may be a time to step in. IMO :P/> ;)/>

Yachtsman1.

===========================

I am in the same boat. I just have not found a use for LR. I tend to stick with Photoshop CS5 (for Levels and UnsharpMask) and a few other programs to rename/resize images. I like the Viveza plug-in, too, but only for its 'Structure' tool. But I went through a bunch of the tutorials that have been posted here and it made me learn a few things, so I might be getting into LR a bit more. I finally figured out how to "save" an image in LR....I mean 'Export' an image and Rename it. It is not a very intuitive program but it looks like I have to work a bit with it with much patience. So thanks to all the postings for the kick in the pants that I needed.

Gary

Likewise here. I have had several attempts at getting to grips with LR, but I just don't like it. It's fussy about the source files, doesn't like me taking them straight off the card, wants to put them into some sort of index, etc. and the controls are all sliders which I don't like all that much.

My usual modus operandi is to process raw files through DxOptics which identifies the camera and lens from the exif data, and applies the appropriate linear, sharpness, tonal, noise reduction and exposure corrections automatically. With, I might add, excellent results.

After that, tweaking and cropping in Photoshop completes the image work. Finally, if I am printing for exhibition, I use Qimage for superior printing.

Nowhere in that chain of processing can I find a slot for what LR does, so basically I bought LR on reputation which hasn't lived up to my personal way of working.

Try this link on YouTube for Lightroom tutorials, personal I think it's a great piece of software and wouldn't be without it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lightroom+4+tutorial+for+beginners&oq=lightroom+4&gs_l=youtube.1.1.0l10.29082.30386.0.33385.2.2.0.0.0.0.83.134.2.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.Yjr9mEQ9DWc

Try this link on YouTube for Lightroom tutorials, personal I think it's a great piece of software and wouldn't be without it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lightroom+4+tutorial+for+beginners&oq=lightroom+4&gs_l=youtube.1.1.0l10.29082.30386.0.33385.2.2.0.0.0.0.83.134.2.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.Yjr9mEQ9DWc

I agree with this! LR is (for me) the key to image processing for pleasure. I've used Photoshop for more years than I care to remember (and taught it too) but I now only use it when absolutely necessary. The Lightroom workflow combines so well with PTE - it's brilliant.

I wonder whether those who can't get on with Lightroom have given it a real try? Remember how much time and effort it took to become really familiar with Photoshop then give LR about 20 % of this to get properly familiar with it.

I agree with this! LR is (for me) the key to image processing for pleasure. I've used Photoshop for more years than I care to remember (and taught it too) but I now only use it when absolutely necessary. The Lightroom workflow combines so well with PTE - it's brilliant.

I wonder whether those who can't get on with Lightroom have given it a real try? Remember how much time and effort it took to become really familiar with Photoshop then give LR about 20 % of this to get properly familiar with it.

I agree also, Ive been using photoshop for over ten years and still use it sometimes but lightroom is my main program now, I believe its for photographers and once you find your way around, view many of the hundreds of help video's on you tube or wherever you might just find it quicker and easy to learn than photoshop ever was.

I agree also, Ive been using photoshop for over ten years and still use it sometimes but lightroom is my main program now, I believe its for photographers and once you find your way around, view many of the hundreds of help video's on you tube or wherever you might just find it quicker and easy to learn than photoshop ever was.

======================

Greetings,

I am sure you are right that once you learn your way around, it would be a useful program. But, I just can not get around something basic that maybe you can clue me in on, or staighten me out.

I have Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. I want to use LR 4.3 in a similar manner that I use PS. What I mean by this is that I can open an image in PS by just doing a File/Open. In LR, I have to deal with 'Catalogs'. I don't understand this concept. I already have my images in folders where I want them and can easily find them. I don't want 'Catalogs'. I have to do a 'File/Import' in LR to be able to view them as a Catalog in LR. Is LR creating a duplicate image? Or is it just a shortcut to the same image? I just can't figure it out. But I certainly don't want to have to open an entire Catalog just to get to one image or a group of images. I just want to see the image(s) in a Detail View with file name, file size, date modified, etc., and be able to select them.

Am I not seeing the forest for the trees? I just can't see how to work with LR in the way I normally work with other programs. Is there a way to do this???

Also, I can't figure out how (or if I can) get the Nik Viveza plugin to work in LR. (Though it looks like LR's Clarity is similar to Viveza's Structure tool, which is the main tool in Viveza that I like to use).

If I can do the same functions in Photoshop as I can in LR, I'd just prefer to keep using PS, mainly because of this inability of mine to understand the use of the LR's Catalog function and not being able to view the images in Details (as opposed to only as images). And, I can create 'Actions' in PS....I don't know if you can do this in LR (?).

Yes, I have viewed a bunch of tutorial videos, but they have not shed any light on my quesitons. :blink:/>

Gary

I have Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. I want to use LR 4.3 in a similar manner that I use PS. What I mean by this is that I can open an image in PS by just doing a File/Open. In LR, I have to deal with 'Catalogs'. I don't understand this concept.

The difference is that Lightroom does not actually change your original file at all. Lightroom builds a database which describes how the image will be processed when it is output for a particular reason. For example, if you're making a PTE show then you might want to crop your image to a particular shape, mybe convert to b & w, then produce jpgs of the correct size for your final show. When you do these things in LR, it "writes a recipe". When you tell it to output the files for your PTE show it produces new jpgs (or whatever file type you need) according to the instructions on its recipe card. Your original image is not affected in any way.

I already have my images in folders where I want them and can easily find them. I don't want 'Catalogs'. I have to do a 'File/Import' in LR to be able to view them as a Catalog in LR. Is LR creating a duplicate image? Or is it just a shortcut to the same image? I just can't figure it out.

The Lightroom catalogue is not a copy of your files but simply a reference to where they are already - you don't need to make any changes whatsover to your file structure - just tell LR where they are.

Am I not seeing the forest for the trees? I just can't see how to work with LR in the way I normally work with other programs. Is there a way to do this???

Also, I can't figure out how (or if I can) get the Nik Viveza plugin to work in LR. I don't use Viveza but Niks Silver Efex pro works well with LR - you simple Right-click on your image in LR and choose to edit in another program.

The problem is that LR works in a different way to PS. When I lecture on the two programs I often say "PS is singular: LR is plural". What I mean by this is that it is much easier to work on multiple images in LR - I demonstrate this by getting people to time how long it takes me to take 20 images in LR - adjust their exposure, contrast, white balance, crop them, sharpen them, convert to black and white then export as 1024 x 768 px jpgs. It wouldn't worry me if I had to do these basic adjustments to 500 images. Imagine just opening and saving these in PS!

I then get them to time me doing the same operation in PS - they usually get fed-up by the time I've done 4 or 5 images.

LR doesn't have actions - but it doesn't need them; automating processes in LR is far easier than writing the most basic action.

I hope this helps a little!

Guest Yachtsman1

GARY

this thread is not a "how to" for light room -- you are taking it that way

either take your questions to a new thread or private message one of the people that know how to use it.

tia

ken

Ken

This thread is called "Light Room Tutorials", what is your problem???

Yachtsman1.

Eric

I dont have a problem

i was under the impression when you started the thread, it was to direct people to sites for the tutorials

it was not a thread to solve lightroom problems -- if the sites that have been provided for tutorials - including the Adobe site" do not answer these questions then people have been led astray -- and they should get the answers from the light room forum

http://www.lightroomforums.net/forum.php

http://www.luminous-...ex.php?board=31

http://www.google.ca...iw=1452&bih=547

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric

I dont have a problem

i was under the impression when you started the thread, it was to direct people to sites for the tutorials

it was not a thread to solve lightroom problems -- if the sites that have been provided for tutorials - including the Adobe site" do not answer these questions then people have been led astray -- and they should get the answers from the light room forum

http://www.lightroomforums.net/forum.php

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=31

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=adobe+lightroom+forum&oq=light+room+forum&gs_l=hp.1.3.0i10l3j0i5i10i30.0.0.1.3078.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3B..0.0...1c..2.hp._vhgF81xyIw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41867550,d.dmg&fp=2a9ea56727bd30ab&biw=1452&bih=547

ken

Ken aggresive moderation is why people aren't willing to post. It's my thread, if I thought it was inapropriate I would say so, IMO there is nothing wrong with Gary's query. We've probably lost another bunch of possible posters now. :(/>

Yachtsman1.

GARY

this thread is not a "how to" for light room -- you are taking it that way

either take your questions to a new thread or private message one of the people that know how to use it.

tia

ken

====================

Ken,

You've got to be kidding. The original posting has to do with Lightroom Tutorials, which, in my mind, has to do with using LR to prep images for PTE. Now, there have been links on LR tutorials, so what is the difference if someone gets a bit more direct within this posting to ask about using LR?

This Forum is getting a bit too tight fisted. Let's relax and let it flow, so long as it is in the same vein and the OP has not complained.

I've already been chastized for only mentioning Viveza, which is a plug-in that I thought is supposed to work within LR.

Really puts a wet blanket on possible postings in the future.

Just my thoughts...

Gary

...LR doesn't have actions - but it doesn't need them; automating processes in LR is far easier than writing the most basic action.

I hope this helps a little!

=================

Roger,

Yes, thanks. I had a feeling what you said was the way it worked. I just could not find it said in the way you said it. I will just have to tinker with it some more. But I normally only make one version of an image and use it in PTE,or if I do, I just rename it. So the 'plural' process does not enter into my workflow...yet. But thanks for the encouragement and I'll see what I can get out of LR.

Thanks....

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

I hope I'm not guilty of hijack.

The great things about PTE fora is how helpful they are. Someone has a problem so I try to help!

perhaps I'll have to do my own site on how well LR & PTE mesh together?

Hi Roger

Please continue to post about Lightroom, there are lots of people interested.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.