WnSoft Forums

Windows 8

xahu34

Xaver

Have been running PTE, now 7.5.7, on Windows 8 for several months on new Dell PC (16GB of RAM, Intel I7 quad core, AMD Radeon 7870 video card with 2GB video RAM) with no problems. Despite the well reported problems with 8, including the email client, lack of start button etc., I find it stable and quick. The security issue over running exe files is easily circumnavigated and there are no problems when installing updates to PTE and installing PTE does produce an icon on the desktop unlike some software.

The software I run alongside PTE for making sequences, Adobe Audition 3, Adobe Premier Elements 10 (for video clips) and Photoshop CS6 also run with no major issues in Windows 8. Problems with video drivers in 8 (possibly also down to AMD) means that CS6 cannot be run using the advanced option in the use of the Performance - Graphics Processor options in CS6 but I cannot see any difference as filters etc. work instantly and have had only one crash with CS6 in four months. I also have Topaz filters loaded and they work as well as in 7.

All in all, happy with most aspects of 8 apart from the inadequate email client and unnecessary preinstalled apps.

Regards

Adrian

I don't like Windows 8 for aesthetic reasons.

In Windows 8 I see a degradation of the graphic design - flat view of windows, no shadows, no translucency, gaudy color combinations, tasteless design. Primitivism instead of simplicity and beauty.

It's only my personal opinion. I understand that there are other opinions and there are people which quite happy with Windows 8.

I think even MS now realize some of the mistakes they made with 8. Although there's no official date it's expected that 8.1 will launch later this year and it will (possibly - nothing confirmed yet by MS) look and feel a lot more like 7.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also don't recommend Windows 8. Many of my apps do not work well in Win8. It really hurts.

====================

Greetings,

I don't have Win8 yet so I am not sure what you mean. Can you give more details on what you mean by 'apps do not work well...".

Thanks...

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

During my studies of Economic History, I learned all about the 'Chartists' - the people who were dead against the rise of machinery during the industrial revolution in the United Kingdom. Where would we be today if they had been listened to?

Microsoft has huge experience in computer technology and have proved to be very capable producers of operating systems. Windows 8 is in its infancy and will gain in popularity as it develops. Give it a chance (you don't really have a choice) and it will grow on you.

I have it installed in a VMware virtual machine on my iMac and I am already beginning to like it. True, there are a few little niggles e.g. Start Menu, where is the desktop, the 'My Computer' etc. I have written a few short tutorials (pdf) that might help those who want to find their way around the new 'Start Screen' in Windows 8.

Email me if you would like to read them (they are free) and I will send you copies.

They are:

1. Finding the new File Explorer and creating a desktop shortcut.

2. Customising your desktop

3. Adding a shortcut to 'Computer' on your desktop

4. Adding Shortcuts to the new Metro Start Screen

5. Creating Folders & Sub-folders

6. Windows 8 Quick Tips

7. The Quick Access Menu

8. Windows 8 Updates

9. Adding a shortcut to 'Control Panel' on the desktop

Ronnie West