WnSoft Forums

I am just testing the 8.0 beta-versions . Congratulations to the impressive list of new functions and their implementation .

But ... not all PTE-users will make use of the complete range of the offered sophisticated features . There are certainly also users , like me , who are using PTE to assemble simple manually contolled slide-shows to present their slides to some friends in an home environment . Manual control does allow to have free discussions about the slides and the stories behind them of not predefined length .

In this field of application PTE shows in my oppinion weaknesses

- there is no support within PTE for Color profiles for the chosen presentation medium - Monitor , TV , Beamer .

Correct display of colours is therefore impossible (when PTE is the only SW to support the show)

- the support for Audio is optimised with respect to the timeline only .

Features like : Change of an Audio title with the beginning of a certain slide , required controls

eg. volume control independant of the timeline are only achievable with difficulties or not at all .

Therefore my question : should a sophisticated product like PTE not also insist on basic functions for basic users?

Thanks - Paul

Therefore my question : should a sophisticated product like PTE not also insist on basic functions for basic users?

Hi Paul,

I would not regard your proposals as basic. Anyway, it is some time ago (see here) that I made a suggestion about speaker support. Let's hope that a feature of that kind will be implemented, sooner or later.

A remark on color management: At present time you must work out you color management yourself. Open a PTE project, export (copy) it to a new folder. Use XnView (or some other software) for a batch conversion in order to change the color profile of the copied images appropriately (without changing the image names). You obtain an additional version of your project that delivers an executable with a predefined color profile. Again, it would be fine to have a support within the PTE software.

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Paul,

Xaver has commented on the color profile aspects so I will only mention that you have complete control of volume at the time of manual display via the video style navigation bar. On the far right is a volume slider which allows any volume level from zero to whatever you have programmed as maximum.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Xaver ,

thanks for your view . For the Color profiles I use already your suggested XnView-route , which requires some handling outside PTE.

I am talking about Basics as I think that exact colours and a manually contolled slide show with some audio controls are basic requirements from a user which originates from an oldfashioned slide show on the basis of a slide-projector .

Hi Lin ,

thanks for your proposal . The navigation bar is not my favourite presentation element . In fact , I have bought some additional software (VOLCON) which allows volume control (invisible) for my purposes .

Best regards , hopefully somebody will also care for things which are not that 'glittering' . - Paul

<snip>

I am talking about Basics as I think that exact colours and a manually contolled slide show with some audio controls are basic requirements from a user which originates from an oldfashioned slide show on the basis of a slide-projector .

<snip>

- Paul

Hello Paul,

I understand from earlier comments in this forum that PTE expects images with an sRGB color space. If your images are sRGB and properly color-balanced and the show is presented with a computer and (hopefully a DLP) projector also calibrated to sRGB color space the color will be as near 'perfect' as you can get.

I am mildly surprised at your comparison with slides and slide projectors, where there was no opportunity to correct the color at all - the slides are what you get out of the camera and the projector with its incandescent bulb is what it is, take it or leave it. I do not think that old-fashioned slides and projectors have ever produced anything like 'exact color' in any way at all.

Color-balanced images shown through a calibrated set-up are streets ahead of any possible slide/incandescent lamp based presentation. Just speaking from my 60 year's experience in photography.