WnSoft Forums

When I am working on animation in the Objects and Animation screen and need to adjust the speed options for multiple key frames (more than 2). I would select the setting up option that opens the Speed Options window.

In 100% of all the times I can ever recall going into this screen, (a considerable number) it has always been to separate the sections of animation so I can make my adjustments. Never to glue them back.

I doubt I am much different from anyone else, so wouldn't it be a better idea to have the key frames already separated as a default with the glue option as the choice if you want it.

Hi Barry,

I can't be absolutely certain, but I "suspect" the reason for the default being glued is that this is required for linear action which is the default. What actually might" be a viable work-around would be to have a check-box to check all separate here positions with a single keystroke rather than having to attend to each separately. Of course we still would need the option of handling each individually for some special animation creations, but being able to perform the separate here function with a single keystroke rather than multiple mouse clicks might be a huge time saver.

Best regards,

Lin

Barry, I completely agree and I hope you will have more success than I did with this suggestion.

I posted the idea several times in this section but Igor never answered.

As Lin said, I suspect there is a good reason to not change this default... very unfortunately.

And I would be very curious to know exactly why tongue.gif

2007 :

http://www.picturest...h__1#entry41455

2008. :

http://www.picturest...h__1#entry52308

2009 :

http://www.picturest...h__1#entry67730

The Don

It's funny, but as I was typing that first text I had you in mind. I thought if ever there was someone who would like this, it had to be you. I never saw your original post though. I only thought of this today when doing some practical work with PTE 8

Isn't there actually a need for a separate forum, that just caters for ideas that we can suggest to Igor, but where things don't then get lost in pro and con discussions. I am quite happy to make a suggestion and live with what Igor decides, but I wonder sometimes if he can keep up with all this. I can't and I am not trying to produce new software. I think sometimes we must overwhelm him.

Yes, there may be times when someone asks for something that is already there, but surely that would be better than what we do now.

The Don

Who the hell is this guy ?!? ;-)

I don't claim the idea of this suggestion.

Honestly, I really don't mind, I just wanted to point out the fact that the subject is old, still in progress and more complex that it seems

Read Igor's reply (I forgot it) that Jean Cyprien found out for us :

http://www.picturest...dpost__p__83572

We had a long discussion in WnSoft on this question today. I didn't reply yet, but I was thinking on this problem for two weeks.

The problem in fact that we should carefully think how this change will affect to all combination of related parameters.

Also we have plans to add some improvements for this system (curve of path as a spline) in future versions.

Please give me more time to think and discuss this question. I'll reply soon.

Hi Barry,

I can't be absolutely certain, but I "suspect" the reason for the default being glued is that this is required for linear action which is the default ...

I don't think that this is correct. In the linear situation (IMO) PTE always behaves as if all keypoints were separated, even if some of them are glued. So, I also do not understand the present default settings. On the other hand we might not expect too much. As Igor has pointed out here, the O&A interface will be changed, in particular the rather outdated concept of speed options.

Regards,

Xaver

I too would find "all separated" more useful than "all glued" as the default.

However, now that "Preferences" has been implemented, wouldn't this choice be a nice inclusion there? We would then each have our own preferred default.

Ken T (aplman)

A sensible suggestion Ken,

When I first advocated the Preferences a few years ago my vision was that its purpose was to be for just such settings. most software these days allow you to set up each section the way you want it globally.

However, there might be reasons why Seperate and Glue would not be suitable candidates for this feature.

DG

Dave

Surely there are just too many of them, it would fill up the software with options that will frighten most casual users away and make it more daunting. In the vast majority of software the defaults reflect what most people use, that's not always the case with PTE. Preferences then need to be kept to a minimum and that certainly isn't the case with any software. Many preferences just get stupid, like Lightroom. It even has a preference to what decorative squiggle appears on some screens. As if that ever helped any photographer create a better picture.

I expect it's very hard for experienced users/creators of software to keep things simple, but I think its what should be aimed for. Some preferences are good, some just clog up the system and it's a fine line the software developer has to walk I guess

If two people disagree about what the default should be then it is surely a case for Preferences?? Igor and yourself obviously disagree about this.

You might say that Igor should go with the majority, but isn't that then unfair to the people who could also have had their choice if it were a Preferences item??

Your favourite Adobe product has a million items in their version of Preferences most of which were irrelevant to me but were important to others.

Should we not all have the opportunity to set the prog up the way we want it and not be dictated to by the wants of others??

JMHO

Smiley face.

DG

Should we not all have the opportunity to set the prog up the way we want it and not be dictated to by the wants of others

Sure, but PTE is already moving away from one of it's greatest strengths, simplicity and as I have said many times, some of these issues have no right and wrong answer.

It doesn't matter to me how many preferences there are in PTE because I know the software so it's not an issue for me at all, but it can be for the newer user.

Igor has to walk the same impossible line I expect every developer has to. The consumer wants the software packed with tools and options and loves it when their chosen software is described as POWERFUL. However, those same options are what make some software hard to learn.