WnSoft Forums

Video encoding settings

Those days i'm facing a really annoying issue with a theatre 4K projector that cuts the lower part of my video frame. Well, not really, it projects everything but the image falls off screen in the lower part, cutting my subtitles.

I asked the projector man to adjust it so the entire frame will fall on the screen but no way. Looks like i'm not a big fish there.

So i needed to keep the original video resolution but to "compress" the image a bit leaving a black area on the bottom to tweak that annoying projector. No way to get the result from inside the video ancoder of PTE. So i needed to use XMediaRecode to get the result. But this way i lose sharpness because the PTE encoded video is re-encoded again. And a third time to get the final DCP encoding.

The last encoding is not avoidable, and i don't think PTE should deal with DCP format. But what about adding a "tweaks" panel in the video encoder (or the project options?) to being able to size and move the video into a virtual frame? This is difficult to achieve in no time on a lengthy video because you must tweak all slides.

Umberto

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Bruno

I have had similar problems when using videos with different aspect ratios to the main show, my workaround was to stretch or compress them in the O&A window. My screen shots are just a rough example, a compimentary background would blend them in to a more acceptable level.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-98252200-1382815863_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-23904300-1382815882_thumb.jp

1. Try new Crop tool in the Adjust Image and Border floating window.

2. Also you can create a slide style with necessary settings for video (see above) and then apply it to all slides with videos. It will save you time.

I fear this cannot apply to my project. Each slide is composed by several pictures and videos with nested animations. and some pictures are animated in 3D with perspective effects, i think that adjusting the border of each one would not lead to the desired result (and a slide style would not be enough to manage such complexity, i fear). I suppose that your hint will work only with single picture slides?

Anyway, the projection is next tuesday and the video will be loaded into the projector on monday (and, obviously, i knew about this issue only yesterday). Considering that the DCP transcoding takes about 10 hours, i'll go with the triple conversion this time. And hope to avoid DCP projectors in future :)

Umberto

The yesterday projection went well.

Anyway, i'd love to see something in the project options that would let me tweak final output proportions and placement to being able to adapt in no time to a specific projection issue.

My secret dream is the distortion feature available in Wings Platinum. You can distort the final output to match every strangeness of the projection surface. But i'm dreaming :)