WnSoft Forums

Issues with New Mac OS and PTE

tom95521

Hi Lin,

It is interesting that the Mac slideshow has a warning message about unsigned app (Mavericks 10.9). I don't know if Igor can divide the player from the media like he did for Windows 8.

Plays great after you trust the slideshow.

Thanks,

Tom

From the Help Page.

The app is from an unidentified developer

The app you tried to open was not registered with Apple by an identified developer. This doesn't necessarily mean that something's wrong with the app. For example, some apps were written before developer ID registration began. However, the app has not been reviewed. Also, there is no way for OS X to check whether the app has been modified or broken since it was released. A common way to distribute malware is to take an innocent app and insert harmful code into it, and then redistribute the infected app.

The safest approach is to look for a later version of the app from the Mac App Store or check for an alternative from an identified developer.

In addition to apps, other types of files may not be safe. Scripts, web archives, and Java archives have the potential to cause harm to your system. Of course, not all files like this are unsafe, but you should exercise caution when opening any such downloaded file. An alert appears when you first try to open these files.

You can choose to override your security settings and open the app anyway.

• In the Finder, locate the app you want to open. Most apps can be found in the Applications folder.
  • Press the Control-key, then click the app icon.
  • Choose Open from the shortcut menu.
  • Click Open.

Hi Tom,

I believe that this message is due to a security setting on your Mac of which the default can be changed by the user. I have a friend who had the same message which was reported for zipped Mac exe files several months ago. It seems Apple doesn't like anything that doesn't come from an "Apple Store" or "Apple Developer."

Of course it's not an "app" and for certain it doesn't come from a Mac App Store. It may be a legitimate security measure by Apple but it may also serve as a means of frightening Apple owners into not using anything which doesn't provide more revenue stream for Apple. I'm suspicious that it may be the latter especially because of the huge amount of virus, trojans and other malware threats experienced by Apple users NOT. LOL.

Best regards,

Lin

Of course it's not an "app" and for certain it doesn't come from a Mac App Store. It may be a legitimate security measure by Apple but it may also serve as a means of frightening Apple owners into not using anything which doesn't provide more revenue stream for Apple. I'm suspicious that it may be the latter especially because of the huge amount of virus, trojans and other malware threats experienced by Apple users NOT. LOL.

It's definitely an app, just not one that comes from the app store. There is no difference, other than where its downloaded.

Revenue isn't why either. Its security. There are plenty of free apps on the app store, no revenue for anyone.

it would be nice if slide shows could be signed. That would make it easier to distribute them. I get this question a lot, how do i run your slide show.

You have your "opinion" and I have mine.

http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/03/what-is-an-app.html

There is nothing authoritative about that link and it agrees with me anyway.

So I am going to try to explain what an app is.  The word app is a noun, and it’s short for “application.”  Application in this case refers to a software application — in other words, a software program.

The slide shows PTE makes are a software program, an app or application, just like any other app on a Mac or Windows system.

App is the new popular word for what is also called programs or executables. There is no difference.

"App Store" sounds better than "Executable Store".

Final Cut for video editing is an app on apple's app store. Even the latest version of Mac OS is on the app store.

Its not just phone apps or just apple. Microsoft has an app store for windows.

App roundup: 4 great photo apps for Windows

A world of apps in the Windows Store

That's still your "opinion" and I don't share it. My response concerned my demonstration which was absolutely not designed nor output for a mobile device, pad device or any device other than a MacIntosh computer. I agree personally with the Wikipedia definition and explanation below. So you are welcome to your opinion about what the term "app" refers to, and thank you very much, I'll keep my opinion which is quite different......

Terminology[edit]

In information technology, an application is a computer program designed to help people perform an activity. An application thus differs from anoperating system (which runs a computer), a utility (which performs maintenance or general-purpose chores), and a programming tools (with which computer programs are created). Depending on the activity for which it was designed, an application can manipulate text, numbers, graphics, or a combination of these elements. Some application packages offer considerable computing power by focusing on a single task, such as word processing; others, called integrated software, offer somewhat less power but include several applications.[2] User-written software tailors systems to meet the user's specific needs. User-written software includes spreadsheet templates, word processor macros, scientific simulations, graphics and animation scripts. Even email filters are a kind of user software. Users create this software themselves and often overlook how important it is.

The delineation between system software such as operating systems and application software is not exact, however, and is occasionally the object of controversy. For example, one of the key questions in the United States v. Microsoft antitrust trial was whether Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser was part of its Windows operating system or a separable piece of application software. As another example, the GNU/Linux naming controversy is, in part, due to disagreement about the relationship between the Linux kernel and the operating systems built over this kernel. In some types of embedded systems, the application software and the operating system software may be indistinguishable to the user, as in the case of software used to control a VCR, DVD player or microwave oven. The above definitions may exclude some applications that may exist on some computers in large organizations. For an alternative definition of an app: see Application Portfolio Management.

In recent years, the shortened term "app" (coined in 1985[3]) has become particularly popular to refer to applications for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, the shortened form matching their typically smaller scope in relation to applications used by PCs.

Lin

P.S. No matter how you selectively quote the link I gave you earlier, it does not agree with your definition of App. Here's the paragraph you quoted "and" the following paragraph:

So I am going to try to explain what an app is. The word app is a noun, and it’s short for “application.” Application in this case refers to a software application — in other words, a software program.

But an app is not just any old software program — it’s a special type of software program. An app typically refers to software used on a smartphone or mobile device such as the Android, iPhone, BlackBerry or iPad, as in “mobile app” or “iphone app.” But the phrase “Web app” or “online app” is also used in a business setting as an abbreviation for “Web application” or “online application” — meaning software that you access and use while online, via a browser, instead of software residing on your computer (such as Microsoft Word).

That's still your "opinion" and I don't share it. My response concerned my demonstration which was absolutely not designed nor output for a mobile device, pad device or any device other than a MacIntosh computer. I agree personally with the Wikipedia definition and explanation below. So you are welcome to your opinion about what the term "app" refers to, and thank you very much, I'll keep my opinion which is quite different......

Suit yourself. The rest of the world calls them apps, including Microsoft.

Adobe Photoshop Express is an app:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-gb/app/adobe-photoshop-express/c08a0d72-28a1-465a-9e70-6a5b80b44d60

In information technology, an application is a computer program designed to help people perform an activity. An application thus differs from anoperating system (which runs a computer), a utility (which performs maintenance or general-purpose chores), and a programming tools (with which computer programs are created). Depending on the activity for which it was designed, an application can manipulate text, numbers, graphics, or a combination of these elements. Some application packages offer considerable computing power by focusing on a single task, such as word processing; others, called integrated software, offer somewhat less power but include several applications.[2] User-written software tailors systems to meet the user's specific needs. User-written software includes spreadsheet templates, word processor macros, scientific simulations, graphics and animation scripts. Even email filters are a kind of user software. Users create this software themselves and often overlook how important it is.

That says an application, or app for short, is a utility, programming tools, word processing, manipulate graphics (PTE) and more.

The delineation between system software such as operating systems and application software is not exact, however, and is occasionally the object of controversy. For example, one of the key questions in the United States v. Microsoft antitrust trial was whether Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser was part of its Windows operating system or a separable piece of application software.

If the Supreme Court says IE is an app, I'll go with that too.

duno where you get your opinion but its not the links you gave.

App is a new word to describe the same thing as executable or program. Get with the times.

it also has nothing to do with the original topic anyway. You just want another argument.

The problem is PTE slide shows aren't signed and causing headaches for users. That is what matters and it would be fantastic if it can be fixed.

If the Supreme Court says IE is an app, I'll go with that too.

duno where you get your opinion but its not the links you gave.

Of course it is in the links I gave - repeated below for your convenience:

But an app is not just any old software program — it's a special type of software program. An app typically refers to software used on a smartphone or mobile device such as the Android, iPhone, BlackBerry or iPad, as in "mobile app" or "iphone app."

In recent years, the shortened term "app" (coined in 1985[3]) has become particularly popular to refer toapplications for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, the shortened form matching their typically smaller scope in relation to applications used by PCs.

Maybe if you could learn to read more carefully, you might know where I get my opinion ...

App is a new word to describe the same thing as executable or program. Get with the times.

The term was "coined" in 1985 - not exactly a "new word" - 28 years....

it also has nothing to do with the original topic anyway. You just want another argument.

I believe it was you who started the argument....

L

The problem is PTE slide shows aren't signed and causing headaches for users. That is what matters and it would be fantastic if it can be fixed.

Of course it is in the links I gave - repeated below for your convenience:

why dont you tell Microsoft and Apple and Adobe they got it all wrong. Just give them the links to set them straight. LOL.

But an app is not just any old software program — it's a special type of software program. An app typically refers to software used on a smartphone or mobile device such as the Android, iPhone, BlackBerry or iPad, as in "mobile app" or "iphone app."

In recent years, the shortened term "app" (coined in 1985[3]) has become particularly popular to refer toapplications for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, the shortened form matching their typically smaller scope in relation to applications used by PCs.

Maybe if you could learn to read more carefully, you might know where I get my opinion ...

Maybe if you could not be rude.

When I learned to read, I learned that the word typically does not mean always.

App is typically used for phone apps but it is not always used that way, like with Apple and Microsofts app stores.

Today it means an executable program on a phone tablet or computer.

The term was "coined" in 1985 - not exactly a "new word" - 28 years....

I believe it was you who started the argument....

you believe wrong. Im not arguing. I agree with your links.

there weren't smartphones in 1985, so when it was coined it could only have meant one thing, something that runs on a computer.

just goin by what your links said.

Now back to the topic at hand. Hopefully there is a fix for this soon.