WnSoft Forums

Reducing Video Size on a PTE Published Video

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

In my tutorial series, I am using Camtasia to capture the screen. I then produce an MP4 video, which for a 10 minute show at 720p gives a file size of around 40ish MB. Invariably there will be bloopers & out-takes, which can be removed before publishing in Camtasia. However, to make the show as good as I can, I have been stripping the audio in Audacity, cleaning it up and inserting the Camtasia video & the MP3 sound track into a PTE show. To publish on Youtube, the show needs to be in video format of one sort or another. I have tried all the publishing methods in PTE but haven't been able to produce a video of the show below 200MB, & this is without letting PTE optomise the Camtasia video, if I let PTE optomise the resulting video is even larger. Has anyone done this & produced an acceptable 10 minute video below 100mb, if you have, can you please describe which PTE publish format you used & the settings. :)/>

Yachtsman1.

In my tutorial series, I am using Camtasia to capture the screen. I then produce an MP4 video, which for a 10 minute show at 720p gives a file size of around 40ish MB. Invariably there will be bloopers & out-takes, which can be removed before publishing in Camtasia. However, to make the show as good as I can, I have been stripping the audio in Audacity, cleaning it up and inserting the Camtasia video & the MP3 sound track into a PTE show. To publish on Youtube, the show needs to be in video format of one sort or another. I have tried all the publishing methods in PTE but haven't been able to produce a video of the show below 200MB, & this is without letting PTE optomise the Camtasia video, if I let PTE optomise the resulting video is even larger. Has anyone done this & produced an acceptable 10 minute video below 100mb, if you have, can you please describe which PTE publish format you used & the settings. smile.gif/>

Yachtsman1.

=================================

Greetings Eric,

I have been using video clips more and more in my PTE shows. Size always matters. But the only thing that I have found that can really affect the size of the video is the Bit Rate. I will reduce the bit rate and the size will reduce. You have to be a bit careful not to go too far or you will notice quality reduction. Check what your bit rate is of your videos.

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

The bit rate of the video that Camtasia produces is over 500, (screen shot attached), that relates to a file size of 38MB. The last one I added to PTE I used the PTE quality reduction Low & the processed file was 100MB, which was a vast improvement on the first couple. I will give your idea a try, which section of Publish are you using to alter the bit rate?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-01551900-1391529532_thumb.jp

Hi Gary

The bit rate of the video that Camtasia produces is over 500, (screen shot attached), that relates to a file size of 38MB. The last one I added to PTE I used the PTE quality reduction Low & the processed file was 100MB, which was a vast improvement on the first couple. I will give your idea a try, which section of Publish are you using to alter the bit rate?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

=========================

Eric,

First, I use the MediaInfo program to get details of my video and audio files. It's free and very useful. After it is loaded, it says resident in your Windows menu (right click). Gives much more than 'Details'. See attached.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Then to reduce my BitRate, I use another free program called FreeMake Video Converter.

http://www.freemake....ideo_converter/

It is a very easy-to-use video editing program but also you can change the bitrate, along with many other parameters, not to mention converting it to other formats. See attached.

Your 500kbps is already pretty low if it were 'regular' video. Maybe for Camtasia, it is normal. But you can experiment to see what a lower bitrate would look like. It's easy and fast.

Gary

post-1794-0-66480800-1391534060_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-52582200-1391534061_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-24377800-1391534395_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

You can select what quality you want from Camtasia, I have already set it as low as I thought it should go. The picture quality it produces is not as important as a regular video, after all it's only a representation of what your screen is doing. Your comment about my bit rate leads me to think that I probably couldn't reduce it much more. I'm a great believer that if it is working, why mess around. The Exe files from these tutorials are a very reasonable size between 40 & 50MB for an 8 to 10 minute show that is 95% video, it is just a pity this balloons so much by adding a couple of slides & an MP3 track. So thanks for the information, if things deteriorate further I may give them a try.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

40-50MB will get you at least 25 minutes of video with a screen size of 1600*900 and great quality, straight from Camtasia. What you're faffing with all these conversions for is beyond me. You have the Roll Royce of screen capture, use it.

Guest Yachtsman1

40-50MB will get you at least 25 minutes of video with a screen size of 1600*900 and great quality, straight from Camtasia. What you're faffing with all these conversions for is beyond me. You have the Roll Royce of screen capture, use it.

Bolshy as always Barry, & you are talking & saying nothing, maybe my latest projects are upsetting you? If you want to be helpful why not explain exactly what you mean, I'm using a resolution much lower than what you suggest, it's adding the Camtasia produced video into a PTE show then publishing a PTE AVI that is bumping up the file size, suggest you cneck the facts before you sound off, you might make more sense.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-07864300-1391557735_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-23928100-1391557749_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-40526600-1391557770_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-33581100-1391557795_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Did some further checking on this problem, I looked at all the items in the folder containing the tutorial 4 show, by far the largest folder was the one produced by Audacity. I wondered if when PTE produces its video, it includes this folder into the mix :unsure:/> :unsure:/> :unsure:/> If it does, could that be the reason for the video size ballooning :unsure:/> :unsure:/> :unsure:/>

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-44184600-1391587153_thumb.jp

All you require, to produce quality videos is there in Camtasia as I have already said. Trying to make videos with a combination of Camtasia, Audacity and PTE doesn't make any sense. Camtasia was designed and created specifically for what you want to do, PTE wasn't.

Guest Yachtsman1

All you require, to produce quality videos is there in Camtasia as I have already said. Trying to make videos with a combination of Camtasia, Audacity and PTE doesn't make any sense. Camtasia was designed and created specifically for what you want to do, PTE wasn't.

Barry

I appreciate that, but when you aren't using it frequently, you lose the "how to" use all the functions, well I do. However, I have now found a way of producing what I want within Camtasia, the only fly in the ointment is the audio. Audacitie's facility for noise removal & a few other features is needed IMO, so when I can figure how to clean up the audio within Camtasia. I will have another go.

Eric

Yachtsman1.