WnSoft Forums

Poor Quality DVD

tc_leeds

Hi Folks,

I have just burnt a DVD using the default settings in PTE. Unfortunately the quality is really poor. On the TV it is extremely pale and the resolution is also very poor. I am obviously doing something wrong.

The images are all 1920 x 1080 and the created video was 480Mb. The video plays on the PC with the correct colours/brightness but the resolution is poor. What am I doing wrong?

I note there is a new DVD burning feature available but not sure if this is what is needed.

TC

Hi Tony,

You may have a problem, but perhaps not. The 1929x1080 resolution is far greater than what is supported by either NTSC or PAL resolutions. Both these resolutions are less than 800x600 so you will never see anything remotely resembling HD resolution on a DVD. In addition, neither is 16:9 aspect ratio and both are essentially designed for older television receivers. Only BluRay right now, or AVCHD for smaller shows supports HD quality in an optical media. You can create an MP4 h264 video and display it on your HD tv at full resolution via a USB flash device assuming your TV receiver supports this via HDMI.

A little more information would be necessary to be certain what is causing the pale picture, but the resolution on a DVD will never be anywhere close to your mp4 h264 video quality.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Tony,

You may have a problem, but perhaps not. The 1929x1080 resolution is far greater than what is supported by either NTSC or PAL resolutions. Both these resolutions are less than 800x600 so you will never see anything remotely resembling HD resolution on a DVD. In addition, neither is 16:9 aspect ratio and both are essentially designed for older television receivers. Only BluRay right now, or AVCHD for smaller shows supports HD quality in an optical media. You can create an MP4 h264 video and display it on your HD tv at full resolution via a USB flash device assuming your TV receiver supports this via HDMI.

A little more information would be necessary to be certain what is causing the pale picture, but the resolution on a DVD will never be anywhere close to your mp4 h264 video quality.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Many thanks for your reply. In order to get a good quality image I am guessing from your reply I need to create the project using the"Fixed Size Of Image" box checked and come down to 800 x 450 to retain the aspect ratio and improve the quality of the DVD. I don't have a smart TV and the disc is for use by a third party as an educational sequence. I will give it a go and post the results.

All the best

Tony

Tony,

I don't think that is what Lin said?

It is OK to use 1920x1080 images but be aware that when making a DVD they are re-sized to fit 768x576 and then upscaled by the DVD Player to fit your TV screen.

DG

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your reply and for the link. I have watched your demo and would just like to confirm that you seem to be saying every image of the sequence needs to be placed on a black background of 1920 x 1080 as a child. I am assuming each image requires a separate 1920 x 1080 black background image and when the sequence is complete set the "% of the slide to show main images" in the project options /default tab should be set to 90-92% depending on TV. Is this correct?

Tony

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your reply and for the link. I have watched your demo and would just like to confirm that you seem to be saying every image of the sequence needs to be placed on a black background of 1920 x 1080 as a child. I am assuming each image requires a separate 1920 x 1080 black background image and when the sequence is complete set the "% of the slide to show main images" in the project options /default tab should be set to 90-92% depending on TV. Is this correct?

Tony

Hi Tony,

If your AR is 16:9 and you are using 16:9 (1920x1080) images they will fill the screen until you apply "xx% of Slide to show main images".

"The Screen" is your Background which can be any colour you wish. Not a separate image.

BTW on my new TV and BR Player the % turns out to be more like 98%.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

For a 16-9 aspect ratio UK TV when you have sized your slides at 1920 x 1080 pixels, you need to ensure you untick "FIXED SIZE OF SLIDE" in the Screen section of Project Options when burning a DVD with PTE Video builder.

Yachtsman1.

Hi Tony,

"The Screen" is your Background which can be any colour you wish. Not a separate image.

DG

Hi Dave,

I understand that the Black Image sized at 1920 x 1080 is the screen. What I am asking is, do I have a screen/Black Image for every image in the sequence. This can be done quite easily by using "Change Image" and replacing it with the Black Image and in O&A "Add/Image" where the "image" is the one which has been replaced by the Black Image (if that makes sense!) and repeating this for every image in the sequence. If you are saying that the Black Image or Parent is only used once, this means that all the timings for the whole show need to be done by adding all the individual images in the sequence and making them a Child to the one Parent and then using Keyframes for the transitions and timing.

Sorry if I sound a little confused but I want to get this correct as the video will be used as a demonstration for a historical venue.

Thanks agin

Tony

Sorry Tony,

I misunderstood.

Yes, you add the Blank Black Slide (1920x1080) to every slide (copy and Paste) and then add your images and Objects (Text etc) to the Blank Black slide.

The Blank Black Slide is the MAIN IMAGE which is then reduced to 90-97% according to TV. All other Child Objects are reduced to suit.

DG

Hi All,

Cracked it!!! Following my understanding of Dave's demo tutorial I have created a background "Screen" for each image in the show and added the original images as a Child of each of the "Screens". Using the "Change Image File" by right clicking on an image and replacing it with the 1920 x 1080 Black Image (Screen) and then placing the original image as a Child of the Black Image. This process was repeated for each image in the sequence. By doing it this way all the timings were kept and anywhere there were masks or text files these were "Copied" and then pasted to the Black Image and the original text/masks deleted. This ensured that any Keyframes and timing associated with Text and Masks was retained. Once the sequence had been changed in its entirety I went into Project Options/Default Tab and under "% of the slide to show main images" set this to 92% and this has solved the problem.

Re the pale appearance of the sequence, this was down to settings on the TV which have now been altered and all is well.

Thanks to all for your input on this, it is appreciated.

Tony

Hi Dave,must have been typing this when you replied. Once again many thanks for your help.

Tony