WnSoft Forums

Forum Issue with Copy Post URL

davegee

When trying to copy a link to a specific post in a thread I find it impossible to "swipe" the whole url. I click on the post number and the box appears with only part of the whole url visible.

I am only able to highlight what is visible, the rest being lost.

I have tried right clicking and choosing copy bur that just copies the visible url.

Is there a technique involved in being able to copy the whole url?

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

I seem to remember Ken mentioned something similar when the new version of the forum appeared :unsure: I myself sometimes have a similar issue. Try right clicking in a different spot in the URL & make sure the full list of options appears. See screen shot.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-00026000-1396259597_thumb.jp

Hi Dave,

It works correctly for me in Chrome. If I rightly understood your question.

There are 2 ways to copy a link to a certain post. Please look here:

post-1-0-78223700-1396269845_thumb.jpg

Both ways work OK.

If it still doesn't work, please try in another web browser. And let me know what browser you use by default.

Igor,

That's what I am doing but I can only highlight what is visible.

I have found a method that works but it is not "intuitive".

Put cursor in the visible section -

The visible section is highlighted

Use Right Arrow to scroll the link to the right hand side

Put cursor on the extreme end of the link and "swipe" back to "http......"

That works.

DG

Dave,

I just tested in Firefox 28.

1. I open "Share post" window.

2. Click into edit box with a link.

3. Press Ctrl+A

4. Press Ctrl+C or call the popup menu for Copy command.

Now I can paste the link in a text editor or in my reply.

OK - I have F 28.0.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17596-forum-issue-with-copy-post-url/?p=117000

That works - it is the Ctrl+A that is necessary!!

But that is not how it usually works - normally you can swipe from the beginning to the end without having to use Ctrl+A.

Thanks Igor,

DG

DG

Dave,

In Firefox 28 I observe the following:

Sometimes Share Post window appears with a text box where text is already selected. So I can press Ctr+C.

If text is not selected I can "swipe" with mouse cursor to selected the text link and then copy it.

I see slight difference in behaviour of Share Post window between Chrome and Firefox. And we can not do anything with it. Because it's IPB engine.

Igor,

Can I ask you to check:

When the Share Post window appears I can also swipe and copy,

BUT,

I can only copy what I can see - there is another section of the Link "hidden" and the swipe will not access it.

That Is why I asked if you can paste it AND try it to prove that it works.

The complete link for #11 is:

.............picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17596-forum-issue-with-copy-post-url/?p=117002

But I can only see .............picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17596-fo

Unless I use Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C I do not get the whole link?

DG

But if you Left Click on the same position which is, I assume, the correct procedure, are you then able to copy the WHOLE Link and paste it and prove that it works?

Dave,

I think we are looking at a change in forum behaviour since the previous versions of IPB. In order to accomodate all those who like to waste hours using their "social network" software they seem to have moved the previous left-click menu onto the right click, and provided this new "Share" feature on the left click. I will use the right-click from now on because it gives me the "Copy Link Location" that I was used to seeing and using previously.

Yes, I have been able to "drag select" the entire URL from within the "Share" box but I do not find that is a consistent way of selecting all of the URL text. The right click on the post # is, so far, 100% reliable and is the way to go for me.

regards,

Peter

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17596-forum-issue-with-copy-post-url/?p=117002

If the above link works, then there's your answer! It was drag-selected from the "Share" box.

I'm completely OK with the Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C method - I have no gripes with it now that I know.

But in another dimension this would be termed a "workaround" because in two other forums that I participate in the swipe from left to right works - in this forum it doesn't.

I'll drop it because Igor has provided a means of doing it which broadly fits my normal workflow.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

If I left click the topic URL it is all blued out, I then right click the blued out URL & select copy. If I right click the URL it is blued out & the copy box appears. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-72625700-1396295791_thumb.jp

When trying to copy a link to a specific post in a thread I find it impossible to "swipe" the whole url. I click on the post number and the box appears with only part of the whole url visible.

If I left click the topic URL it is all blued out, I then right click the blued out URL & select copy. If I right click the URL it is blued out & the copy box appears. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Eric,

We're not talking about topic URLs. We're talking about the URL for a specific post within a topic. See the first sentence in Dave's original post.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Peter

Sorry about that, I've still got Lady Gaga flashing before my eyes. I see the problem now. Screen shots show what I see, in case someone is wondering what is going on?.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-29475800-1396302629_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-53225400-1396302640_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-23509400-1396302652_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-20678000-1396302669_thumb.jp