WnSoft Forums

Slideshow club upload.

snapcam

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric. Slideshowclub was moved to a newer and faster server. The software that slideshowclub runs on did not change, only the hosting server. What worked before this move did not change. Same software on a new server is all that changed.

Bill

I'm already in conversation with Igor regarding this & I have posted images of what happens when I click on an up-loaded thumb, previously the thumb was re-sized to fit the page, now it balloons outside the page limits.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. I see that you and Igor and in conversation. However I am not sure what you are seeing or how that is possible since the software that slideshowclub runs under did not change. Only the host server.

Guest Yachtsman1

I can only assume that the mechanism that re-sizes thumbnails when uploaded now doesn't. Maybe someone else will come in and report what they see?

Eric
yachtsman1.

BTW I am using Firefox.

Perhaps its worth a tiny little effort to crop a selection from an image at 120px square yourself. The advantage of course is you can pick a section of an image that looks interesting in a small thumbnail. The alternative is allowing software to decide what part of your image is displayed and I would rather make that choice myself.

Guest Yachtsman1

Perhaps its worth a tiny little effort to crop a selection from an image at 120px square yourself. The advantage of course is you can pick a section of an image that looks interesting in a small thumbnail. The alternative is allowing software to decide what part of your image is displayed and I would rather make that choice myself.

Barry

That isn't the point, SSC isn't down sizing the thumbnails that are uploaded, mine are direct from the show usually 1920x1080 pixels, which fill my monitor in PTE, if SSC can't do that, a simple message on the preamble as to what size they should be is all that's needed.

Eric

Yachtsman1

PS when I open the thumb on your "Discarded" show it is the same size more or less as the original.

PS when I open the thumb on your "Discarded" show it is the same size more or less as the original.

Well of course it does. I created the thumbnail at 120px square, so it's not a surprising that it shows up in SSC at 120px square. How can software take a 16:9 image and make it square anyway? It has to crop it and why leave that decision to computer code. Create your own thumbnail and then you can select something bold and interesting to appear on it. Make it to look attractive for your show.

Set your crop parameters to 120px by 120px in your image editor and the job takes seconds. If your a Photoshop user, save the crop parameters as a pre-set and name it SSC thumbnail. Then you have it to use all the time.

Guest Yachtsman1

Well of course it does. I created the thumbnail at 120px square, so it's not a surprising that it shows up in SSC at 120px square. How can software take a 16:9 image and make it square anyway? It has to crop it and why leave that decision to computer code. Create your own thumbnail and then you can select something bold and interesting to appear on it. Make it to look attractive for your show.

Set your crop parameters to 120px by 120px in your image editor and the job takes seconds. If your a Photoshop user, save the crop parameters as a pre-set and name it SSC thumbnail. Then you have it to use all the time.

Doooo

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-45692700-1402987210_thumb.jp

Barry

That isn't the point, SSC isn't down sizing the thumbnails that are uploaded, mine are direct from the show usually 1920x1080 pixels, which fill my monitor in PTE, if SSC can't do that, a simple message on the preamble as to what size they should be is all that's needed.

Eric

Yachtsman1

Eric,

On Beechbrook.com for years (yes years) my PTE Upload Utility clearly stated (and was in bold red text) that thumbnail images should only be 120x80 pixels when shows were uploaded. Did my visitors do that all the time? Absolutely not. I had to edit their images manually to make them fit correctly on the space that was provided on the Download pages. Sure, we could mention what you are suggesting but it won't correct the issue. Members will do as members do - whatever suits them at the time. You have to down size your own thumbnails. Slideshowclub doesn't down size images. The author has to.

Bill :)

Guest Yachtsman1

Bill

I didn't use Beechbrook enough to be familiar with it, so the note about thumb size may have gone un-noticed, however, Beechbrook has gone & we have Slideshow Club.

Because it is new & very different, some people are having difficulty coming to terms with its foibles, even some who I class as PTE experts have stated they wouldn't use it again. This thread was expanded when one of them said he wouldn't use it again & another newer user couldn't, despite a number of tries upload to it. Igor then became involved & sorted the upload to the new server problem & I then said it was back to a working form with the exception of the thumb uploads.

I can't try an experiment again as my upload quota for the month is up, but if the PTE boffins can't spare the time to find the ultimate size of thumb, I will upload a series of sizes for my next up-load, to see which is best for SSC. After all, IMO the thumbs are there to give potential down-loaders a snapshot of the full sized show, not a repeat of what they can already see as BB suggested.

Eric

Yachtsman1.