WnSoft Forums

Images of Ireland

snapcam

I have uploaded a slideshow of images to Slideshow Club that I have taken over the years around Ireland mostly in Northern Ireland.

I greatly admire the work of 'Lakelandlass' on this forum and this was composed a while ago to let her see some of Ireland but I never got around to posting it.

Until now.

I hope you enjoy the images as much as I do.

Snapcam

My parents visited Ireland many years ago. My mother said I would like the topography. I see by your photos that she was correct.

I do feel the images pass too quickly. I think you enjoy the slow dissolve, and it goes with the melancholy of the music, but I feel the images are in transition more than they are displayed, putting more emphasis on

the effect rather than the image. Probably just me, but regardless, very beautiful images.

Jeff

Thanks for the comments I like feedback. :)

The original sequence was re-timed to 3mins21secs approx. to use in a group 321 exercise were a sequence must be 3m21s or less.

The result is the timing noted by Jeff (good point).

I hadn't thought of that perhaps because of my familiarity with the images.

Space bar will pause the image for a longer look.

Never mind the rain Mick it means shots like the last one in the sequence. Great golf courses as well :D

Snapcam

Snapcam

I couldn't help but pick up on your point that the space bar pauses your show for a longer look. I have had this discussion with another distinguished gentleman on this site before. What is the point of that? Isn't that missing the whole point of audio visual. We present our images as a sequence, not as individuals. Anyone who wants to see individual images should go to a web gallery. Why go to all that trouble to create a synchronised sequence for someone to stop it every few seconds? Anyone who tells you that the images need to be on screen longer (sorry Jeff) is missing the AV point.

They can always watch the show again if they missed something. That constant movement and flow you created is what adds the charm and appeal. It's just right in my view.

Hi Barry

Normally I don't allow control of the sequence.

However, after Jeff's comment I looked at the sequence and by chance found I had not disabled the spacebar control.

I do take his point of the changes in some cases being a little quick but as I said that was more to do with the 321 theme.

Regards

Don't you just love rules that cramp your creative style? Who thinks these darn rules up anyway? There is something about photographers that as soon as they gather together, they have this compelling need to dream up rules for the rest of to jump through. :angry::)

Snapcam

I couldn't help but pick up on your point that the space bar pauses your show for a longer look. I have had this discussion with another distinguished gentleman on this site before. What is the point of that? Isn't that missing the whole point of audio visual. We present our images as a sequence, not as individuals. Anyone who wants to see individual images should go to a web gallery. Why go to all that trouble to create a synchronised sequence for someone to stop it every few seconds? Anyone who tells you that the images need to be on screen longer (sorry Jeff) is missing the AV point.

They can always watch the show again if they missed something. That constant movement and flow you created is what adds the charm and appeal. It's just right in my view.

Hi Barry,

Many reasons why we create A/V's:- Tell a story; create a mood or feeling; depict the beauty and charm of a place etc, but also I think many of us use it as a showcase for our photography and in that case why not allow the viewer to choose to go back and study individual photos in more detail, hopefully after they have viewed the show all the way through. They have that option on a DVD player anyway. If the show is for a competition I would totally agree with you.

Mickp

The 321 concept was thought up a number of years ago and came about because it was the length of a standard recorded piece of music ( I think).

So the idea was to see if you could create something no longer than 3m21s. It can be shorter if you wish.

It is a fun thing.

It is popular among A.V.ers were and there are competitions with the theme.

Snapcam

Snapcam,

It was not to do with timing of music but you are on the right lines.

Was it (perhaps) the length of a reel of movie film (8mm)??

The thing is - if your AV is longer than 3m21s and you can't cut it down, don't enter it in a 321 competition - enter it into a different competition :)

All competitions have rules - they are not made up to annoy people - they made to attempt to "level the playing field".

DG

I do remember someone telling me what the origin was of the 321 format but I can't remember. Oh, the passing years! However it can be shorter, the rule is maximum 3m21s

While trawling around sites and topics to see if I could find out I came across a topic in February 2012 on the forum about the same subject when a member was enquiring if his show went over would it be disqualified.

Lo and behold there I found Barry agreeing that on occasion it is necessary to limit the time on a sequence. :rolleyes: He must have been in a mellow mood back then or his heart has hardened again in the time since. Only joking Barry. :D

Snapcam

No need to apologize Barry. I certainly understand the artistic point of a multimedia show having an artist for a wife and having spent my career as a musician. For me the music is the most import thing as that is my passion, so I don't need the spacebar enabled as I never use it. I merely thought the flow got faster near the end and for me it didn't make sense as the music didn't speed up. I had wondered if Snapcam had tried to fit images into a time slot and that is why things got quick, in my opinion, not a knock on the show. Anyway it is merely a point of view and I assumed that is why people post in the forum. I will be careful with comments in the future.

Jeff

Keep them coming Jeff!

I only wish more folk would tap in a comment now and again.

There are shows in SSC with numerous downloads and not one comment. :mellow:

Even if it is only'I liked or disliked it'.

It is through commenting on our shows ( even if we don't accept the comment) that we improve what we produce.

We have the perfect platform here of like minded people i.e. A.V. producers, although with differing views on A.V.

I think we are bound by those who are afraid they will offend and those who take offence too readily.

You are probably right about the pace of the show .It was curtailed to be within 3m21s for a fun exercise in my group.

It suffers from what I tell beginners 'it is sometimes what you leave out rather than what you squeeze in that can make a show'.

Be Happy :D

Snapcam

Snapcam

The reason no-one comments is because some people have got every upset in the past if the comments were not completely favourable. This is our hobby and its just too tiresome to make a comment with the best intentions and get abused for your trouble. The natural reaction of most people will be, why bother. I am about a thick skinned a person as your likely to meet, but even I take that view too.

When asked which of his musical compositions was his favorite, one of my favorite music composers for film, Basil Poledouris, replied, "The last one I composed". He said it was like having a baby and he had brought it into life.

I feel similar when making a show. I guess we all have our hearts tied to our works and having them judged can be rough...but I have found this forum to be about as gentle as you will ever find on the internet. People here are much more likely to act as if you and they are in the same room...not hiding behind their computers. Even with that I find it difficult to post shows that show a very personal side of me. I have several I have never posted because I know I won't be able to be silent if judged harshly. I always have a long gestation period before I post just to make sure I truly want to share. You can be sure that if I am making a comment it is because I actually enjoy the show and just think a tweak here and there might make it better, but it is just one man's view. Shows that I don't get or I think are quite awful I would never comment on. It is the good ones that are fun to talk about.

By the way....back about 7 years ago I posted a preview of a show that I was going to post in-full later. One of the comments was by The Dom. He made some suggestions about the music. My first reaction was I was quite hurt. I know music real well. It took a few days for me to think clearly as his comment needed to gestate in my mind. I reworked the preview taking The Dom's remarks to task which became the opening for my longest show...over 14 minutes. It became the most popular show I ever posted. I am going to re-post it soon as perhaps there are a few new people here who might enjoy it.

Anyway, this is a fun forum and rarely do I see posts that are purposefully hurtful. And I personally only comment on shows that I like. And if I post and let people know on this forum about a show I always hope for a comment of some sort. Whenever I draw a blank I know the show wasn't too good or I missed on the subject matter.

Alrighty... I am writing yet another saga. Keep posting gentlemen.

Jeff

I think we need to realize that there are multiple reasons for shows. Some create them for competitions, some just for friends and family to remember holidays or vacations. Some create shows for a demonstration of software features and some just to see whether it is possible to do certain things which may or may not have any social redeeming value. Some shows are simply historical reminiscences and have no intended artistic implications. Sometimes I like to make a slideshow which visually depicts the message in the lyrics of a song and at other times I choose the background music to complement the slide content. Because of the greatly varied nature of presentations and the wide variety of human cultural experiences in the audience, it's generally not reasonable to expect that everyone would like or appreciate the results. So what is really important is that the results please the intended audience and that audience may sometimes be only one's self...

Regards,

Lin

I agree that AV should be seen as a unit and not in parts, but after that, I do not think it hurt, to see it again, but spending more time on some slides, for its value as still photos.

I you dont like this, Please, start the presentation and cross your arms behind your back and DO NOT TOUCH THE COMPUTER.

MUR

many moons ago one of our existing members was just starting out making shows - we all chipped in to help - thankfully he had manual control enabled and we could be very specific with instructions as to what to change -- typo's etc

some members think when they put a show up to the forum it is the end all -- most times it is not -- this is not the grand finally[Finally means "at the end of a long wait."] but a place to have your hard work critiqued by the ordinary person

personally I very seldom watch shows where I don't have control

ken

some members think when they put a show up to the forum it is the end all

Well, perhaps it is the end for them. Not everyone goes down the local shopping centre at midday and has a slide show posted by 4pm. Some people actually take a lot of time and trouble to get everything just right.

personally I very seldom watch shows where I don't have control

Then you're missing out on some of the best shows posted and that is your loss, because really good ones don't come along that often.

"personally I very seldom watch shows where I don't have control

Then you're missing out on some of the best shows posted and that is your loss, because really good ones don't come along that often."

Barry, I think your making a big assumption that everyone sees the world as you do; they don't. Media engages people in different ways, and I have certainly enjoyed many images and AV show that are very emotionally powerful and or pick up on interesting interpretations and concepts that lie outside the constraints of pin sharp, ultra high quality camera club competition winning images.

I have seen quite a number of AV shows that fit your 'really good' criteria, that to me are just decorative; while they are pretty and colourful, they don't really say anything.