WnSoft Forums

Publish data only slideshows

Please add new option to publish the data file for slideshows. This should prevent most false positives for viruses when shared over the internet.

Also a stand alone PTE viewer app that can be installed on the PC and file extension configured to play .ptshow data files when opened. The viewer app can read slideshow version information and prompt to upgrade viewer if the slideshow was created in a newer version of PTE.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Can you not just remove the exe file from the zip when sharing?

Yes.

It seems to me though that it would lead to even more confusion over versions etc.

*IF* the PTE player application is backwards compatible (version 8.5 player can play version 8 slideshows) then it's just like Adobe Acrobat Reader. It would prompt you to install a new version of the player if the .ptshow file was created in a newer version of PTE.

What about the sharing of shows with those who do not have PTE?

The free PTE player would need to be installed on the PC. If the .ptshow extension was registered with Microsoft it should prompt the user to install the software.

DG

I don't know how hard this would be to implement. How often is the PTE player engine updated? Every minor version of PTE?

Only Igor and his programmers know if this is a reasonable solution. Unfortunately any downloaded file (not created by the PC) that contains executable code is sometimes considered dangerous by malware/AV scanners.

Most media formats (image/audio/video) do not contain executable code. The player is installed separately from the media. I think this is the safest method to distribute multimedia. The "Safe Executable File for Internet" is good, but a separately installed player would be even better.

This would not replace existing publish options.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Lin,

I don't think so. The PTE viewer would be almost the same as we are currently using, It could launch other slideshows. If you have PowerPoint viewer installed and you double click a .pps file it plays the slideshow.

Tum

Tom,

I like the idea.

The ability to publish and distribute just the data file is a great way to help prevent the issues related with EXE. Firstly though we need Igor to produce the standalone player.

I recently have done some mock-up tests and the current player appears to be backward compatible with older generation data files. However, there needs some reworking to address data shows using Run Slideshow commands of different generations. But as a single data file of any generation ... it plays back just fine.

. I also see many other possiblities here when it comes to player GUI functions and features.

Hi Stu,

I think it would be easy to create a PTE player that would open .ptshow files when you double click on them (player name with different .ptshow name).

It might require some metadata added to the .ptshow file so there is created version information (if not already in the file). The auto update of the player (or at least download new version) would require additional code.

Thanks,

Tom

• 1 month later...

More info about executable files and how hackers are testing their malware to make sure it is not flagged as a virus before launch.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/02/google-virustotal-used-to-test-hacks/

Tom

Tom,

I like this idea and I thought about slideshow player many times. I think that the most likely we'll do this.

You're right it good solution regarding problem with antiviruses.

My only concern that we offer to many output options to users: single EXE, safe EXE, player.

Of course, single EXE always will be offered.

Actually, I don't believe it would "hurt" PTE at all to have this feature. The competition has a plethora of "input formats" of which many (most?) are absolutely obsolete or never used by anyone and it's just more marketing fodder for them. Having additional output formats including BluRay would be a big plus for PTE advertising and having a viable "player" would actually be a very useful one.

Best regards,

Lin

Actually, I don't believe it would "hurt" PTE at all to have this feature. The competition has a plethora of "input formats" of which many (most?) are absolutely obsolete or never used by anyone and it's just more marketing fodder for them. Having additional output formats including BluRay would be a big plus for PTE advertising and having a viable "player" would actually be a very useful one.

Best regards,

Lin

+1

DG

Tom,

I like this idea and I thought about slideshow player many times. I think that the most likely we'll do this.

You're right it good solution regarding problem with antiviruses.

My only concern that we offer to many output options to users: single EXE, safe EXE, player.

Of course, single EXE always will be offered.

Hi Igor,

Thank you very much for considering this new publish option (and standalone player). :)

Tom

Igor

Would that mean that the player would be included with the data only files as a part of the publish option?

and/or

Would the player be a download and install separately?

Hi Barry,

Until Igor has time to respond here are my thoughts on player distribution.

The way I thought it might work is to have the PTE player downloaded separate from the slideshow. The player could be downloaded only from wnsoft.com or maybe slideshowclub.com to verify player integrity. The player might be a portable app or maybe an installed app just like any other Windows applications.

I can imagine in the future how it might have other advantages to separate the data from the player*. Imagine the PTE player ported to the Android operating system. You could download .ptshows created on a Windows PC and view them on mobile devices with smaller file sizes, interactivity, and higher quality images compared to video slideshows. Maybe even a browser extension that plays slideshows full screen without exiting the browser. Just a couple of examples of what might be possible.

*Added 9/13/2014 - it also may allow > 2 GB slideshows using 32 bit player.

Tom

• 6 years later...

Old posting revisted. I thought I should also add that storage requirements on slideshowclub.com would be less due to a single .ptshow file instead of both .zip and .ptshow. The player could be an optional part of the .ptshow download for those few users without the player installed.

Thanks,
Tom