WnSoft Forums

How to run PTE exe's on a Mac

Almark

For Mac users that want to run the odd Windows program, without having to install 'VM Fusion' or 'Parallels' (and then install Windows), there is a potential solution with a free mac app called Winebottler.
I had an old Windows exe file, a slideshow created with 'Pictures To Exe' (PTE). I didn't have the original PTE file and therefore was never able to create a Mac version. In order to view the slideshow I had to start up VM Fusion and Windows, on my Mac.
With Winebottler I was able to create a Mac app version. The original Windows exe was 26MB, the Mac app version is 110MB, but it works!

Thanks, Mark,

There is also unofficial trick to run "Safe executable shows for PC" on Mac:

1. Create a new short test show for Mac (*.app folder)

2. Delete slideshow.dat file from *.app folder.

3. Rename Yourshow.ptshow file (from PC show) to slideshow.dat

4. Copy slideshow.dat file to .app folder (YourMacShow.app\Contents\Resources\slideshow.dat).

5. Run YourMacShow on Mac.

It will work fine if both shows (safe executable file for PC and Mac show) are created in one version of PicturesToExe.

This trick valid for PicturesToExe shows 6.0+

P.S. I didn't test, but probably you can even rename PC .exe files to slideshow.dat to run on Mac as described above.

Hi,

I've just read your post and am fascinated.

I want to try/purchase the product - it looks exactly like what I've been looking for having used various packages in the past.
I use a tower Mac with Parallels & Windows 7 so I downloaded & installed the software this morning but the program won't launch with the warning:
"requires hardware acceleration of the video card. Install Directx9 or higher."

I have run other PC only programs (like Photodex) and routinely run all the latest (Mac) Adobe Creative Suite packages inc After Effects etc. no problems at all.

I emailed WnSoft , who had no experience with this particular problem, but it sounds like you have the workaround.

Have you heard of this error message before? Any other suggestions?

thanks!
David.

I use a MacBook Pro with parallels/win7 and it works.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled?

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22986.htm

What happens when you run dxdiag?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/run-directx-diagnostic-tool

Tom

Thanks for this Mark.

I have installed the app and discovered that by using the included app 'Wine' rather than 'Winebottler' any PC version of a PTE slideshow can be run immediately without being compiled into a Mac app. thus saving precious time and disc space. It is Brilliant, I've been able to catch up on all those PC only versions in slideshows club with out rebooting in to Windows.

Alan

Hi Alan,

How is the performance of the converted Windows slideshow compared to a native Mac slideshow?

If you convert a .exe into Mac format does the file size grow by a large amount?

Wine must support DirectX version 9 which is good news.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Alan,

How is the performance of the converted Windows slideshow compared to a native Mac slideshow?

If you convert a .exe into Mac format does the file size grow by a large amount?

Wine must support DirectX version 9 which is good news.

Thanks,

Tom

I did not convert the files I just ran them so there was no file change. They appear to perform just as expected by the authors. I will try a comparison where some shows are uploaded to slideshow club as both PC and Mac and report back later.

Alan

I did not convert the files I just ran them so there was no file change. They appear to perform just as expected by the authors. I will try a comparison where some shows are uploaded to slideshow club as both PC and Mac and report back later.

Alan

I have now tried comparison runs and can find no difference in performance between the PC version run with 'Wine' and the Mac version uploaded by the author.

Alan