WnSoft Forums

Printing list of file names

Randlov

Is there a way to print a list of slides (filenames) in the order they appear in the slide list.

Preferably in a text file with Number, Filename, Slide duration and a comment field for further editing in a text editor or spreadsheet resulting in a manuscript, which can be used during a slide show presentation.

Thanks

Peter Randlov

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Andrew. Works as expected, although I'm always hesitant about running macros in downloaded files in Excel.

Peter,

You might also be interested in this utility which was written many versions back by one of our members, Stu Rands. Haven't seen him around here lately, so I will take the liberty of attaching the file here. After unzipping it, read the instructions. Basically, you just have to pick a .pte file and it will also create a report for you. It probably misses some of the newest features of Pictures to Exe, but the slidelist and accompanying report seems fine. One of the nice things about it is that you can generate either a straight text file listing or a nicely formatted html file including snapshots of your images, which I find really helpful. The utility used to be listed on the old "Beechbrook" download site, but I wasn't able to find anything in the archive now contained on Slideshowclub since there doesn't seem to be a search facility. Anyway, here's the file and Stu, if you're still hanging around here, thanks again for creating the utility (and I hope you don't mind me uploading it here)!

Reporter v2.zip

I had a quick look at Reporter and it does seem very comprehensive and the html view of slide thumbnails is interesting. However I don't think it calculates the duration of individual slides which is what Peter wanted nor does it produce a simple report. It managed to open a v8.01 pte file, although with a warning and some missing information.

Incidentally I'm not sure whether running macros in Excel is any less hazardous than opening exe files which we do whenever we run a downloaded PTE sequence or Reporter for that matter!

• 1 month later...

Thank you Shirley and mhwarner.

The VBA routine PTE info.zip from Andrew does exactly what I need. The routine extracts a file list from a pte project, and the Excel spread sheet makes it easy to finalize the manuscript for a 3D lecture, and it is easy to make minor adjustments if few slides are moved in the Pte file.

Reporter looks interesting and Works with Pte 8, but it does not make a file list which can be used for a manuscript.

Print Print Maestro has many functions which I miss in Windows Pathfinder, but it does not extract a file list from a Pte project.

Anyway, my problem has been solved, thanks to everybody for much inspiration.

Best regards from cold Denmark

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea a utility that is missing in Pte: the print from the program ALL objects, time in out, fade in out, music etc of any project as ultimate storyboard. A useful to be “investigate” without need or see each time the executable and / or preview. We we asked for some time, for professional use. But “Nemo propheta in patria” or No man is a prophet in his own country, exactly like Pte devoted people.

Da Campos

• 4 years later...

Greetings,

I gave the 'PTE Info' a try. Some worked, others not. For example, I have two versions of the same show, only changed the background music, and removed some images for the most part. For those that it does not work, I get the following error. Both versions of the show have a blank slide as Slide 1, if that matters:

image.png.7760b269f2b359748c9e7c345ecf691f.png

Any idea what it could be?

Gary

2 hours ago, Cedric Dawnhawk said:

Sorry you are having problems. If you could you send me one of the project files that don't work, I should be able to tell you the cause and possibly sort it out.

Regards
Andrew

Greetings,

Thanks. I've attached a PTE file that give the error.

Gary

France Trip 2004-2.pte

PTE info looks for the text [slide1], [slide2] etc in the project file etc to find information about each slide. Prior to version 9 this was written [slide1] in lower case. In version 9 it appeared from my trials that "slide" was now capitalised ie [Slide1] etc so I modified PTE Info to look for this in version 9 projects. However it appears that this is not consistent, and in your project both capitalised and uncapitalised versions appear.

I have modified PTE Info so it does not bother about text case and it extracts the information from your project successfully. The only issue is Slide 8 which it indicates as a blank slide. The information for this slide is in a strange order and so the name of the image is not picked up. As stated in the instructions PTE Info is not guaranteed to work with slides with numerous objects. It would take a lot more effort to do this.

The revised version can be downloaded below. Let me know how you get on with it.

PTE Info_1_3.zip

Greetings Cedric,

Super!!! I tested both versions of my show and it worked just fine. But I looked at Slide 8 and it is not blank. In fact, Slide 8 and Slide 9 are the same image of a map (Slide 9 does a zoom). Besides that, all looked good.

Thanks.. Gary

As it says in the instructions, "Blank slide" is intended to mean a true blank slide or one that is too complex for PTE Info to sort out. I agree it could be worded better.

I can see from the project file that both slides 8 and 9 use 0005.jpg. Unfortunately the information for Slide 8 seems to be arranged in an unusual way so PTE Info doesn't find the image name. I thinks this is a one-off "corruption", although PTE is able to deal with it.

Andrew

• 5 months later...

I originally used Excel and VBA as I was familiar with both and the result suited the member who made the original request. I appreciate that not everyone has or wants Excel.

I'll have a look at creating a standalone version that maybe creates a text file or a csv file for import into LibreOffice. No promises as to how long it might take though!

Andrew

An easy way to get a list of which files are used in a project is to make a Template.

Open this in Windows explorer and you can sort it how you want. I know it isn't a printed list but at least you can quickly see all the files used.

Jill