WnSoft Forums

Custom transition - Invalid floating point operation [SOLVED]

tom95521

Starting to play with custom transitions again but ran into a problem with Invalid floating point operation. Not sure why it doesn't like my transition. Maybe I can only use 2 slides/images on transition? PTE Deluxe 8.0.12.

Thanks,

Tom

post-2058-0-31007400-1425778138_thumb.pn

ViewMaster1.zip

Tom,

It works OK for me also.

Possible things to try:

When assembling Custom Transitions I always leave the original Slide 1 and Slide 2 at the bottom of the stack and remove all animation as well as setting their opacity to zero.

I then use copies to produce the new CT.

The other thing that I notice is that your CT finishes half way through the 2 second CT.

I think it might be better to construct it as a 1 second CT and then have Key Frames at zero and 1 second (beginning and end) for both Slide 1 and Slide 2.

You might also consider setting "Use background from slide" and "Transparent background of slides" to cater for images which do not fill the screen.

Is this a MAC/Parallels issue with PTE??

Nice CT.

DG

P.S. You don't have to Zip ptef files to post them on the forum.

Hi Chris,DG,

I tried it on my Lenovo ideapad i7 laptop running PTE 8.0.10 and it still has the problem. The only thing my 2 computers have in common are Windows 8.1. The Lenovo did not display Invalid Floating Point error message until after I unchecked the Basic, Dissolve transition. I am hoping to create variations of the transition but I need it to run on Windows 8.1 first. :(

It's not only this custom transition, but other custom transitions not created by me I have tried to load cause the error message. Not sure why.

Thanks,

Tom

Decided to order a Dell XPS8700 on sale. My current Dell XPS8700 has been running 24/7 for > 1 year with no problems. The good news is that it ships with Windows 7 Pro so I should be able to create custom transitions. Maybe someone can verify that Windows 8.1 does not like custom transitions.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100155381.html

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

I have taken the liberty of editing your CT in line with my suggestions above.

ViewMaster2.ptef

When you apply it you can set the Transition Time to 0.5 to 1 second as required.

Try it with images which are less than 100% of screen size (with shadow) and use a neutral or graduated BG.

It also works where there is Animation ("overlapping" zoom etc) during the Transition.

DG

It seems to be related to using only custom transitions (use no regular transitions) and Windows 8.1. If you continue past floating point error and try to preview then there is an EAccessViolation in module PteViewer5.exe.

Thanks,

Tom

In Tom's project I open the Project Options, go to the Transitions tab, I un-tick Basic Transition, I click OK. The invalid floating point operation is indicated. I use PTE 8.0.12 on Windows 8.1 (fully updated).

Regards,

jt

post-9813-0-55993600-1426092212_thumb.jp

Decided to order a Dell XPS8700 on sale. My current Dell XPS8700 has been running 24/7 for > 1 year with no problems. The good news is that it ships with Windows 7 Pro so I should be able to create custom transitions. Maybe someone can verify that Windows 8.1 does not like custom transitions.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100155381.html

Thanks,

Tom

Greetings Tom,

I really don't want to start a 'war' here about Windows 7 vs 8. But I am just curious why you would not want the most recent version of Window (8). And now that Igor has fixed the custom transition problem. I think I heard that if you have Windows 8, the yet-to-be-released Windows 10 will be free. Just curious. I did like Windows 7, but I have been able to make my Windows 8 look and act almost exactly like Windows 7. Yea, they moved things around, but once I found them, no problems. Really, just curious. I had Windows 7 Pro and I updated it to Windows 8.1. It went smoothly.

Gary

Hi Igor,

Yes. On my Lenovo ideapad laptop version 8.0.13 fixes the custom transition problem for Windows 8.1. I will test further this weekend on my other Windows 8.1 computers.

Hi Gary,

I can upgrade at a very low cost to Windows 8.1 on my new Dell 8700. I might do that but I will make a Windows 7 clone of the hard drive first. I was happy with Windows XP for many years. I also use Linux often at work. Probably 40% Windows, 40% Linux, and 20% Macs.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Gary,

I can upgrade at a very low cost to Windows 8.1 on my new Dell 8700. I might do that but I will make a Windows 7 clone of the hard drive first. I was happy with Windows XP for many years. I also use Linux often at work. Probably 40% Windows, 40% Linux, and 20% Macs.

Thanks,

Tom

Greetings Tom,

That is basically what I did. I did an image backed of my Win7 drive, just in case. Updated to Win8.0; then 8.1. I got all the programs to function.

Good luck with your process.

Gary

A couple of observations of 8.0.13. Tested on three different Windows 8.1 computers and no more floating point error message.

During install the default is to accept the license agreement. I think most software that I install defaults to not accept and you have to check the accept box before you can continue. Not a problem but I thought I should mention it.

In custom transitions there is an option to add video objects. I was trying to add a sound effect by adding a video object and set opacity 0%. I can hear the sound in the custom transition editor but not outside editor. Is audio allowed in custom transitions?

Thanks,

Tom

ViewMaster3.zip

Tom,

My guess is that, because all elements of a Custom Transition (CT) have to be proportionally changed (time-wise), the audio is not used in the saved CT. We have already seen that when the duration of a video added to a slide is increased or decreased the audio is "lost". You probably need a higher degree of sophistication of video/audio editing than PTE is capable of to be able to compress or expand the audio of a video in real time in an exe.

Just a guess.

DG