WnSoft Forums

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I made this show last year, it seems appropriate as it's the 100th anniversary of Gallipoli day to re-show it. I have tried to convert it to a video for up-load to YouTube, but the gremlins are at work so as of now I haven't been able to. So it's an exe on Dropbox.

The show is based on a Mike Harding song, runs for around 6 minutes 88mb download, all images from the internet.

Yachtsman1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1thd3dxgczjifjc/The%20Band%20Played%20Waltzing%20Matilda..zip?dl=0

post-5560-0-66908500-1429958510_thumb.jp

After closing down the re-named show & opening it again, I managed to include the sound. So if you don't want to download the exe, you can stream it on Youtube but won't see it at its best.

A very big day here in New Zealand also, our soldiers were the ' NZ' in ' ANZAC' , who fought and died alongside the Aussies and other nations, including the UK.

To this day, the word ANZAC unites Australian and New Zealand peoples in a unique and lasting bond, forged at Gallipoli, between the two countries.

Thanks for the show Eric, (though I did hope it would show our NZ participation as well)

Regards,

Colin

Guest Yachtsman1

A very big day here in New Zealand also, our soldiers were the ' NZ' in ' ANZAC' , who fought and died alongside the Aussies and other nations, including the UK.

To this day, the word ANZAC unites Australian and New Zealand peoples in a unique and lasting bond, forged at Gallipoli, between the two countries.

Thanks for the show Eric, (though I did hope it would show our NZ participation as well)

Regards,

Colin

Hi Colin

I knew about the NZ connection with Gallipoli, but I couldn't differentiate between the NZ & A images I found on the net, but I tried to follow the words in the song. Suffice to say, there was no reference to the UK either in the show, who I believe suffered the greatest loss of life. Maybe the Churchill connection toned down the British historical record. I've learned more about the events in the last few days than I knew when I made the show. "Lest we forget"

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/interactive/gallipoli-casualties-country

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Yes, I know the UK lost more men than we did, But I believe the men lost per capita from our then population was the highest of any participating country, though I can't quote the figures.

The perception from our antipodean point of view was that Churchill's idea of taking Turkey by the back door so to speak, and getting at Germany that way was very ill-founded, and cost much in the way of navy ships and lives as well as infantry, compounded by some British Generals who were still in the eighteenth century's tactics, throwing men at the problem ad infinitum, like the General in charge at Gallipoli who requested another 95,000 men asap - whom he didn't get. The British conception of the ANZAC forces as cannon fodder to soften up the enemy before sending the elite British forces in did not go down well over here, and as subsequent battles proved in both wars, the ANZACS were some of the best fighting men that Britain had at their command, in addition to our pilots that the RAF had at their command, right up to Sir Keith Parke, a New Zealander who ran the fighter command that defeated the Luftwaffe. Sadly, today, our citizens are regarded as aliens by the Brit government, while erstwhile enemies have free access to the UK - probably enforced by Brussels, I guess.

Regards,

Colin