WnSoft Forums

(SOLVED) - user error - An interesting Problem With Export Styles...

Lin Evans

I've created some simple styles and want to export them. I right click on them in Styles Tools but they don't appear as they should so that I can assign a place to export them to. Styles which won't work in the export function simply return the menu to the same condition as before the right click while styles which will export give me the new menu choice.

The really interesting thing is that it's not "all" of them which don't work, only some of them. Some I can export just fine but others do not work. What's more interesting is that I can "use" these styles which I can't export and create a show with them.

When I do an extensive Windows search for *.ptestyle searching each and every drive attached to my computer, these styles are not found. It's as if they are only being held in temporary memory while PicturesToExe is open but not written to any storage device.

I'm scratching my head big time on this. My Windows search facility is set to display both system, hidden and normal files.

Lin

Hi Dave,

I can't do anything at all with them except "use" them. I recreated one exactly on another system and it works perfectly and exports as it should. It's obviously a Windows/System issue. Perhaps a clue to the problem is that I also have two "User styles" folders. Both have workable styles in them but some of the styles simply will not export nor can they be found on any drive.

More interesting info - Sometimes I open PTE and I have these styles available - other times I open it and they are not in the User styles folder... Guess I'll uninstall completely and reinstall on this system - some sort of really nutty system issue...

http://www.lin-evans.org/rain/send.jpg

Lin

I can only think that the style might contain a "forbidden" object - but then why would it work on your system?

If you send a Template of the Style you are creating to Dropbox, I will try to create and export a style from it.

DG

Hi Dave,

I've already created and exported a style from it on another computer (win 8.1) and it works fine. It's just on this system and it's not all the time. Sometimes there are styles in the Users Styles folder and sometimes not when I open PTE. It has to be a Windows issue or a hardware issue of some sort because everything works correctly on the Win 8.1 system with the identical files and procedures. I suspect it's one of those things where no answer will ever be found. There are no "forbidden" objects - but I did discover today that PTE will not allow a 1920x1080 or even a 1280x720 animated gif. It plays them in the mini-player but just gives a black screen on the preview. I sent a file to Igor but he's traveling today and will look at it on Monday. In order to use the animated gif I had to go down to 960x540 to maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio for the style. It's not a big deal but it is interesting that the larger gifs play on other software but something is causing an issue on PTE. It's unrelated to the current problem because I'm using a 960x540 which works fine...

L

Hi Denis,

Could be - but they worked fine with IrfanView and other software (Kantaris Media Player) but not with PTE. I doubt it's the graphics card because both of my cards are pretty powerful - One is an nVidia GTX 750 with two gigabytes RAM and the other a GTX 760 (192 bit) with four gigabytes RAM. The particular gif has 30 frames per second... The seconds system is Win 8.1 and running 32 gigabytes of system ram with a fairly powerful i7 processor.

I'll have to vary the frame rate and try it again to see if that has an effect. Thanks for letting me know that you were able to run a 1280x720 without problems. Maybe Igor can shed some light tomorrow...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Please tell me - do I understand rightly:

1. Sometimes you see those certain styles but you can't export them?

2. Sometimes you can't see those certain styles?

3. Sometimes you see those certain styles and you can export them. Everything works OK?

Please can you send me the folder with your user styles in a ZIP archive?

This folder contains sub-folders like this {0D34BAFA-B657-43A4-AE30-C2FF60A79F75} and userstyles.ini file.

What antivirus software is installed on your computer? Can you try to turn it off temporarily? Probably antivirus blocks the access to a folder with a certain style. If you have Microsoft Security Essentials, please skip this suggestion. Microsoft's antivirus works correctly.

P.S. I just published v8.0.15 which removes mistaken "User styles" category. But this version shouldn't affect to the problem which you've described above.

Hi Igor,

Inside one of the two "User styles" folders there are multiple styles. Some of the styles can be exported while other can't be exported.

Sometimes I can't see the styles which can't be exported but it "never" works O.K. The styles which can't be exported are always the same ones and they are ones which I have created, not ones which I have downloaded and installed. Styles which I have imported can always be exported. Styles I have created can't and also when I use the PTE "create backup in zip" only the main image appears inside the zip file with the PTE file. None of the components of the style which are located in the sub-folders and ini file appear in the PTE created zip backup archive.

I only have Microsoft's Security Essentials running actively. I also have the freeware version of Malwarebytes but it is "only" active when I run it manually so I don't think there is a problem with it.

I will try version 8.0.15 but if it removes one of the User styles categories, it will likely also remove the styles unless it transfers styles from one to the other folder???

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Thanks for the details!

Version 8.0.15 only removes wrong "User styles" folder which is placed in other location (Program Files).

Build-in slide styles and user styles are located in different folders.

Try to install this update to see will it cure that problem.

If the problem still here, please send me all users styles in ZIP folder, if it possible. Or you can send me only selected folders with styles, I'll explain in the next message.

Hi Igor,

I just installed 8.0.15 but still have two User styles folders....

I'll try to send user styles, but I don't know if that is possible because I can't export them. I can "use them" to create an exe file but they will not export nor can I actually "find" them using Windows search which I have set to reveal system and hidden folders.

I will create an AVI file to show you what is actually happening...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

It's strange, I now tried to install again v8.0.14 and I see two "User styles" categories. Then I installed the new v8.0.15 and now I have only one "User styles" - as I expected.

Regarding the main problem. Please open the Preferences window -> Templates tab. In "Custom slide styles" you'll see a location of the folder with all your user styles. Please pack this folder to ZIP archive and send me.

Hi Igor,

Perhaps the reason you don't see two folders is that there was nothing in one of them. I just deleted the one style which was in one of the User styles folders and the folder disappeared and didn't return when I exited PTE and reopened. So consider the first problem solved as long as there are no styles saved into the extra folder.

The problem remains with the "can't export" some styles - I'm in the process of sending you the packed zip archive link now - check you email..

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I think that I found the reason of this problem.

Windows XP can't show Save/Open dialog window if a filename contains prohibited symbols:

\ / ? * " < > |

Windows 7, 8 can show Save/Open dialog window, but then will show a warning.

When you export a slide style, PicturesToExe uses its name for the filename.

If a style has name "My Style 16:9" - it can't be exported. If it has a name "My Style 16 9" it can be exported without problem.

We'll fix this issue in the following update (8.0.16). PicturesToExe will replace these symbols to show Save dialog window correctly.

P.S. Save project, Create EXE file always work correctly. But Create backup in ZIP doesnt' work under Windows XP if your project name contains those prohibited symbols.

Thanks Igor - it's easy enough to rename so that will solve lots of issues!! Thanks for sorting this out... Just renamed and everything working PERFECTLY --- Thanks again !!!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Igor,

Yes, that worked very well. I created a style with an "illegal" name and when I tried to export PTE renamed it using legal characters (underscore) and it was successful... Now if we could just fix the problem with PTE not copying the components of a style when doing a "create backup in zip" I think everything would be great!!

Best regards,

Lin