WnSoft Forums

General Disc problem

jdearman

This post does not concern PTE specifically and if I am out of order,please disregard and accept my apology for wasting your time. It is, however, related to my being unable to burn a copy of a slide show created with PTE. I recently created a show of a river boat trip that my wife and I took. PTE worked correctly as it always does as I was able to burn a disc, which plays, as expect, in my DVD player to my TV. However, when I burned a copy of the PTE created disc ,using NERO 2015, my DVD player will not recognize and play the disc.

My question, has anyone had this same basic problem?

What I do know is that a PTE created disc copied with NERO 2015 will not "talk to my TV" through my present DVD player. I suspect a format problem, either with the new version of Nero 2015 and PTE or maybe my DVD player needs a software update to be compatable with NERO 2015.. Before I go out and purchase a newer DVD player or purchase new disc copy software, I am hoping one of you more experienced folks might have some ideas that would help me.

Jim Dearman

Hey Yacht,

I guess I should have made that clearer in my initial post. I burned a disc with PTE, which works fine. My specific problem is related to my not being able to make a copy of the PTE disc using NERO 2015 software. All attempts to make a copy of the good PTE disc with NERO 2015 produce a disc that will not play thru the same DVD player

Jim

I would say that's clearly a problem with Nero. Some setting within Nero that perhaps changes the format to something incompatible with your player. Can your computer play the Nero disc, and can you run a diagnostic program that will tell you what the encoding is, compared with the original PTE disc?

• 1 month later...

I am having a similar problem. I used PTE deluxe program to produce a DVD from a short sequence I have made and it plays well on DVD to TV. The disc doesn't now play on the PC I used to make it, nor will any other DVDs although it is possible to transfer jpegs to a CD. I have explored several possibilities and even tried making another DVD with the same sequence without success. I am just wondering whether clicking on the icon for Windows 10 has had anything to do with this as I have read they are not going to include DVD players in the Operation System as has been done in Windows 7. Has anyone else found the same has happened to their Windows 7 machine? What program is recommended to re-establish the DVD to work? I have tried Cyberlink Director 15 without success and I have Nero already on the PC. I am using PTE 8.0 .17.

I have had good success using a disc-burning program called Imgburn, free from http://www.imgburn.com/ and from the website is the following:

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!

It has several 'Modes', each one for performing a different task:
Read - Read a disc to an image file
Build - Create an image file from files on your computer or network - or you can write the files directly to a disc
Write - Write an image file to a disc
Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct
Discovery - Put your drive / media to the test! Used in combination with DVDInfoPro, you can check the quality of the burns your drive is producing

It does not have any foibles like changing formats etc, it just produces exact copies of your master disc.

Good luck,

Colin

Colin, I downloaded ImgBurn and have successfully made another copy of the sequence using PTE Deluxe and ImgBurn. So I am very grateful to you for practically solving this problem. As an aside the original DVD in the PC still only plays and re-records CDs not DVDs so I did two things - 1. got some different recordable DVDs which did not alter the problem and also bought via Amazon an External USB 2.0 Slim DVD CD R/RW Drive Burner Writer for £15.95 which is what I have used to burn the new disk. I have a PC and a laptop. With the PC I could not play parts of Barry Beckham's PTE 8 disk "What's New in 8" in the external drive, but by using ImgBurn to convert a file this was possible. In the Laptop with the external DVD attached I was able to play any part of Barry's disk. The PC is on Windows 7 and the Laptop on Window 8.1 One last thing I have noticed is the external DVD is set for region 2 DVDs whereas the PC is set for Region 1 DVDs and although I have tried altering the PC to 2 the computer doesn't seem to let me do this. Anyway thanks again. John