WnSoft Forums

Belvedere Concert Band

rmstevens

Guest Yachtsman1

I love brass band music, made many shows in the past either featuring or depicting bands. Thought the low light shots very good. Got some judder on the pans, whether this was YouTube, not sure.

Yachtsman1.

For the past ten years I have been recording concerts of Belvedere Concert Band for

their web site. This AV depicts some of the locations in South East England.

https://youtu.be/y1s6Nku5lPI

Regards, Roger

Hello Roger,

I've just played your band show, and i am rather intrigued as to how you managed to record the sound - what recording device, how far away was it from the band, etc.? I am considering doing sound recordings myself, and I am interested in how others do it .

Thanks,

Colin

Guest Yachtsman1

and I am interested in how others do it .

Thanks,

Colin

Hi Colin

How long have you got?

Need a bit more info on what you want to do exactly, sound recording, picture & sound, video picture & sound.???

When we lived in North Yorkshire & I made my epic "Leyburn a Town in Wensleydale" & used various live recordings, local ladies choir, church choir & the local band, the award winning Wensleydale Brass band. This was in pre video days. When we moved to Southport, a mile away from the local Botanic Gardens, where in summer there was a free band concert every Sunday, which re-located to the nearby church if the weather was inclement. Here we went the whole hog with two cameras, one with video facility & my Olympus LS10 recorder. We managed to record 3 concerts, which being in a public park, had to cope with all the noise distractions off screen. The mike (Olympus LS10) for these recordings can be seen in one of the stills & we were around 25 yards from the conductor, but able to walk around the crowd & band for the candid shots. So rather than have me prattle on with info you might not want, be a little more specific.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-37887700-1443432225_thumb.jppost-5560-0-89635000-1443432239_thumb.jppost-5560-0-39668200-1443432255_thumb.jppost-5560-0-67760200-1443432271_thumb.jp

https://vimeo.com/140632070

Thanks Eric, yes I guess I was a bit non-specific there. My wife sings in two choirs, and they always record their concerts, but the chap who has been doing the recordings has struck bad health for both himself and his wife, so the position is more or less vacant.

There are some costs that the choirs will pay, and the choristers buy CDs of the concerts, so the prospect of a little cash looms as well.

Recording venues are usually local churches, and the recording quality I don't think is all that high - they used to do it onto cassettes, so I guess the Zoom H4N recorder can do the job, and I have the gear and programmes to edit and burn CDs.

Things like microphone placement etc are my immediate things to know, but I guess n the end it will come down to experimentation and my ears!

Regards,

Colin.

PS I guess this should really be in the off-topic forum!

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Colin

So can I take it you will only be recording the audio?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS maybe one of the mods can move our posts to the off topic section under a new thread called, say "Recording".

Hi Colin

So can I take it you will only be recording the audio?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS maybe one of the mods can move our posts to the off topic section under a new thread called, say "Recording".

At this stage, yes. No thoughts at present of slide shows using recorded audio, but ...

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks for your comments.

Yachtsman1 - There is no pan judder on the original. I do a lot of Photoshop work on my images.

I did have a problem selecting from the 3400 file images!

Colin - Hand held Sony ECM-MS907 microphone, Sony Walkman MZ-NH900 Mini disc player

and most importantly a Guttmann Microphone Windshield. Stood about 15 feet from band to

try to reduce ambient sounds, slightly to left. Prefer to record with manual level settings but in

this case used Auto. Recording done after the photo shoot. Some recording were ruined by

clattering of cups for the afternoon tea also concert eventually abandoned because of rain.

Sound mixing using Audition 3.

Regards, Roger.