WnSoft Forums

My Dual!!! With A Banjo

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

:wacko:My life in music began as a chorister at the age of 8, this year I had on my bucket list "get & play a banjo" well, I got but play has eluded me I think. This is a tongue in cheek look at my efforts.

Yachtsman1.

"Coming Shortly" as the trailers at the cinema used to say!!!

Guest Yachtsman1

Yep, no play. Frustrating ...

Colin

Hi Colin

After I received the blocking note from YT, I received another email telling me my show was now available on YT. I've just tried it myself & it still ran, strange. However there is more than one way to skin a cat B) B) B) .

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

As I said in my last post, there's more than one way to skin a cat. However my first way wasn't really very good, I uploaded the MP4 to Mediafire because, as I reported a couple of weeks ago, you could now live stream MP4's. So I up-loaded the show which at 120 MB took around 45 minutes. When I tried to run it, I got the same result as my first MF live stream, extensive buffering, even at the lowest quality setting. I did try to allow the show to progress ahead of the run phase, but wasn't having much success. So I skinned the next cat Vimeo. So you should be able to live stream at full screen size the show. The link is https://vimeo.com/140402358

Yachtsman1.

PS for those not familiar with viewing a live stream, to get the full screen size click the quadruple arrow icon to the right of the bottom info bar, if you have poor B/Band strength, you can reduce the quality of the stream by clicking the gear wheel icon which should appear when the show is running, apologies to Kermit!!!

Eric, my friend, you reduced me to tears with your story. "too late" and "if only" are the saddest words to hear from anybody, especially elderly people like us.

And your choice of music, 'Duelling banjos' just adds to the pathos, that track just moves me. Whether it's the simplicity of the melody, just basic arpeggios, the interplay of the banjo versus the guitar just grips me in an emotional embrace. Does that sound foolish? It doesn't feel foolish.

Thank you for a most moving show.

Kind regards,

Colin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Colin

Don't know what to say. I was hoping it would be amusing. I haven't given up on the banjo yet, I bought a music stand on Ebay last night & hopefully, when the shoulder strap arrives I may find it easier to knock out a tune. Thanks for watching.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-37132600-1443249521_thumb.jp

Thanks for sharing that. I never learned to play banjo, but play mediocre to tolerable guitar. I wasn't a "natural," and sure wished I could learn as fast as that video!

Like learning a foreign language--learn young!

A friend and I used to play our guitars together and I loved the incredible surround sound as we played different parts. Then I met a forest ranger who played banjo. I never played with him, but another friend did and their sound together was magical. Years later my daughter played so-so violin with an accomplished Jewish pianist in performances and hearing them play together was almost heaven!

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Judy

Thanks for looking. My first memory of live music was when I attended Sunday school & the pianist played some boogie woogie after the lesson. My biggest regret was not learning the piano, but my family could only afford a 12th hand clarinet. My favourite musical event the Proms has just finished on TV, makes me sad as it means winter is next on the calendar. When I did my first Orchestral lamps I bought two violins to convert to lamps, but eventually sold them on as working instruments.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-44166600-1443258102_thumb.jp

Hi Eric, in my early years I tried to learn the guitar, to no avail, I just managed to agitate everyone in my proximity.

I have wanted to play a musical instrument all my life, but have decided at 75, and no musical talent, to forget it.

Your show is excellent and I enjoyed it very much.

Best regards, robertg

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks Robert. It's amazing of all the shows I've put on here over the years, I never thought this would get such a response. :o

This lunchtime I watched a recording I made a couple of weeks ago of Friday night at the proms, the BBC symphony Orchestra was playing Gustav Holsts Planet Suite with a lady conductor whose name just escapes me. She & the orchestra were sensational, particularly in the opening piece Mars the bringer of war, which has always been a favourite since I saw the TV version of the Quatermass Experiment which had it as the background music, gripping stuff.

Robert, if you have room & the funds, why not get a modern electric organ, many have pre programmed music that you can busk along with or compose your own. You don't need to worry about the neighbours as you can mute the sound & use headphones. :rolleyes:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

Ahhh - now I understand.... Learning to play a banjo takes a little time but the learning curve can be greatly shortened if you would take some lessons from a good picker. It's amazing how much you can learn quickly with just a little help.

I was able to pay most of my college and university tuitions by playing bluegrass. I had the privilege of being lucky enough to play with some of the great bluegrass musicians of past years and learned a lot quickly. I never reached anywhere near the proficiency level of the greats but a friend and I promoted bluegrass festivals in southern California and by doing so were able to hire the best bluegrass bands and talent available and learned a lot just by observing.

Don't give it up - get a good teacher if only for a few lessons...

Best regards,

Lin

I never reached anywhere near the proficiency level of the greats but a friend and I promoted bluegrass festivals in southern California and by doing so were able to hire the best bluegrass bands and talent available and learned a lot just by observing.

Makes me think of Yogi Berra: "You can observe a lot by just watching."

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Ahhh - now I understand.... Learning to play a banjo takes a little time but the learning curve can be greatly shortened if you would take some lessons from a good picker. It's amazing how much you can learn quickly with just a little help.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Picking is the problem, the slow onset of arthritis prevents me moving my fingers the small distances needed for the string spacing on the narrow neck. When I was making lamps out of musical instruments year before last, I bought a couple of guitars, an electric & an acoustic. I just had to try them & could just about manage with a plectrum, but the closeness of the banjo strings & picks on my fingers & thumb has defeated me. Maybe I'll lay off the red wine for a week when the shoulder strap arrives & try again. :P

By the way, there was an Eko banjo the same as mine for sale at $450 on US Ebay, paid £55 for mine + the new case so I should show a profit if I do sell it.

Just checked the US one & the add had disappeared but there is one in Italy at over £200 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EKO-BANJO-MADE-IN-ITALY-ANNI-70-6-CORDE-/291492824189?hash=item43de53847d

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-11358000-1443332599_thumb.jppost-5560-0-86171100-1443332618_thumb.jppost-5560-0-06962000-1443332640_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Reference the above. Just checked my watched list on Ebay & what I thought was an Eko banjo in the US is actually in Germany, but has been removed so I can't leave a link, this is a screen shot of the add.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-68059100-1443333563_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yachtsman1

Just to complete this story, my "duel" with my banjo came to an end last week when I was successful in selling it on. You may say I'm a glutton for punishment, but I have started a new "duel" with a guitar, a Yamaha AC1R Orchestral style electro-electric, in a sunburst colour. I collected it yesterday & last night ordered a tutorial, a practice amplifier & all the bells & whistles to make it easier to play. Who knows I may soon be providing my own music to my shows? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-75749000-1444112843_thumb.jp

My slightly negative view on music is that for every great musician there are probably a thousand that are good but not someone that I want to listen to play. I blame it on the internet and high quality of sound recordings.

I understand people enjoy playing music but after listening to Eric Clapton or <insert your favorite guitar player here> then it's hard for me to listen to anyone else play the guitar. It's nobody in particular that I don't like. It's just that I like Eric Clapton better.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

I think it's a phase I'm going through at present, probably triggered by YouTube flagging one of my recent up-loads as infringing copyright. A friend of ours called around yesterday, Katy who used to live in our building. When we first moved here I found she sang & played guitar & made a show from her stuff, I think it was called Katy's Music? I showed her my new guitar & she couldn't keep her hands off it, started to play & sing along. Katy must be somewhere near the bottom of the pile of competent artists, but I still get a buzz when listening to live music.

While I was in the process of selling the banjo I came across the guitar, which was a bargain & probably influenced me as a good deal rather than learning to play. Also, during my search I came across another instrument which will probably be more practical in my quest for copyright free recordings, I won't say what it is for now, but watch this space,

Kevin Macleod watch your back. :P :P :P

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-41216900-1444201400_thumb.jp

Fine use Eric of your AV skills and your musical interest. I too enjoyed the inside view of your musical heritage. I, like you, in these aging years have felt a tugging on the musical synapses that "might" still be partially active. Although I understand Tom's preference for listening to the best with the always limited time we all have, I find a fondness and even eagerness for live music at whatever level of proficiency. More importantly, the satisfaction of almost any tune coming from one's own hands or voice, can be experienced by almost anyone. I've been nudging Lin to activate his musical talents, because he actually has some developed talent. Maybe if you work on him too? My own musical involvement, all through school, was also with clarinet, but only at school band and orchestra levels. In the last few years, I have become fascinated with autoharp. It is very easy to reach a level of some satisfaction with the instrument. And "out there", there are people who can do amazing things with an autoharp. And for your self-described arthritic hands, the autoharp is likely much, much, easier to play than banjo or even guitar. There is no way I can form chords now on a guitar, but the same fingers can manage the buttons on the autoharp. One of my main uses of PTE in recent years, has been including videos of autoharp fun, all the way from "playing" sounds with our grandchildren to videos of some of the premier players in this country. I invite you to visit my Youtube channel and check out some of the autoharp bits. There are some very active autoharp groups in England and Scotland with some very nice people and their music! And I have used some autoharp from a couple of players as part of some of my AV segments. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVeQlH43Gy4akxiZSQoPNiw should take you to my channel, which includes one playlist specific to autoharp music.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi LL

I did look at the autoharp, but as I would be a solo sound discounted it. I looked at your videos but I think my latest plan would provide me with an across the board interest, possibly matching my PTE use. Hopefully with the extra profit I can accrue selling on the guitar I can afford the next project, maybe third time will be lucky. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

I suppose this is the final nail in my banjo/guitar aspirations? Guitar sold now & my next challenge ordered, a Yamaha MX61 synthesizer!!! Hopefully I can get into it and produce some sounds to get past YT's copyright police?

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-55043400-1444675001_thumb.jp