WnSoft Forums

Sort Slides by Date Taken

It would be nice to arrange slides in slide list in chronological order of the time taken, not easy if you have multiple cameras with different file numbering. I am unclear what "Date" is used in the existing Sort set up.

mickp

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mick

I think like Peter it is a Windows thing. Had a look at an image in my Flickr group where they give comprehensive exif info & there are 3 time headings, can't see how PTE could differentiate which to use without considerable modification.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-41067400-1445527694_thumb.jppost-5560-0-61051100-1445527703_thumb.jp

Hi Mick,

There is a way, (not in the Windows list - but in the Slide List) although it's a manual sorting. If you select all slides in the slide view then click on "Comments" and choose "Insert Text Template" (upper left in blue) then choose "Exif Info" then "JPG Exif Date" or "JPG Exif Time" all slides will be labeled with the date or time respectively taken.

Sort them by dragging as desired then simply select all, repeat the process to delete the visual tag.

Best regards,

Lin

Mick,

Is it, perhaps, best done in your RAW converter or Image Processing software?

I adopted a File Naming Protocol a few cameras ago by changing the Prefix of the File in camera to the camera name so that my images are named:

200_xxxx

201_xxxx etc

300_xxxx

301_xxxx etc

600_xxxx

601_xxxx etc

700_xxxx

701_xxxx etc

720_xxxx

...and with the exception of the glitch between the 700 and the 600 (the 700 came first) all of my files will automatically fall into chronological order. But I accept that it is not always that easy especially when someone has two cameras of different makes etc running concurrently.

My RAW Converter will sort files in a folder and rename them in the following protocol regardless of camera model (but they have to be .NEF):

20040323-024417.NEF ...........Date-Time.

It is very likely that Photoshop, LR etc will do this for a folder of JPEGs provided that you have not discarded the EXIF data but I don't know if the file has to be re-saved during the process. A lot of people I know swear by "PhotoMechanic" for this sort of work but if LR is as good as I am told it is surely it will also do it? When I went to the Cloud I left LR where it was - it is still up there somewhere :)

I don't like renaming my images but if it really is a requirement for someone I think that it is best done by software which is designed for the job.

Hi Mick,

There is a way, (not in the Windows list - but in the Slide List) although it's a manual sorting. If you select all slides in the slide view then click on "Comments" and choose "Insert Text Template" (upper left in blue) then choose "Exif Info" then "JPG Exif Date" or "JPG Exif Time" all slides will be labeled with the date or time respectively taken.

Sort them by dragging as desired then simply select all, repeat the process to delete the visual tag.

Best regards,

Lin

Unfortunately Lin, the JPG exif date is not the date taken but the date modified.

Denis

Hi Denis,

Yes - I see that it is indeed date modified, but wasn't the OP asking about "time?" Maybe he meant date instead. I'm not certain why Igor and the development team have not given us access to the original date in addition to the date modified. It seems as if it would make sense to allow a much larger selection of Exif information. It's been something we have discussed for a number of years. I think we need changes for the next version.

Best regards,

Lin

Windows Explorer Sorts according to Date Created, Date Modified or Date Taken. Not knowing anything about programming but I would think it cannot be difficult for PTE to Sort to any or all of these. Obviously it is not difficult to achieve the required result just quicker for the program to do it for you.

• 3 years later...

We added a new sorting method in the File list to future PTE 10 - Exif Date.

PTE 10 reads an original date of a photo from EXIF tags.

What would be a correct name for this option - Exif Date, Original Date, Date Taken?

Igor - there are four places in a normal  file where date and time are given. Below is an example from Irfanview using a digital photo I took in China in 1999. 

I would suggest using something like EXIF Pilot to put different values in each of these places to be certain which you are calling with the template.. The fist example is in the Properties and the second in the EXIF. If the file is modified or saved again after the original - the Properties time and date will reflect that.

Best regards,

Lin

examplefile1.jpg

example2.jpg