WnSoft Forums

VU meter to adjust sound levels

smokinggoldfish

I would like to be able to adjust the levels of audio tracks in a PTE project using VU meters. I find it hard to get it right by just listening, and have been advised to do it visually by looking at the output instead. I may have narrative, music and ambient sounds on several tracks within a project. I am running windows 10, and can't find a suitable gadget or app. There is a digital display app called "decibel meter" that I downloaded from Microsoft, but it won't run and has very bad reviews. I would in any case prefer a conventional moving needle or bar (like the one in audacity).

smokinggoldfish

Thanks Denis,

I managed to move the Audacity meter alongside PTE as you suggested, but the meter does not operate when PTE is running. It does work as usual in Audacity. I guess the meter is not picking up the sound output signal correctly?

I guess I have to fiddle around with the sound card or audacity settings?

sg

(I did also try to download the old style meter from vuplayer but it does not install with Windows 10...)

For audacity, I select Windows Wasapi (not MME or windows direct sound)

Then click on the vu-meter with the microphone image to monitor the entry.

For The old style vumeter, it's a portable application( no installation). I use it on a pc with Windows 10: after open it, right click and select "always on top"

Denis

Thanks again Denis,

I have got the vumeter running OK, and this works fine with PTE and Audacity.

And after I realised that you had to click on the microphone audacity meter that started OK too and runs while PTE is playing.

Many thanks for your help,

sg

Thanks Mick,

I'm quite happy now with my choice of two meters, and I have two monitors, so the meters can go on the smaller one while PTE runs full screen on the HD monitor. What a great forum this is for sorting out problems!

sg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks jt, I had not realised that this existed in this form, but found it easily enough. Of the three options I now have:

I like the VUmeter as it gives a nice big display that I can put on my second monitor, and it can be set to be always on top.

I also like the Audacity meter, as it gives peak levels. But I have to fire up Audacity so it takes a bit longer.

The Windows Volume Mixer is the least sophisticated, e.g. no scale in db, but could be useful if I was using a PC that did not have the other meters installed.

Thanks,

sg