WnSoft Forums

Split option for Audio files

It will be very useful to have a "split" tool for audio files.
Assume you record commentaries with a vocal recorder and you obtain à file with a duration of two minutes.
You import this audio file into a PTE project and you need to split it in several parts to match comments on views.
Of course it is just a virtual split. In fact the file could be duplicated and trimmed.
Presently, I have to save 3 or 4 differents short files or more from Audacity, and it is boring.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi TB

I believe Video Pad has a similar function, just checked my version but I am getting the "trial expired" message so I can't. May try to re- download a fee version later. BTW I assume you know about the Audacity Split function?

Regs Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-31744800-1449152507_thumb.jp

Yes I know it and I use it !

But I have to create a file for each extract, and it is boring !

attachicon.gifFiles.jpg

Tonton,

I like your suggestion. There is a way, sort of a workaround, that should help for the time being, I think. I understand that if you add the same audio file multiple times, it does not increase the size of the final file. So, you could add your commentary in multiple tracks. At the point of where you would want to 'split' the file, at that point just move the sound level down to zero.

Then, in the next track (the same commentary audio file) make the first section of the commentary not audible until you get to the part you want to continue, and just slide that audio track to match up with the image/video portion where you want it to start. And do the similar settings for the remaining show.

This would be less 'boring' then having to go to another program to do the actual 'splitting' and this might be an easier way of adjusting your sections of audio (until a program change is made that will allow actual 'splitting'.

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

What I do, I record the voice track as a whole into Audacity, then add silences to create gaps between the slides & use the timings in Audacity & PTE as a rough guide. Then fine tune them in PTE's timeline view, I've done that for 8 years & don't find it boring.

However from past comments I understand the audio facility in PTE will be up-graded in version 9. The screen shot shows part of the finished item with VO & music background.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-11575400-1449181347_thumb.jp

Tonto

I think this would be a really good improvement and one that has far more practical use than many I could mention. I did ask for this some time ago, but I think I got bombarded with the usual work-a-rounds, which while they work, are hardly the point and they can get a pain in practice if you need a few of them.

As a practical user of PicturesToExe I often record commentary and although I always record it in short takes, I have a need most of the time to stitch the individual takes together. In that way I can easily run noise reduction on the voice-over at the same time it's stitched together and it works superbly well. Adding noise reduction to individual takes is just too time consuming

When the commentary is in PicturesToExe I often have the need to add a few seconds between sentances and the ability to split the track and slide the next part forward 10s would be a great addition. It's almost an essential for creative work

Tonton

I think this would be a really good improvement and one that has far more practical use than many I could mention. I did ask for this some time ago, but I think I got bombarded with the usual work-a-rounds, which while they work, are hardly the point and they can get a pain in practice if you need a few of them.

As a practical user of PicturesToExe I often record commentary and although I always record it in short takes, I have a need most of the time to stitch the individual takes together. In that way I can easily run noise reduction on the voice-over at the same time it's stitched together and it works superbly well. Adding noise reduction to individual takes is just too time consuming

When the commentary is in PicturesToExe I often have the need to add a few seconds between sentances and the ability to split the track and slide the next part forward 10s would be a great addition. It's almost an essential for creative work

Thank you !

You said it with the right words !

Of course we can survive with the present situation, but the capability we suggest would be of great help.

What I do, I record the voice track as a whole into Audacity, then add silences to create gaps between the slides & use the timings in Audacity & PTE as a rough guide. Then fine tune them in PTE's timeline view, I've done that for 8 years & don't find it boring.

Hi.

Thank you, but this is not the way I work since PTE v8 is available.

I cut my scénario in 5, 6 or 8 parts, and I attach the sound files at each first view of each part, and then I modify the duration of each view in each part according to my taste, and I have no need to go back to Audacity to modify the duration of silences.

Since PTE 8 I consider that all the sound mixage has to be done under PTE.

Audacity remains useful to prepare the sound file, normalize levels, remove noise, expand or shrink the duration, but not mixage operations.

Here are 4 images wich describe exactly what I request:

1 - I insert my voice-over file. I run the project and stop it where I want to cut the voice-over

post-9190-0-51990800-1449224268_thumb.jp

2 I hit the "split" button and this is the result

post-9190-0-71050200-1449224273_thumb.jp

3 I put the second extract at the right place, I continue to listen the project, then stop it where I want to cut again.

post-9190-0-26204400-1449224278_thumb.jp

4 I hit the "split" button and this is the result

post-9190-0-88938700-1449224283_thumb.jp

Of course to-day I can spend some time to do all of that manualy, but it would be nice to have a "split" button...