WnSoft Forums

PTE what level of alpha channel support for video

fxdesigner

Using PTE 9.0.5 - 
I want to include video objects (animation) with Alpha Channel support (inclusion) - 

In reading the help file (online version) there are references to this ability - but the version covered is PTE 8 and the use of software (Particle Illusion by Wondertouch/GenArts) and the Huffyuv 2+ codec which supports videos with transparency.

Both Particle Illusion (2014) and the Huffyuv codec (2003) are obsolete / not supported any longer / not available / incompatible with today's OS (Windows 7+).
Reallusion has a product called PopVideo (3.01) that supports Alpha Channel / transparent background video - BUT....

When trying to insert one of the Alpha Channel videos (MOV - ProRES) into PTE 9.0.5 - using objects / animation options - PTE displays a msg. >> Video (by file name) cannot be found and refuses to insert a working and recognized video format when using other video authoring tools and/or players (Quicktime, VLC, MPC-HC 32/64 bit players among others).

While I have a PLAN B that will work as an alternative method - it is much more time consuming when compared with being able to insert a completed video with Alpha Channel capabilities already compiled. (Plan B includes using a Background image merged with pre-rendered foreground layered transparent / translucent objects or PNG / GIF still sequences compiled into a series of conventional videos known to be compatible with PTE).

I have tried using PTE's ChromaKey option - and while it works to some degree - it doesn't offer the refinement of edges or the fine tuning of both luminosity or transparency / obscuration values of objects like smoke, fog, snow, rain, beams of light or similar type particle objects.

Does anyone have any insight as to a solution / support / inclusion of Alpha Channel video for use in PTE 9.0.5+ ? I have seen a few videos with samples that included a Particle Illusion element or series of elements - but it is not a viable option in terms of current OS systems and PTE. If someone has an opinion, I would welcome your perspective. Thank you.

(I can use and own After Effects / Photoshop / Illustrator / Flash << almost obsolete as well, in addition to owning both a version of Particle Illusion (3.0.9) as a standalone application and plugin for After Effects and Reallusion PopVideo 3.01) - I just was hoping for a more direct approach from within the GUI of PTE.

regards,
FX Designer

Hi,

Currently PicturesToExe 9 supports alpha channel in video files only in RGBA format. Not YUV format.

We plan to add a support of all video formats with alpha channels in future version(s). It's a large work. I think it will be possible once we update video decoders in PTE.

Particle Illusion 3.0 is still available here: https://www.genarts.com/shop?q=shop&/product=35 

I find that it works just fine with my Win 8.1 as well as with my Win 7 and Win XP.  What specific incompatibilities have you found?  

I have many animations using RGB alpha channel output created with Particle Illusions as well as with BluffTitler. The Huffyuv 2+ codec is available for download on the web in many places. It functions fine - I'm not certain what "support" is necessary. It either works or it doesn't. 

Unfortunately, in a presentation slideshow product, extensive chroma key extraction features are not a huge priority. Those type features are generally found in sophisticated video editing software and although there are some really nice video editing features in PTE, it's not designed as a stand-alone video editor. Perhaps in the future there will be more sophisticated chroma key extraction capabilities but not yet. If you have a subject which will function well as a monochrome object, by desaturation or use of the color filters (sepia, etc) it's possible to get a very satisfactory and halo-free solution, but for color objects it's as you have said, lacks refinement. 

If you want to use MOV or other than RGBA alpha channel you need only create or obtain an alpha matte which can then be used as a video mask - see the help file. With the alpha channel video running under the alpha matte as a mask, the other types of alpha channel videos work perfectly with PTE 8 or 9.

As igor said, the current version of PTE doesn't directly support other alpha channel formats but there are plans for them in the future versions(s). 

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you, Igor and Lin -

I appreciate the feedback.
I fully understand the reasoning regarding your responses to my inquiry.
Igor - I look forward to the future updates...
Lin - unfortunately not all machines are created equal - I am currently using both Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) and Windows 10 and the Huffyuv codec doesn't work - I have a Windows XP SP3 unit that I still use for specific instances and the Huffyuv codec performs fine.

Regarding the Particle Illusion comments - yes, you can still purchase it or download the demo - but as I said, it is NOT supported any longer by GenArts other than for license keys or obvious installation issues. In fact, Alan Lorence the author has stated as much. In Sept of 2016 Boris FX purchased GenArts which had a few years earlier acquired the services of Alan Lorence, as well as his flagship software ( via the entity - Wondertouch), Particle Illusion. As of this writing - PI's future is pretty dismal. There are no plans for any further development - The User Forum for PI has been closed and there are no more emitter releases planned and some existing professional emitters are no longer available.

As I previously mentioned - I still use Particle Illusion (3.0.4.1 AND 3.0.9). 

I absolutely appreciate PTE and its capabilities - and have done so since 2003. I realize its place and limitations. I was just asking...
I never considered PTE as a NLE for video - I use Sony Vegas, Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro as my primary resources for video editing applications. Regarding RGBA output - the Largarith Lossless Codec is supported in Particle Illusion and that works for me.  (I will revisit the PTE masking and mattes capabilities).

thanks, again.
FX Designer

Hi FX,

I think you will find using the alpha matte as a video mask will allow you to run any alpha channel video perfectly under either PTE 8 or PTE 9. I was aware that Alan had been hired when GenArts acquired WonderTouch and that there was no current development being done on PI but I wasn't aware that Boris FX had purchased GenArts. It's too bad because PI has been a dynamite staple in particle effects for many years. 

I think you can output the alpha matt from most good video editing software and for certain it can be done with AfterEffects. It works fine with PTE. Just use the alpha matte as a video mask and run your current implementation of alpha channel video under that mask and everything works as expected. If you watch the little video I posted of the waving grass in the PTE Help you'll see it working. In that particular example I created the Alpha matt myself using a freeware video editor but obviously it's better to output the matte directly from your editing software. 

Best regards,

Lin 

Lin,
Just a quick follow-up.
I did a very down and dirty test in a scaled down version and using the matte container of PTE the end result was satisfactory.
With a little refinement, it should meet our needs for a video presentation regarding the 1925 earthquake in Santa Barbara, CA
that measured 6.3 - 6.8.

I am using Particle Illusion to create both a water flow deluge (regarding a hotel tower collapse - the Arlington*, due to a 50,000 gal. water tank (concealed in the tower), bursting - for a documentary and museum kiosk video) and subsequent debris flow of concrete, brick, timber and glass. While not a perfect solution**, it nonetheless is still very good. Again, thanks for your suggestions and point of view. The power of PTE is what shines thru here - using just two STILL images, an Alpha Channel (matte) and a projection video file (containing the debris flow / destruction - computer generated >> PI) - the effect is quite impactful. Couple that with a sequenced soundtrack and audio effects - it does (will) engage the audience. The Alpha Channel Matte (that will be used in PTE) will be created (refined with feathered edges) using both PI and fine tuned using Reallusion's PopVideo 3.01.

(*The hotel was originally built in 1876 - destroyed in a fire (1909) and rebuilt / re-opened in 1911 - a showpiece for Santa Barbara, a massive multi-story structure and compound that occupied a true 4-corner city block, ultimately destroyed by the earthquake and never rebuilt - a simple corner archway is all that remains today).

(** when weighed with the time constraint involved, it is (almost) a perfect scenario). PTE 9 comes through with flying colors! Kudos to Igor and his team.

regards,
FX Designer

Hi FX,

That sound like a great project - we would love to see it when you are finished. Hopefully in the future when a new video decoder can be implemented it will negate the need to use the alpha matte, but until then it's a decent solution I think. 

Glad it's going to work for you!

Best regards,

Lin