WnSoft Forums

Reading emails from a server first?

I read a post recently created by Goddi, where he mentioned that he reads emails on his server. Sounds like a good ides to me but, is it a private server or a national one?  I might be an 'oldie' but I have never heard of this and would like to have some more information.  For example, I am hosted by GoDaddy so am I able to read my emails from that server. 

Also, if an email is deleted from a server, does that prevent it from reaching my own personal email accounts?

Ronnie West.

Hi Ron,

All emails are initially housed on an email server if you use any email service such as Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or private company. When you travel, you can retrieve your emails from virtually anywhere by logging onto the host and navigating to the email section. When you open your email at home from a software program such as Microsoft Outlook or a free email program such as the old Eudora or one of the above, etc., the email is copied from the server to your own hard disk where you can archive it if desired. After a suitable amount of time, if you haven't cleared your emails from the host server and you have read them, they are automatically deleted.

So yes, if an email is deleted from the host it will not be available for download to your personal hard drive. If you contact GoDaddy they will instruct you on how to access your email (webmail) account directly on their server.

Best regards,

Lin 

Hi Ron,

Just as an addition to what Lin states above, when I was working, I used Microsoft Outlook and downloaded all my emails from the server to my computer.  This meant that I had better control of archiving them and also, that I could number them  (as I had a database record of all work emails). Now that I am retired, this is no longer important.  So I keep all my emails on the Gmail web server and this means that I can read them wherever I am on a number of different devices, e.g. phone. tablet, laptop etc.  This is a much better system that downloading emails to your computer.

Jeff

58 minutes ago, Ronniebootwest said:

I read a post recently created by Goddi, where he mentioned that he reads emails on his server. Sounds like a good ides to me but, is it a private server or a national one?  I might be an 'oldie' but I have never heard of this and would like to have some more information.  For example, I am hosted by GoDaddy so am I able to read my emails from that server. 

Also, if an email is deleted from a server, does that prevent it from reaching my own personal email accounts?

Ronnie West.

Greetings Ronnie,

In response to your question, I use Verizon (our Internet provider, or server). They recently gave their email system to AOL, but we are able  to keep our email address and nothing really changed. My server does catch a lot of spam automatically. But many still get through. I have been using a program called Mailwasher that allows me to view all the email left on the Verizon (AOL) server before I download them to  my PC. Mailwasher catches most of the rest of the spam that Verizon (AOL) doesn't catch.

The nice thing about Mailwasher is that I can tag the spam that Verizon (AOL) doesn't catch so they get tagged each time automatically. So when I Process this list in Mailwasher, all the tagged spam gets deleted off the server, and the rest get downloaded to my PC. I have been using the free version for many years, my wife has the Pro version. Best thing since sliced bread.

I have attached a screenprint of a Verizon list emails that were not tagged as spam and the Mailwasher catching most of them as spam. So I need both to help get rid of the tons of spam I get. Verizon (AOL) gets some, and Mailwasher get almost all of the rest. It give me one more layer of protection. You can also view the 'raw source' of each email in Mailwasher. I am pretty sure you can use it with GoDaddy.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

MailwasherVerizon.jpg

I use Gmail, and spam rarely gets through, also all my mail is stored on their severs. (Years worth of it)

I also use HotMail, with my mail stored on their severs.

I did receive the Wnsoft spam, but Gmail thought it was OK, since I had never tagged any from Wnsoft.

Yes, each different host has different rules and capacities, for example: "Google reserves the right to delete your account after a period of nine months if you haven't logged into it in that time. This does put your emails at risk if you are cut off from your account for an extended period of time. Google offers an Inactive Account Manager feature, enabling you to specify a list of trusted contacts who can access and download your messages and other content from Google products after a set period of inactivity. Open the Inactive Account Manager page to set it up."

Lin

Very many thanks to all those who have responded to my post:) 

Goddi, your experience with 'Mailwasher' is very interesting and I will be looking further into it after I have contacted GoDaddy. Thanks for the link.

Ron.