WnSoft Forums

The French at War

A few years ago I scanned a lot of old images taken in the early 1900's for a friend. I have taken a closer look at them recently and I think many people will enjoy viewing them, especially those with a history interest. There are about 160 images, so I made a presentation in two parts.

The images have just been batch processed in Photoshop and Camera Raw, but no spotting or retouching, there are too many. For PC - Mac and Youtube below

The French at War Part 1

The French at War Part 2

BD SS.gif

Very interesting idea. I am sure there will be a military museum somewhere which would be most interested to have a copy.

Yes, I guess you're right, they would probably like the stack of old prints too. They are all about 6*6, but I guess they also may have a commercial value. Knowing nothing about them doesn't help though.

Worth a view and I don't know why I did do this sooner. 

Hi Barry,

thanks for sharing photos from First Word War.

You choose "Maréchal nous voilà" for the last song of Part 1.

I suppose you don't know that this song was made for the glory of Marshal Pétain during the Second World War. He was the head the Vichy Government allied with Nazies.

After the war, he was convicted for treason. He was sentenced to death, (commuted to life in prison because he was old)

Denis

In France, at the TV, this song is always associated with "les collaborateurs", the French who actively colaborated with the Nazzis deporting Jewish people, killing Resistants and Communists.

During the second world war, it was some kind of national hymn, and each pupil had to sing it every morning at school.

Now you know.

If you replace this odious song, we will be numerous to be grateful, for the memories of our fathers.

There is only one location easily identifiable in your slide-show, it is Compiegne:

Compiegne.thumb.jpg.0558b2636d02c5ead97f5b6e84c6cb02.jpg

A very nice place to visit;

http://palaisdecompiegne.fr/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...