WnSoft Forums

PTE 9.14 suddenly uses a lot of memory and program freezing

CorVdK

When creating a new project with PicturesToExe 9.14 I find that the program suddenly consumes a lot of memory.

PTE 9.14 blocks very quickly after a few manipulations. Especially in Objects and Animation the screen freezes frequently.
Even when the Slide list is empty PTE 9.14 uses a lot of memory, see below:

5a4cc20c75efe_PTEgeheugenverbruik.JPG.064ae8b683b982eba056ce10b312304f.JPG

In Objects and Animation, while editing the Animation, settings are suddenly changed inexplicably or the program stops working completely:

5a4cc36f25d9f_animatieblokkeert.JPG.3a5c4c28ac77fa1b17c2723e95ea948c.JPG

2018-01-03-(2).thumb.jpg.4c4ca989059e1aea6a36d1f211ce981d.jpg

2018-01-03-(4).thumb.jpg.d3f65c3086724cbd97a061b852968b22.jpg

2018-01-03-(7).jpg

The biggest problem is that PTE 9.14 no longer responds reliably:

When I want to save my work, the .pte file suddenly disappears from the screen and can no longer be recovered.

PTE 9.14 delete the .pte file instead of saving it. 

I have never experienced such behavior, there were no changes made to my computer and to my knowledge there were no updates for Windows 10.

Computer Specifications:

Intel Core i7-3770 K CPU 3.50GHz

16 Gb DDR-3

x64-based processor

AMD Radion HD 7970 3 Gb PCIe x16

Windows 10 Home version 1709, build 16299.125

Cor,

1. I recommend to uninstall PTE 9.

Re-install PTE 9 again. If the program will suggest import settings from any previous version, please SKIP this action. 

2. Another idea. Probably it's related with certain images/videos files which are located in the File panel when you start PTE 9. Try  to run PTE 9 and quickly change current folder (with simple images). 

Let me know about results.

Hello Igor,

The very best wishes for 2018!

I try to describe the problem as well as possible:

1. I uninstalled PTE 9.14 several times. The problem is, I could not load an older version of version 9, wish I had no problems with in the past. I only keep the latest version (7.510, 8.022 and 9.14).
I loaded version 8 without problems with the same files, but of course not with the same possibilities wish I wanted to try.
I recently did a test with version 9 for exe files of less than 4 Gb and had no problems with it. But then that version 9.?? changed to 9.14 
with which I have these problems.

In order to relieve PTE I recently wiped out all "Slide styles" that are not standard in PTE due to many error messages and blocking of the program.
I have encountered if one load "Slide styles" from different authors you will certainly get problems.

2. In the project I was working in were 56 files. One was 5760x3840 pix or 2719 kb, a few of 3888x2430 pix, one of 2048x2048 pix or 4688 kb and the other files between 23 kb and 1665 kb. I had 7 audio files wish the largest is of 1315 kb and the smallest 36 kb. There were no video files I used. In the past I had no problems with such formats. The exe I finally generated is 83,5 Mb.

3. I finally managed to complete the project, but I had to save the project every 5 to 6 manipulations, exit the program and restart PTE again because the memory was immediately filled with plus 1500 Mb and PTE stopped working.

4. I found following problems when PTE blocked my project, not always the same problem, but sometimes one or the other:
- Objects and animation completely blocked, no manipulation was possible, all data in the boxes disappeared.
- Objects and animation changed my settings randomly, however I had not made any changes myself.

- In Objects and animation when I tried to load a new .png image the program generated an error message "Error loading image ...png", due to the overloaded memory. 
- At one point I tried to save my project and for no apparent reason my .pte file disappeared from the folder where I had saved it.
Then afterwards I saved 4 backup files from my project because I had lost a day's work.
I also searched the .pte file in my permanent backup system, but the file could not be found.
I also looked at "PicturesToExe \ Versions \ 9.0 \ RecoveredProjects" but this folder was empty. Very frightening.

- Countless error messages "PicturesToExe no longer works, the program is canceled". If I had not saved the last manipulations, I lost everything again.

5. I thought the problem might have to do with my AMD Radion HD 7970 3 Gb video card. However I always keep the latest updates. I have now "Radeon-software-adrenalin-17.12.1-64bit".

6. When I start PTE now with my last project the "Task management" shows a memory of 1027,7 Mb. When I change to a new project (without closing PTE and with no files at all) the "Task management" shows a memory of 1033,1 Mb.

Igor, I never had any problems with PTE and I am sorry that I have to bother you with that.

I thank you in advance for any assistance.

Cor

Hi Igor,

I am having the same problem as Cor.

I can add one or two animations to an image, but if I attempt to add more animations the programme unexpectedly closes.

What I am trying to achieve are not difficult animations.

I am able to complete the same  animation project in PictoExe 8 without any problems, but do not have the advantage of multiple key frames.

Thank you,

Perko 

Cor,
Perko,

Thanks for new details.

Please try the following:

1. Start PTE 9.0.14

2. Check memory usage in the Task Manager for PTE.

3. Click New Proejct.

4. In the File tree browse and select another folder where located only JPEG images  (NOT videos) with pixel size not more than 3000 x 2000 and file size up to 5 MB per file.

5. Restart PTE.

6. Check again memory usage in the Task Manager for PTE. Let me know about result.

If everying is OK here, try to work with these small JPEG images (NOT with video files). Will it work correctly?

I suspect that the problem occur with certain video files (or heavy JPEG images). Once these certain files appear in the File list or in the Slide list PTE starts to work incorrectly.

Hello Igor,

I did some testing as you asked:

point 2. memory usage was 1095,8 Mb. Start with my last project, with the used files in the File tree: 56 files. One was 5760x3840 pix or 2719 kb, a few of 3888x2430 pix, one of 2048x2048 pix or 4688 kb and the other files between 23 kb and 1665 kb. I had 7 audio files wish the largest is of 1315 kb and the smallest 36 kb. There were no video files I used.

point 6. memory usage was 101,6 Mb, after start of new project with only JPEG files in the File tree (90 items, pixel size max. 1500x1000 and file size max 932 kb).

So small files are no problem with version 9.14.

Will it be possible to work with larger files in future versions?

Because of the widely requested encoding of 4K video (3840 x 2160). We need to use high quality images for that format.

The most difficult for the user of PTE is when a bigger JPEG file poses a problem or not, even if one keeps the size within the limits.

Kind regards,

Cor

Cor,
Perko,

Thanks for testing! So it seems that this problem is related with certain large image files when this folder is selected in the File tree/list.

Can you send me all files from this folder in a ZIP archive? I'll check it and will find the solution.

Also attach a screenshot of the main window when you see these images in the File tree/list. I need to reproduce exactly same situation as on your computer.